Elder Scrolls Online Screenshots Fail To Impress

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Nfritzappa said:
So does this mean third person turn based hordey combat?

:(

I'm not sure where "turn based" comes into play, but yeah, third person, and hotkey (or "skills" if you want to fancy it up like Tera or EQ)
Wow. How can they call it Elder Scrolls if its only in 3rd person...?

RafaelNegrus

Mar 27, 2012
OT: I looked at these pictures and just went ewwwwww. I doesn't really look like WoW to me, looks more like Fable, which is not a good thing. It's not that they don't have enough color, it's thatthey have too much so nothing stands out quite so much. Think about it, in Skyrim most of the scenery kinda blends with, either white, green, or brown, so when you summon up a Flame Atronach it always immediately stands out. Here EVERYTHING blends.

Off-topic: Also, can anyone think of a way the combat in high level PvP WOULDN'T be unbalanced if they keep the Skyrim combat system? Honestly, melee guys are going to tear everyone up, just because it's impossible to miss up close

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
To be fair, this screencap does kinda remind me of morrowind. But thats probably because of the lighting and subpar textures on the bridge etc.

Captcha: French phrases... Uuhh I dont know.. Je me rends?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RazadaMk2 said:
In short I am saying I understand why they always end up with two factions. And why there will NEVER be a good 40k MMO. Balance just would not work. It was not as much of an issue in WAR. But in 40k? Half the awesome is the lack of balance. But making the universe balanced would fuck the lore to hell. *sigh*
Any PvP focused MMO that does not feature at least three factions is doomed to failure. You need a third faction to dynamically balance the populations. Otherwise, once one faction gains momentum, it accumulates more and more players, tipping the scales irreversibly. This happened across ALL WAR servers, with Chaos more often than not holding a comical numbers advantage that created intolerable scenario queues and completely broke open world RvR. The you need to scramble to tempt players back to under-represented factions with outrageous bonuses, which borks your balance, and so on and so forth.

In DAoC, the third faction always served as a balancing agent. When faction #1 got out of hand, factions #2 and #3 could and often would declare an unofficial truce and work together against the cresting faction, bringing them back to earth.

You always need at least 3. Fortunately, designers seem to be learning this, as almost every new MMO with allusions to PvP game play are bragging up the fact they have 3 factions.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Seanfall said:
No it's a new story, but from what can be gathered the gameplay is almost a carbon copy of wow's combat system. I don't know if it's going to STAY that way but it's disconcerting to say the least.
So....it's not Skyrim with co-op? Oh...I guess it's another MMORPG I'm not going to play then...
'sigh'

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Pity they decided to go for the amazingly simple and bland approach. Moreover, one of my personal favourite armour sets, the Orcish Armour, can be seen in one of the many screenshots available. And it does not look heavy, or even metal. It's the same bloody felt flower petals that too many designs have.

At least we won't have any unrealistically high expectations of it any more.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Mick Golden Blood said:

Enough with the crappy, generic, fantasy, copy/paste, cheap pieces of shit MMOs.

Honestly, when will it end? Right, when they stop making money off of it of course.

Why not a GTA-styled MMO?

A well-developed, interesting postapocalyptic MMO?

A Gritty Mount and Blade styled MMO?

Perhaps an MMO during the Civil War era of the US, where with the North American continent, Spain, Britain, and France fighting for control with indian tribes on several different sides?

Come on!
I would so buy a MMO set during the US Civil War! Just think of the possibilities: forming a party of friends to carry out cavalry raids behind enemy lines, PVP instances in famous battles and seiges, a levelling up system that has you being promoted in whichever service your character is in (so you could be a Union regular or a Confederate bushwhacker for instance).....