Eldritch Delves Deep In a Lovecraftian Action Roguelike

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Eldritch Delves Deep In a Lovecraftian Action Roguelike

Eldritch may look like a quirky Minecraft spin-off, but Creepers will be the least of your worries when a cosmic horror is feasting on your sanity.

Brace for lingo: Eldritch is an indie first-person roguelike action game with Lovecraftian themes and a minimalist Minecraft-esque look. Once you parse all that, you can't deny that it fills a pretty unique niche. Stranger still, Eldritch doesn't let its nightmarish enemies force it into the horror genre - between the playful graphical style and festive music you could easily forget that an unfathomable abomination might be lurking just around the next corner, ready to send you straight back to the title screen.

Eldritch comes from Minor Key Games, a two-man team of former AAA game developers who also happen to be twin brothers. Sick of the creative limitations of big-budget titles, they set out to create something new. Eldritch features classic roguelike mechanics like randomly-generated dungeons and permadeath, but is also inspired by games like Deus Ex that give players the freedom to choose how to approach any given obstacle.

A the official website [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166329180] for $15 to get early access to the beta (and a Steam key later, if the Greenlight works out). The developers are shooting for an October 21 release for PC only.

Source: Minor Key Games [http://www.eldritchgame.com/]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wow. Lovecraftian monsters, Minecraft aesthetic, calling something a roguelike when it's really not like rogue, it just generates some stuff randomly.
This game is basically every indie game trope out there. If they had only somehow put "survival horror" in the description, indie gaming would have collapsed into a singularity.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
This actually looks like a lot of fun. I know that basically every element in this is ticking off boxes on the indie game checklist, but it appears to be well made.I love roguelikes, and I have wanted an adventure game using a minecraft-ey aesthetic for a while now. Also, the combat looks fun, and there is a real lack of deep rpgs that have decent action combat imo. We shall have to wait and see, but there is definitely a lot of potential here.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Weaver said:
Wow. Lovecraftian monsters, Minecraft aesthetic, calling something a roguelike when it's really not like rogue, it just generates some stuff randomly.
This game is basically every indie game trope out there. If they had only somehow put "survival horror" in the description, indie gaming would have collapsed into a singularity.
It's missing an incomprehensible metaphor that you "just don't get."

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Was ready to roll my eyes honestly until I saw the atmosphere wasn't serious at all.
Running around blowing up and backstabbing Lovecraft's nightmares in such a silly fashion sounds like fabulous fun.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
It seems more than a little Minecraft-ish to me, at least in terms of looks. Are they using the same engine or something?

Jan 27, 2011
I....Uhhhh.....Ok?

I guess I'll give this a shot when it's out. Looks mildly amusing, although I'm dissapointed that it's not looking like it's gonna be super creepy while attempting a lovecraftian theme...

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Not exactly... what I was expecting. I don't mind minimalist graphics at all, but the feeling they're going for in cutesy graphical style and music... is just bizarre. You can do creepy and even horrifying with minimalist styles, but it seems they don't even want to. Also, when I think Lovecraft, I don't think "run and gun"-gameplay. I dunno, guess we'll see what it's like once it's finished but I don't think this is for me.

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
The problem is that "Lovecraftian" shouldn't be in the description. Super Mario Brothers had a giant squid as one of the enemies, but you wouldn't call it "Lovecraftian." Contra and other shoot em' ups have you occasionally menaced by giant tentacles, but they're not "Lovecraftian." This has a bunch of monsters in it but it's clearly not a horror game; everything in the game appears to be threatening you with violence but is demonstrably worse than you at violence. As such, you are the horrible monster in the game -- like in most games. Hence: not horror. Thus: not Lovecraftian.

Doesn't mean it can't be fun, but the music was annoying. Hopefully that was just for the ad.