Eiji Aonuma Teases New Zelda on Wii U for E3 2014

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Eiji Aonuma Teases New Zelda on Wii U for E3 2014

Because it's never to early to start talking about E3, right?

Nintendo may have broken a record here, folks. It's been less than five months since we put E3 2013 behind us and a developer is already teasing a game for next year's show. So who's the culprit? Nintendo producer Eiji Aonuma. The game in question? The new Zelda game for the Wii U.

Speaking with Mashable [http://mashable.com/2013/10/14/legend-of-zelda-aonuma/] about Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds, Aonuma was casually asked if there was anything to say about a new Zelda game for Wii U. His reply was oddly specific:

"I'll say more at E3 2014."

Though Aonuma has already confirmed there's a new Zelda in the works, information on the game is scarce. The producer recently told Japanese outlet 4Gamer [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/02/legend-zelda-producer-asks-traditional/] that development on the all-new Zelda is "going well." Aonuma also mentioned the game will use the Wii U gamepad in "various ways."

With E3 more than 6 months away, Aonuma's statement doesn't can't really be considered an announcement. There's no way of knowing what he and his team will be ready to talk about next June. Even if the current plan is to show the game publicly at E3 - which is not what he suggested - development could be delayed for any number of reasons.

Obviously there's a lot of speculation here. You can only squeeze so much out of a single sentence. If we Aonuma at his word, expect to hear more about a new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U next year.

E3 2014 will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center June 10-12, 2014.

Source: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2013/10/14/legend-of-zelda-aonuma/]

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Well if its a tease for a WII U Legend Of Zelda that will generate hype and get people to buy the console. In the meantime, Ninetendo, could you please work on making a 3DS HD remake of Majora's Mask... you know the best Legend Of Zelda (yh i said it!)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
spartandude said:
In the meantime, Ninetendo, could you please work on making a 3DS HD remake of Majora's Mask... you know the best Legend Of Zelda (yh i said it!)
I would very much like this. Majora's Mask was my first LoZ game and I'd like to go back and replay it, but it hasn't aged well at all. A lot of 3D games haven't aged well. I watched my friend play a little bit of Deus Ex : Human Revolution the other day and it's already starting to look bad. I don't even want to touch the original Uncharted for fear of killing my happy memories.

OT: I don't have a WiiU yet, I guess I have over a year to save up for one.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
If our major news media thinks it's never to early to talk about 2016, then why not the next E3?

I hope it's a Zelda game with some new gameplay mechanics, the series has gotten stale, it's quite sad.

No doubt it'll be a good Zelda game. But I will keep my expectations low once we reach next years E3 I do that with any kind of game these days. Overhype can devastate you.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
So its down to the upcoming Mario and Super Smash Bros games to raise WiiU sales until holiday season next year eh? Let's see how this goes with two other consoles in the mix.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
So, next year they plan to announce when they might give us a reason to buy their system that came out... last year?

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
spartandude said:
Well if its a tease for a WII U Legend Of Zelda that will generate hype and get people to buy the console. In the meantime, Ninetendo, could you please work on making a 3DS HD remake of Majora's Mask... you know the best Legend Of Zelda (yh i said it!)
I wouldn't say best Zelda, Certainly memorable in how... Out There It was. It is a favorite of mine though.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Well, we all know what my game of E3 is!:D As long as nothing goes horribly wrong of course, though Skyward Sword's lame initial showing didn't really hurt it in the long run.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Anoni Mus said:
Berny Marcus said:
If our major news media thinks it's never to early to talk about 2016, then why not the next E3?

I hope it's a Zelda game with some new gameplay mechanics, the series has gotten stale, it's quite sad.

No doubt it'll be a good Zelda game. But I will keep my expectations low once we reach next years E3 I do that with any kind of game these days. Overhype can devastate you.
Yes, because Skyward Sword didn't use 1:1 sword controls at all, comething no Zelda had ever done.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-producer-if-we-dont-change-we-might-die/1100-6410319/

When a Zelda producer says something must change, you know it's gotten stale.

And besides it's just controls, that's not a major change really.