Elden Ring status - nothing til at least 2022

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Apparently there was a closed door Elden ring preview event recently and someone managed to snap clips of footage of where Elden Ring is at. These clips are 3 seconds each and are blurry as fuck. But they showcase Souls-looking dodge rolling and combat on a horse.

This article has more details as well as the clips. Be warned it's technically spoilers but the clips are so blurry and short that I dont think it matters much. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-leaked-elden-ring-trailer-is-being-circulated-online/

But it also details that working-from-home has severely impacted development of the game and they are still quite a ways away from anything releasable.

What it seems is though is Dark Souls with new improvements and a new lore behind it, but ultimately it looks like it's shaping up to be another Dark Souls game. Which is fucking awesome, Fromsoft are the only people that seem to truly understand how to make the Souls games correctly and getting a new game in that same style is always welcome for me.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Whatever it takes to make the game good, I'm OK waiting for. Not sure how horse combat will work in Dark Souls, but I trust Fromsoft.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Whatever it takes to make the game good, I'm OK waiting for. Not sure how horse combat will work in Dark Souls, but I trust Fromsoft.
MY NAME IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA!

I'm sure something like that.

I've stopped paying attention to any rumors about ER. There's a lot of "I know something big about it but I can't tell anyone" floating around and I really don't care. When we get something, we can judge just how true some of these leaks ended up being but right now it's radio silence. It'll happen when it happens.

And of course, the obligatory" Well, they can't finish the game until GRR Martin finishes writing the story, so it's gonna be a while" joke.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
And of course, the obligatory" Well, they can't finish the game until GRR Martin finishes writing the story, so it's gonna be a while" joke.
At this point its gone beyond the joke, the fucking bastard needs to pull his finger out and get his shit together.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
At this point its gone beyond the joke, the fucking bastard needs to pull his finger out and get his shit together.
I'm half convinced he's gonna finish the books, sit on them till he dies and just have his will release the books posthumously. That way the fans can ***** all they want about the ending and he doesn't have to listen to it. Or we can see it as one final act of trolling.

"And then the world was saved by...I don't know.....HODOR! The End."

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
According to himself, and he has a track record of being pretty honest with his fans, 2020 was his most productive year working on ASoIaF since the release of A Dance with Dragons, writing some odd hundred pages. His problem by his own admittance is that he's been very heavily sidetracked by all his other commitments, like Game of Thrones, Elden Ring, the spin-off books etc. and he's not found the time to focus. Lockdown seems to have put him back on track, if it will stay that way after the pandemic remains to be seen.
As someone who has written(not published) before, I suspect the man has issues with writer's block and his way to deal with it is to switch to another project instead of banging his head against the same wall. For some people this is an effective strategy and I've used it myself. However, the inherent downside is that if you switch from project to project to get around writers block, then you run the risk of...well, not finishing stuff.

I have no idea how true this actually is, just tossing it out as a possibility based on what I've seen of him.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*Squints* I...think that was a videogame. Feels very "8chan post claiming evidence of conspiracy" though. So could also be puppets and glow sticks through a vaseline-smeared lens.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
As someone who has written(not published) before, I suspect the man has issues with writer's block and his way to deal with it is to switch to another project instead of banging his head against the same wall. For some people this is an effective strategy and I've used it myself. However, the inherent downside is that if you switch from project to project to get around writers block, then you run the risk of...well, not finishing stuff.

I have no idea how true this actually is, just tossing it out as a possibility based on what I've seen of him.
It leads one to believe he’s really still “finding” the plot, so to speak. Like, he doesn’t strike me much as someone who begins a project with some grand vision or roadmap, filling in the details along the way. Sometimes stepping outside the box for a fresh perspective can work wonders, but others, depending on the project and the writer’s personality/method, could end up leaving your focus more muddled than what you started with. Hopefully with him it’s the former.

Reactions: Dalisclock

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

If this is real then... It's just another Dark Souls, innit?

Let's hope that at least there's proper story telling this time around then and not Dark Souls' usual puzzling and description reading.

Don't need a prolific book author on the project for that.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Let's hope that at least there's proper story telling this time around then and not Dark Souls' usual puzzling and description reading.

I’m thinking Miyazaki’s willingness to branch out, and especially after the Sekiro experiment in a more traditional narrative-driven affair makes me hopeful that they’ll strike a good balance of actual storytelling and intrigue. We’ll see. It’s an interesting pairing to be sure. I can imagine the general dialog between the two over the course of the project going something like this:

Miyazaki: *Riiiing*....*Riiiiing* (get it?!)

Martin: *Zzzzzzz...*snorts*....Hello?

Miyazaki: Greetings, George. How is Elden Ring coming along?

Martin: Wait, what?...Ohhh, yes. Good morning, Miyazaki-San. How are you this fine day?

Miyazaki: ...I, um, it’s night time, George. Forgive me; did I wake you?

Martin: *sigh*...*grumbles*...I...Well, I think I really had something there in the midst of my slumber, but lost it. I will need to start my process over now, again.

Miyazaki: ...Oh. Well, if...

Martin: Patience, Miyazaki-San. These things take time.

Miyazaki: ...I see...

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Yeah, unless this a very ambitious fake using previous FROM games and a lot of modding, it looks like it's very much in the vein of their previous outings. And I think that's all anyone really expected.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
And now I might have to start another bloodborne run...

Reactions: BrawlMan