Elections Shenanigans

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You have to sign it. You have to provide accurate information that you would need to provide for a drivers license.

Thus information to verify against.

All included in the link provided to the Oregon Elections Website. You know. Education and reading comprehension and all that.

Are we just gonna keep going round and round like this? Because I'm failing to see a point being made here. If so, we're done.
Should be noted, the information for a license replacement constitutes a full identity theft, at which point someone has something far more valuable than one ballot

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There are states here breaking the law either knowingly or not, in the case of Illinois they refused to disclose voter roll data. Database cleanup is also a part of a federal law from 1993. The states can't keep up.
You can vote by mail when you're registered, request it and have an address. You can get the ballot, fill it out, sign it and mail it out. I read that the signature is compared to your DMV signature. The issue in the second part is that reportedly (by a hacker named 4chan) ballots can be reported as spoiled online, thus invalidating someone's vote.
Open question - what happens when you are not registered in the DMV and there is no signature for the people counting the votes to compare to when they get your ballot?
If you aren't registered to vote, then you don't get a ballot. How is this hard for you?

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
If you aren't registered to vote, then you don't get a ballot. How is this hard for you?
There are over 100% of people registered to vote in some counties and they get a ballot. How is this hard for you?

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Ah, ok, so I’m seeing a lot of people saying you have to have an ID to actually turn these in so it probably won’t be the issue it’s presumed to be. You’d also have to do it one ballot at a time, so it’s not the mass fraud it’s being presented as where you can change your vote with a couple clicks.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Ah, ok, so I’m seeing a lot of people saying you have to have an ID to actually turn these in so it probably won’t be the issue it’s presumed to be. You’d also have to do it one ballot at a time, so it’s not the mass fraud it’s being presented as where you can change your vote with a couple clicks.
You can check it out yourself in the site. It's back up. Please report back after your investigation

The changed vote bit is also related cancelling votes - you can declare your ballot was spoiled and ask for a new one, thus cancelling the vote.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
You can check it out yourself in the site. It's back up. Please report back after your investigation

The changed vote bit is also related cancelling votes - you can declare your ballot was spoiled and ask for a new one, thus cancelling the vote.
From what it looks like you can change registration status with just a license number which is actually quite bad (that’s definitely less than identity theft, license numbers are not secret in any way), but that mostly affects primaries. You could re-register to send the ballot to a new location then fill it out, but doing so at scale will of course cause massive issues. Sketchy but not election invalidating.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The proof... is provided by the hacker known as 4chan.
I know this was intended to be said unironically, but this is the first time you've said something genuinely funny. Congratulations.

I suspect it may not be the topic that's being difficult.

That said, the right wing scaremongering about voter fraud is and always has been a sham to cover up their real intention which is suppression of the vote. It's been going on for decades. They keep beating the drum even though actual voter fraud does not occur in the ways they suggest and has never once been anything approaching close to numbers that could sway an election, even on the local level. But the lie is useful because conservative voters keep falling for it. So it persists.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Just a question about mail in bailouts

If you die after you sent your ballot in, is it counted?

Can your spouse get in trouble?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Just a question about mail in bailouts

If you die after you sent your ballot in, is it counted?

Can your spouse get in trouble?
I believe this question arose in 2008 when Barack Obama's grandmother died shortly before the election, after she'd sent in her mail-in ballot in favour of her grandson. Apparently the answer is yes, dead people's votes are counted along with the rest. Probably because in practice, it would be more trouble than it's worth to track them down and remove them.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I believe this question arose in 2008 when Barack Obama's grandmother died shortly before the election, after she'd sent in her mail-in ballot in favour of her grandson. Apparently the answer is yes, dead people's votes are counted along with the rest. Probably because in practice, it would be more trouble than it's worth to track them down and remove them.
If one takes the idea that someone votes at 10am on the day of election and then dies at 2pm, should their vote be counted? One would assume yes. This would suggest a basic principle that once voting starts, votes are legitimate even if the voter dies between the polls opening and the count.

As long as the period between first voting and counting is short enough, it's a tolerable situation. From a statistical perspective if people live an average of 80 years, it means ~1/960th of the population die every month. So if the polls are open a month, then ~0.1% of the votes may be from people who died during the election if early voting starts a month before. In the greater scheme of things, not a big deal.

Is it immoral to effectively let dead people vote through this system? I think this is a bit grey area. In defence, they were alive long enough to exercise their right to cast a vote, so it can reasonably be honoured. If we take the decision that they are getting to decide an outcome they won't be alive to see, the same applies to people who die between election day and when the winner takes office. Thus as we have to create an arbitrary cut-off, everyone alive at the points voting opens rather than when it closes seems fine.