Elder Scrolls, Fallout, More Classics from Bethesda Arrive on GOG

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Elder Scrolls, Fallout, More Classics from Bethesda Arrive on GOG

Bethesda opening the vault to online retailer.

GOG.com has announced a partnership with game publisher Bethesda to sell DRM-free versions of classic titles from their back catalog. Fourteen games have become available at the online retailer starting today.

Five Elder Scrolls titles are included in this launch. The first two games in the series, Arena and Daggerfall, are being offered for free with the purchase of any Bethesda game, while later games Redguard, Battlespire (both available for the first time digitally), and Morrowind come at a 33% discount if you buy all three.

First-person shooters from id Software are available now as well. You can pick up The Ultimate Doom and Doom II (with the Master Levels and Final Doom expansions) in the shop, as well as Quake bundled with its two mission packs.

Finally, this new partnership brings Fallout back to GOG.com. The first three titles in the series had been a launch offering for the service, but became unavailable for purchase near the end of 2013. Today, you can once again purchase Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics.

Source: GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/news/bethesda_softworks_its_way_to_gogcom]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Five Elder Scrolls titles are included in this launch. The first two games in the series, Arena and Daggerfall, are being offered for free with the purchase of any Bethesda game, while later games Redguard, Battlespire and Morrowind come at a 33% discount if you buy all three.
Just to note, Daggerfall and Arena have been free for quite a bit of time now, and are still free on The Elder Scrolls' official site under each game's title page.

Otherwise, thats pretty cool that I can get the few ES games I don't own with no DRM. Happy happy joy joy!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Hmm, GoG is telling me that I don't own the Fallout games yet, even though I have them already in my library.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Tiamat666 said:
Hmm, GoG is telling me that I don't own the Fallout games yet, even though I have them already in my library.
I'd report it to the their Customer Service. They're usually pretty good about responding in a timely fashion.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Cool, even less excuse for those yet to have Brutal Doom in their lives.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
The lack of Terminator: Future Shock is a bit of a disappointment since most of the other shooters are actually by id, but it's an okay start. Though I imagine there's some big confusion as to what the difference betweeen the "non-classic" and "classic" Fallout games over this as I'd like to know myself.

Oh and by the way, while I really don't have anything against GoG, don't get fooled by their free Arena + Daggerfall offer. It's not necessary to buy anything to get them, unless you want it on your GoG account. Just go the TES site to download them ( Arena [http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena] and Daggerfall [http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall], respectively) and you can get it running under DOSBox.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Dr.Awkward said:
The lack of Terminator: Future Shock is a bit of a disappointment since most of the other shooters are actually by id, but it's an okay start. Though I imagine there's some big confusion as to what the difference betweeen the "non-classic" and "classic" Fallout games over this as I'd like to know myself.
That would require for them to re-license Terminator, which would cost quite a penny these days, so I don't think it's ever going to GOG.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd still love to see a version of Fallout 3 that would play nice with Windows 7. But as I believe the original was tangled up in GFWL nonsense, that might be beyond even the wizards at GOG.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Arena and Daggerfall do have pre-configured DOSbox going for them, if you don't feel like setting them up yourself.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Well this presents an unusual dilemma for me.

On one hand, picking up five classic Elder Scrolls games for $20 isn't a bad deal. On the other hand, I could always wait a month for them to pop up on Steam, as what seemingly happens with every game GoG gets distribution rights to (e.g. System Shock 2, I Have No Mouth Mouth and I Must Scream, Harvester). Owning them on Steam would come with the bonus of have almost all of the Elder Scrolls series on one platform.

I doesn't help that I already have "totally legitimate" copies of Battlespire, Future Shock and SkyNET; the latter two not being offered by this deal. Honestly, I don't understand what copyright sorcery is keeping Bethesda from allowing the entire five-game Terminator titles they produced from being distributed.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Scrythe said:
Well this presents an unusual dilemma for me.

On one hand, picking up five classic Elder Scrolls games for $20 isn't a bad deal. On the other hand, I could always wait a month for them to pop up on Steam, as what seemingly happens with every game GoG gets distribution rights to (e.g. System Shock 2, I Have No Mouth Mouth and I Must Scream, Harvester).
Pretty sure the Steam versions lack GOG's "will run on modern systems" wizardry.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Too bad that I already have all three Fallout games from before from GoG and TES3 and 4 laying around here somewhere with TES5 on Steam. So, I would have no reason to buy any of them on GoG, meaning I am a bit out of luck with TES1 and TES2 unless they give them out retroactively.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Callate said:
I'd still love to see a version of Fallout 3 that would play nice with Windows 7.
http://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/alpha-download-v294b

Allows you to play Fallout 3 as a mod for Fallout New Vegas. You start in Fallout 3, and can go to New Vegas whenever you want.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Damn... I nearly dropped everything to go purchase all the Elder Scroll games now... then I remembered my experience with Daggerfall... how I spent ages setting up a character only to be mega confused at the controls, and then got annihalated by a rat. I didn't understand what was happening and got disorientated repeatedly.

I may give them a miss and stick with Morowind+.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
toms said:
Pretty sure the Steam versions lack GOG's "will run on modern systems" wizardry.
Indeed. I have all the old Fallouts on Steam, but 1 and 2 don't work at all and Tactics has some really weird shit going on with the graphics that makes it pretty much unplayable. At least when you get things on GoG you can be reasonably sure they'll actually work.

Callate said:
I'd still love to see a version of Fallout 3 that would play nice with Windows 7.
My Steam version works perfectly on Win 7. Can't remember if it needed compatibility mode, but it certainly didn't need anything more complicated than that to get it working.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Alright... I'm sorry but shipping DOSBox along with Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall does NOT count in my book in terms of making them able to be "run on modern systems." It's just the exact same old-ass games but with DOSBox attached. I mean, come on now.

I understand that they can't take the time and money to port over a... What... 10-year-old plus game over to modern OS's and systems but just don't tell me that just because you shipped another third-party program with it that it's going to magically just work. ESPECIALLY considering how finicky and crash-happy both Arena and Daggerfall can get.

:mad:

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Kahani said:
008Zulu said:
Thank you both. My wife has been curious about 3, having played New Vegas, but my boxed copy and her Win7 machine don't get along. Good to know we have some options (Steam doesn't mention F3 as Win7 compatible, but they've been wrong about OSs before; it's just nice to have some reassurance.)