Elder Scrolls Turns V at Spike VGAs

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
NLS said:
It does remind me slightly of the previous Morrowind and Oblivion soundtracks. Probably a new score based on the good old tracks. So I guess you'll have to wait for more trailers and the game itself for the full experience
Argh... Why don't we have cryostatsis pods already?!

Despite my lack of interest in Oblivion, it did have quite a score to light up your day with!

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
YEEESSSSSSSSS!!!! Finally it's announced! How long I have waited for this day!

Anyway, dragons are cool, but I don't really see how you could fight them with the normal fighting system in TES games. I'm kind of worried that they'll have QTEs...

Sucks that it's apparently on the same engine again...but whatever, it'll still be lots of fun.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
O_O

Can't....wait....

Oblivion was the first next-generation game I got and I thought to myself, "What else could I possibly need?"

Indeed, for several weeks, I didn't need anything else.

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
Axelord FTW said:
If I check my old Thamriel map, Skirim is smaller than Cyrodiil.

I hope they either extend the canonical playing area or let you wander of (go to) untold locations (islands, Oblivions, other planes).
Well, I haven't read The Infernal City, or whatever, but the Elder Scrolls wiki has informed me that after the Oblivion Crisis Skyrim has invaded some of Hammerfell and High Rock; and also that Skyrim has been trying to take over Redoran parts of Morrowing (or Daedra have, depends on who you ask in Oblivion). I'm thinking that Solthsiem (I can't spell that) and maybe a bit of Morrowind making an appearance may not be out of the question.

Even if they are, though, I got excited like a little kid on Christmas when I realized it was Todd Howard on the stage.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
My God, I'll be broke until 2013!
Mass Effect 3, Prototype 2, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, Arkham City, Resistance 3, Little Big Planet 2, Ms. Splosion Man, Infamous 2, Gears of War 3, Brink, Killzone 3, Portal 2, and thats just what I can think of at the moment. I can't wait for another 100+ hours to fly by, especially when it releases close to my birthday. As I said, I'll be broke for a long time!

May 23, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Not like Oblivion, not like Oblivion, not like Oblivion...
Whats wrong with Oblivion, the only badthing I can think is my computers to crappy to run it well :p
It was just boring. Enemies scaling with you, boring looking asthetics - the only thing they improved were the graphics and the combat. I miss Morrowind and it's badass design. Just... less brown, Bethesda.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ionveau said:
It better change the engine or it will suck hard how old is their engine like 15 by now?
Oblivion came out 4 years ago.

They should at least refine the engine so you can move stuff other than what you can pick up. "DERP THIS CHAIR IS INVINCIBLE!"

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Double A said:
ionveau said:
It better change the engine or it will suck hard how old is their engine like 15 by now?

They should at least refine the engine so you can move stuff other than what you can pick up. "DERP THIS CHAIR IS INVINCIBLE!"
Almost 5 years ago and they can't really change/improve on the engine too much because they're still bound by todays console hardware (with PC apparently out of the equation and only an after-thought) so they'll probably stick with it and/or similar for another 4 to 5 years from now...
Well, that's true. And lame.

At least the game would feel better, they already have a game under their belt with the Oblivion engine, so Skyrim would be better because of experience.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Whats wrong with Oblivion, the only badthing I can think is my computers to crappy to run it well :p
It was just boring. Enemies scaling with you, boring looking asthetics - the only thing they improved were the graphics and the combat. I miss Morrowind and it's badass design. Just... less brown, Bethesda.
Less brown Oblivion is pretty green! Morrowind was green and grey If I remember right.
Still I love both of them.
Hopefully this on will be good.

May 23, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
imnotparanoid said:
Less brown Oblivion is pretty green! Morrowind was green and grey If I remember right.
Still I love both of them.
Hopefully this on will be good.
Oblivion definetely wasn't brown :p
What I'd like to see is Mount and Blade's combat (but tighter controls and more movement oriented, for pete's sake), Morrowind's artistic design and sense of awe and lack of fast travel and good exploration, and Oblivion's Patrick Stewart.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Okay, I've calmed down. This would happen after an eternity of waiting and only after I've quit modding, playing and going on ES-related forums. Still, it's fun to imagine the chaos over there right now.

It's Skyrim, and no one in surprised.

And not that ES ever handled dragons in an involved or compelling way, but if the plot is omfgwtf Dragon! I'm going to be pissed. And if Bethesda makes a Skyrim game as an excuse to harp on every nerd's Viking fetish with Beowulf references thrown in to placate the high brow, I'm going to spit in the grave of their creativity that Oblivion dug. Don't let me down, people. Stuff your ears with something to block out Todd Howard and hire your old friends to be contract writers on everything.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Don't know if it's worth mentioning, since there's so many comments here about the 'same old engine' etc: Bethesda have confirmed that it uses a brand new engine. http://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
ImprovizoR said:
Straying Bullet said:
I heard V runs on the same shitty/buggy game engine once again. I am going to skip this one instead of a Day I purchase. Morrowind still has to be beaten by Oblivion and the like.
It is the same engine but I hear it's upgraded so much that it doesn't even look like the same engine. We can't know for sure until some gameplay videos or in-game screenshots are released. I'm guessing we'll see some screenshots by the end of this month.
Don't get me wrong on this one. Sure I enjoyed Fallout 3 but in all honesty, the time to upgrade your engine a little more for a new game is really showing the lazy ass of the studio.

Why not start anew and introduce a 2.0. You know, a completly revamped with better animation this time. I always lost immersion whenever I saw another character or being 1st person in any game of theirs and get the impression I am only a floating camera.

Or hell, use a new engine, less likely but if they really don't start doing some radical shit on the graphical/technical department, I am just going to wait for a bargain price on this one.
They said on their twitter that it's a brand new engine. And they also said that it's a heavily modified previous engine. I guess both claims are kinda truth. You know CoD4, MW2 and BO run on a heavily modified Quake 3 engine. So it is possible to pimp the shit out of the engine.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Double A said:
ionveau said:

Oblivion came out in 1998 then in 2000 then in 2006 i think look it up

the oblivion from 2000 and 2006 both used the same engine and both engines are awkward and annoying to play with

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
the only thing i saw and i turned it on just as todd howard was announced. and its the only thing i care about