Elder Scrolls Online- Leveling Guides Are Going to Ruin The Game (with video).

trekkiesailor

Jan 24, 2014
Watch this video first...they are selling leveling guides that "supposedly" jumps your ESO character up 50 levels in less than a week.... this is going to ruin the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRwOpGx-UM&feature=youtu.be

Why would you want to get to level 50 in just 4 days? The fun part of an RPG is ROLE PLAYING... Watching your character grow, learning new abilities, fighting styles etc. Life would be super boring if we went from age 1 to age 50 in 4 days. We would miss all the fun of growing as a person... why would you want to take the fun out of growing as a character. ROLE PLAYING GAME.... if I was level 50 in a game almost instantly... I would get bored very quickly. The fun challenge in a MMORPG is running around fighting with people who are a higher level then you. Learning from your mistakes... learning how to beat a level 20 character at level 15... etc. I'm sure they will make great money off of this due to all the 12 year olds playing MMORPGS now, instead of skilled dedicated gamers who understand why we role play in games... not to just be the biggest and baddest fighter on the battlefield and trash talk, but to grow and develop as character. I encourage people to help each other out in games (bouncing strategies off of each other on in-game chat, grouping up to defeat big bosses etc)... but creating a leveling guide that practically shoots your character up 50 levels in less than a week!??! In a gaming industry.. you shouldn't be encouraging gamers and game developers to hold people's hands and show them what to do in an RPG. The challenge and FUN of it is to explore and learn on your own, with friends, or with a guild. With this "leveling guide" its going to give a lot of people a cheap way to level up instantly... I don't know how the ESO developers can allow this.. or genuine gamers for that matter.

What do you all think? Please be respectful of me and each other... everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

"I aim to misbehave"
-Trekkiesailor

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
If the dev don't want people to rush levels, then don't keep implementing things that encourages rushing:
- Get rid of the "you must be THIS tall to wear this armor" requirement. This is perhaps my #1 reason to rush levels (fashion over function, baby). Still have that requirement ONLY for trades (ie you can't trade a lvl 24 piece of equipment to a level 8)
- "LFR min 25" and so on and so on...
- PVP: level 50.damage > level 30.damage

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Sure you haven't seen even basic mentality of WoW? It goes something akin to "only endgame matters", and thus it also spreads to ESO. Doubly so, seeing as Zenimax aims to compete with Blizzard.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
End game is all that matters to me. I only PVP so end game content is the only fun stuff. Better balance viable world pvp, fully unlocked moveset etc. its why I love WoW they make it so easy to level. Yeah you can do the whole quest through the zone crap or you get throw on heirlooms, and whatever bonus you have at hand enter dungeon finder and hit 60-80 in an afternoon.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Err, you're complaining that some random third party group made a leveling guide to the game? Why blame the developers on something that is entirely not related to them? And how does it ruin the game that a small fraction of players is going to grind to level 50 during the course of a half week? They'll ruin their own experiences, but it's completely irrelevant to you (or at least it should be).

Just calm down. Plenty of games have FAQs / guides available on the internet. It doesn't affect the quality of the game.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
People are going to play how they want. People that rush through a game miss a lot of the content, whether that is better or not depends entirely upon the person. Of course, they are far more likely to get bored of the game more quickly but then they don't have to pay a sub fee :p... to each his own. The point of a game is that we can play it our way. Trying to railroad anyone into a particular play style or path is a sure way to doom a game.

Moriim

Jul 12, 2010
Here's the kicker: not everyone plays RPGs to develop their character.

Pretty much every single "progression" raider in WoW couldn't care less about his character or the story or overcoming challenges. World first guilds in WoW spend hours and hours in Betas and PTRs putting in attempts at bosses and doing quests ahead of time so they can get through it faster on live. Because that isn't the content they want from the game, they want to be doing raids. That's the market that I feel this guide is meant to appeal to, at least that's who they seem to be advertising towards.

Specifically for me, I'm not particularly impressed with the quests so far, at least for DC. I made it through the first two zones and there were only a handful of the 150-ish quests that I actually enjoyed. None of them had interesting mechanics or any gameplay that I haven't played in WoW, GW, EQ, etc.

So if you're like me, and don't enjoy the quests as much as I do the dungeons or the AvA; why not skip ahead and get to the best that content has to offer ASAP?

Slightly off topic:

The biggest issue I have with quests is that they feel very theme park-y. You go down the rails and thwart the next evil organization trying to overthrow the regime. You get the king or whoever congratulating you before sending you to the next area where you fight the next evil organization and repeat more or less the same process of investigating, fighting, and ultimately beheading the cult or whatever.

Ironically, WoW's most recent expansion, that received all of that ridicule, did a pretty fantastic job of weaving a narrative throughout the entirety of the lvl 85-90 questing content. Each zone had different enemies and objectives, but rather than being loosely connected to the nebulous big baddie in the case of ESO, Blizzard had players following specific NPCs and interacting with them in quests all the way through. It did a pretty great job of making each quest feel a little bit more significant, on top of the great quest mechanics that Blizzard's been improving on steadily throughout the years.

I was kind of excited by the first few levels in Beta since there were likeable characters that seemed to be consistently present, but later those characters seem to only exist in maybe 10% of the total quests, while the other 90% is populated with forgettable NPCs asking you to complete forgettable tasks.

Sometimes a character will recur, but I seem to rarely notice it, as a friend I was questing with was talking about a quest we did a couple hours ago and I didn't believe him that it was the same guy. It doesn't help that there seems to be a grand total of 7 guys voicing every single male DC quest-giver in the first two zones.

I haven't done any end-game content yet, but I hope it's got more thought put into it than the generic forgettable trope-filled quests that make up the 1-30 experience I've had so far.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
It's simple - ignore the guide. just like I ignore any guide referring to vampyrism or werewolves. I know they're there and I can be one. Anything else I'd rather find out on my own. ESO is a very open-ended game in regard to leveling. You can go to the starter islands, or not, there are a few quest chains leading to reasonable rewards and a "maybe I'll see you in the next area", with plenty of single quests in between, even traveling merchants so that you don't have to go back to a town to empty your bag. You can even quest around the pvp area if you so choose, skipping the actual pvp entirely in lieu of exploration into the cities occupied by daedra and surrounding towns. What I'm saying is that you have options, and leveling guides don't have to affect them one bit unless you want them to.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
as a person who legit leveled a character to 100 in Oblivion (yes, 100.), I have to say, levelling guides have been "ruining" games for a long time.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
trekkiesailor said:
The fun part of an RPG is ROLL PLAYING...
I roll play Kaisers.
What do you all think?
Just because you take your fun from putzing around, smelling the roses does not mean that's the only way to play the game, or the only way to have fun.

If someone wants to get to the level cap as soon as possible, power to them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No true Scotsman uses levelling guides!

Yeah, newsflash, there are other people on the planet and many of them enjoy different things to you.

Besides, if " the fun challenge in a MMORPG is running around fighting with people who are a higher level then you" then you should be happy since there will now be lots of people higher level than you who you can now fight for a fun challenge.

Have fun!

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
But there's been leveling guides for every game ever since forever. How is this any different? Well besides they're asking people to pay which I can't imagine being overly successful, for too long anyway...

Why does it bother you? People look for all kinds of different experiences with MMOs (or any game for that matter) and for some a guide will help them to get through what they consider tedious bits faster so they'll get to spend more time doing what they enjoy doing.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Where I come from roll playing is a derogatory term for min-maxers and munchkins who are more interested in maximizing the stats they've chosen to focus on (usually combat) and that would rather roll a die than role play. It made the OP a bit confusing for me, since powerleveling to max level in 4 days seems to me like an excellent example of roll playing.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
First of all, it's 'role playing,' not 'roll playing.' 'Roll playing' is when you min/max or just rush to the end. Secondly, it's not up to you to decide what is and isn't fun.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Denamic said:
First of all, it's 'role playing,' not 'roll playing.' 'Roll playing' is when you min/max or just rush to the end. Secondly, it's not up to you to decide what is and isn't fun.
I was just about to point out the irony ( is it irony?) that the OP criticize Roll play behaviour and then missspell Roleplay into Roll-play as the supposed superior alternative.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I'm glad I got chosen to be a Beta tester because this game was SOOOO lackluster. It's a poor man's Skyrim really.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well lucky for you to still see MMO's as story RPG's, but for anyone who has been grinding them for years it all boils down to basic math at this point.
Where do I get the best XP/loot and how fast can I get to endgame... is what 80% of the people will be thinking of.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
dyre said:
Err, you're complaining that some random third party group made a leveling guide to the game? Why blame the developers on something that is entirely not related to them? And how does it ruin the game that a small fraction of players is going to grind to level 50 during the course of a half week? They'll ruin their own experiences, but it's completely irrelevant to you (or at least it should be).

Just calm down. Plenty of games have FAQs / guides available on the internet. It doesn't affect the quality of the game.
I'd say the complaint isn't about the existence of such guides but rather points to a problem with player mentality. The goal of getting to the end quickly is broadly equivalent to playing Skyrim for the first time only to try and complete every major quest as efficiently as possible. In a game that is very story driven a mentality built from years of WoW where the best stuff was found at the end can be wildly counter-productive.