Eight Bits of Jam Will Rock Your NES Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Eight Bits of Jam Will Rock Your NES Games

This unique duo of a piano and sax player will have you enjoying your NES games like never before.

If you can get through the two guys talking during the first 15 seconds of this video, an idea that is genius awaits. Sorry, guy-on-the-right, but you should think before saying "Let's roll the tape, yo." Anyway, these two fellows are Scott Bradlee and Ben Golder-Novick, also known as "Eight Bits of Jam," and they're incredibly talented if this video is anything to judge them by. They will come to your house, or party, or bat-mitzvah, or wedding, or whatever you'll presumably pay them for, and play piano and sax versions of your NES music as you play the actual games on mute.

Sound boring? Watch the video. They don't simply play a song from beginning to end as you play, they play the actual music that would be played on-screen, even through transitions, in their own style. This means that if you go down a pipe, they immediately change to the underground-in-a-pipe song from Super Mario Bros. If you're on the slot-machine screen in Super Mario Bros 2, they play that theme music. Hit a P-block in Super Mario Bros 3 and they play that intermittent music as well. Get the idea?

Not only is this a really clever idea, but the guys are really talented musicians based on this video. If I didn't think it'd be weird to have two guys sitting next to me jamming out as I die over and over in Mega Man 2 I would hire them right away. For a special event, these guys are no-brainer hires.

Also, is it just me or is that the Nintendo version of Final Fantasy II at the end? Pretty obscure, unless I'm missing something, considering that the game was never released in North America on the NES. This gives them street cred! If you want to hire them, contact information is in the video, or you can try visiting http://www.scottbradlee.com/ [http://www.scottbradlee.com/]

(Via: Retroist [http://www.retroist.com/2009/10/09/hire-live-musicians-to-accompany-your-retro-gaming/])

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Wait, these people come into your house and play music for retro games? That seems a little odd, I wonder if they are expensive...

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
That's just awesome, i still love my NES and i love the Sax, i can't think of anything better (although it is 1:30am so that might have something to do with it :p).

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
That is... kind of weird.
But hey! Can't deny they have some great talent there.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This would be a awesome thing to have at a game event or party. They seem really talented and the adding voice to Punch-Out was hilarious.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
That's actually an interesting idea they have going on there. Not all the viable of a money maker unless there is a high end market for something like that by people with way to much miney on their hands.

Tom Goldman said:
Also, is it just me or is that the Nintendo version of Final Fantasy II at the end? Pretty obscure, unless I'm missing something, considering that the game was never released in North America on the NES. This gives them street cred!
I'm fairly certain you are correct sir. It's been a long time since I played the original ff2 but I believe that was it. Way to go on that catch.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
I just usually listen to HORSE the band. Nintendocore music for the win.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
So two random guys will come into your house and play music while you play video games? No offence, but they would probably end up murdering you and taking your stuff.

I'm calling them right now. :D

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
That would be awesome to have them at a party...mute Rock Band/Guitar Hero....and make them do the song...8bit style!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
This could only be used for a party with a retro-gaming theme, that has only one or two people playing one game at a time.

And it would be awesome.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Be kinda odd having two people in the room with me as I play but their music is pretty good.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
The Runnaway Five already do Jazzy versions of video game music.

hehe Though I guess it's not a bad thing that video game music is our generations Standards.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Creative idea, and they are really talented, but I just can't see this taking off. Except maybe at conventions or the like.

Kaill

Mar 21, 2010
Wow, I really hate to Necro, but this is SERIOUSLY awesome.
I would pay some good money to have them come play some Zelda for me as I play on the NES.
How awesome. Jesus.