Elder Scrolls Anthology Tells the Whole Tale of Tamriel

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Tone it down, pal, nobody wants to play those anyway."
Hey, you can say that about the entire set!
Aaaaaaaand what's your point? I could make that comment about any game (or set of games) if I felt so inclined. Did you have some actual point you were trying to make?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Lightknight said:
Are the pre-morrowind titles still playable? I mean, are they able to be enjoyed or has the wretch maker that is time rendered them impossible to enjoy thanks to our getting spoiled by the modern era of graphics and UI?
As a general rule, I label that question under the category of "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'No'". That said, they are still very playable, you just have to be willing to accept that the games are dated and be willing to play around with them to find a comfortable niche. In fact, I think that Daggerfall has one of the better combat systems in a game series that has been for a long time been trying to find the "right fit" for its combat. Amusingly, the combat has gotten less and less interesting with Bethesda's attempts to make the combat "more interesting". The combat in Elderscrolls went from games like Daggerfall and Morrowind having a set of a few types of attacks you can do that have varying effectiveness and/or accuracy, to Skyrim where you just click to swing the weapon.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Ickabod said:
$80 is a steal. Still not getting it. But wow that is a great deal.
Not even. Unless the maps are worth 30$ to you.

And now I'm disappointed. I thought it would be a book about the lore, like the Zelda timeline or the Resident Evil Archives. Boo, I already own the games.

Well if you have none of them, or really want the set look at the individual prices. 60 for Skyrim and DLC, 25 for Oblivion and DLC, 20 for Morrowind. And that is just the digital copies. 105 bucks. Then add in the maps and nice case. So actually a pretty darn good deal.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Fiad said:
Well if you have none of them, or really want the set look at the individual prices. 60 for Skyrim and DLC, 25 for Oblivion and DLC, 20 for Morrowind. And that is just the digital copies. 105 bucks. Then add in the maps and nice case. So actually a pretty darn good deal.
Well here's what you do, wait for the Elder Scrolls day of Quakecon and get all 3 games for $50. This is really not that great a deal. Plus, 25 for Oblivion and 20 for Morrowind I think are outrageous standard prices.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Did they censor the games at all?

Those older games had some wild character models, lore, and books and the games are worthless to me if they did some revisioning and meddling.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Alcaste said:
As awesome as this is, I'd like to point out to anyone interested that you can still get Daggerfall from their website for free. The whole thing.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/
Same with Arena. [http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/]

CrossLOPER said:
What I do want to know is if the version of Skyrim in this lot is on or off Steam.
Did they ever release a version that was off Steam? If not, then I doubt they would produce a separate Steam-free version just for this set. Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Fiad said:
Well here's what you do, wait for the Elder Scrolls day of Quakecon and get all 3 games for $50. This is really not that great a deal. Plus, 25 for Oblivion and 20 for Morrowind I think are outrageous standard prices.
It's an extra fee for the hard copies, though. This isn't really for people who want to play the games so much as collectors who want the pretty box. If it was just to play, Arena and Daggerfall wouldn't even be included, or if they were they'd be combined on one DVD. Assuming I have a job by then, I may very well buy this thing at full price, and I already own hard copies of three of the five games -- one of which, believe it or not, is a disc only copy of Daggerfall. I also /never/ pay launch price for a videogame, the last time I did was back in the PS2 era.

Edit: Also, to everyone complaining about Battlespire and Redguard not being in the set, I agree, it's a shame. Although it's at least as big a shame that there's no ports of the cell phone and N-Gage entries in the series. I doubt there's even an emulator for the ones that were made for old feature phones, which means sooner or later they're going to be totally lost to history. At least the two PC based spinoffs can be jiggered to run on modern computers if you know what you're doing, and they're out there both legally (as used copies) and illegally, so there's no fear of them becoming lost titles.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
As nice as this is, Steam's already got me all set with everything here, along with the free copies of games from their site.

I suppose this might catch the eye of someone who has heard about the games but never played them, or someone who just wants extra copies, but it's not nearly enough to make me buy everything again, especially not at these prices.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
The price, considering the content, is great. Even though I've played most of the games already, I will most likely buy this.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Lightknight said:
Are the pre-morrowind titles still playable? I mean, are they able to be enjoyed or has the wretch maker that is time rendered them impossible to enjoy thanks to our getting spoiled by the modern era of graphics and UI?
As a general rule, I label that question under the category of "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'No'". That said, they are still very playable, you just have to be willing to accept that the games are dated and be willing to play around with them to find a comfortable niche. In fact, I think that Daggerfall has one of the better combat systems in a game series that has been for a long time been trying to find the "right fit" for its combat. Amusingly, the combat has gotten less and less interesting with Bethesda's attempts to make the combat "more interesting". The combat in Elderscrolls went from games like Daggerfall and Morrowind having a set of a few types of attacks you can do that have varying effectiveness and/or accuracy, to Skyrim where you just click to swing the weapon.
There are games that artistically rendered that will stand the test of time and then there are games that shoot for realism at a time when graphics weren't even close to reaching it.

There is a huge list of games that are not dated. I can still enjoy games from the 80's, let alone 90's and 00's. But there are just some games whose mechanics are SOOOooo dated and the graphics were trying so hard that it's really difficult to play now. I mean, have you really gone back and played the original 007 multiplayer on the original N64? I did, last month.

Battle mechanics are my very lowest concern of almost any game.

llafnwod said:
Lightknight said:
It's pretty bad. Think "Doom"-style 3D. Still, it's worth playing games like that every now and then so exactly what you said doesn't happen and you can still enjoy them.
Doom is fairly hard to go back an play for an extended amount of time. I have fond memories of it, heck, I still have it, red cartridge and all. But it hasn't aged well at all.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.
Several titles have dropped DRM, including Steam, and appeared on GOG. I know for a fact Ubisoft has adopted this practice for slightly older games and Penumbra and Amnesia have appeared there earlier this week.

It's possible. Doubtful, but possible.
I'm talking retail games that require Steam. And Ubisoft discarded their own DRM because everyone hated it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nurb said:
Did they censor the games at all?

Those older games had some wild character models, lore, and books and the games are worthless to me if they did some revisioning and meddling.
I doubt it, seeing how my free copy of Daggerfall has all its breasts intact.

OT: It's less of a great deal when you remember that Arena and Daggerfall are currently free. I'm not going to buy it, but I'd pay $150 for the anthology if it had cloth maps instead of printed.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Not until Steam is implicated in some massive scandal a la Origin will any major publisher even think of releasing a Steam-free version of a previously Steam-exclusive game.
Several titles have dropped DRM, including Steam, and appeared on GOG. I know for a fact Ubisoft has adopted this practice for slightly older games and Penumbra and Amnesia have appeared there earlier this week.

It's possible. Doubtful, but possible.
Skyrim is too tied to Steam Workshop. It's not gonna happen.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Skyrim is too tied to Steam Workshop. It's not gonna happen.
Why not? It's not like that's the only stop for Skyrim mods.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
This isn't really for people who want to play the games so much as collectors who want the pretty box. If it was just to play, Arena and Daggerfall wouldn't even be included, or if they were they'd be combined on one DVD.
I guess it's for collectors, yeah... I just don't think pretty boxes are worth that much.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Edit: Also, to everyone complaining about Battlespire and Redguard not being in the set, I agree, it's a shame. Although it's at least as big a shame that there's no ports of the cell phone and N-Gage entries in the series.
And yeah, I was thinking "why didn't they include the Oblivion mobile version that I saw so much of in the Oblivion installation images all those times".

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Lightknight said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Lightknight said:
There are games that artistically rendered that will stand the test of time and then there are games that shoot for realism at a time when graphics weren't even close to reaching it.

There is a huge list of games that are not dated. I can still enjoy games from the 80's, let alone 90's and 00's. But there are just some games whose mechanics are SOOOooo dated and the graphics were trying so hard that it's really difficult to play now. I mean, have you really gone back and played the original 007 multiplayer on the original N64? I did, last month.

Battle mechanics are my very lowest concern of almost any game.
The games are just fine, graphically, as well. Then again, this is coming from someone who can play System Shock 2 without any mods to "improve" the graphics (note the quotations, because honestly I think the "improved" character models in that game are butt-ugly, but I guess more polygons are more polygons, and that's how people judge their games). The only hang-up with Daggerfall is finding a comfortable niche with the controls, but that shouldn't be much of an issue if you're someone who enjoys playing older games (since a lot of older games have clumsy controls by today's standards).

And yes, I agree... playing Goldeneye today is like stabbing my eyes with needles... >.>

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Amazing deal and I would absolutely buy it if it weren't for the fact that I own all of those games except for Arena. This really is one of the best deals I've seen.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Not enough to be worth that price. I would've considered it if it had Redguard and Battlespire and a selected mods that come installed with the games. Otherwise, there's not much justification to get it, especially for people who already own Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim (which all Elder Scrolls fans already have).

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
More maps?
*looks at my framed skyrim map*

These will be excellent additions to my collection, I also never got around to getting the oblivion and skyrim PC versions so this will be awesome.