Electronic Arts Signs Exclusive Star Wars Game Deal With Disney

Jay Knowles

Aug 24, 2010
The upside being since disney still retains the *online* game rights EA wont have the "it's an mmo" defence to fall back on.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Parakeettheprawn said:
*pauses and thinks to self*

Something weird is happening... I'm... not breaking out into a rage.

My gosh... I finally did it... I LET GO OF BEING A STAR WARS NERD! I'M MERELY HOPEFUL THAT VISCERAL AND DICE PRODUCE FUN GAMES! It's finally happened! I AM SO HAPPY!

*glances at everyone raging while he frankly doesn't give a crap at this point*

...*sigh* that lasted a long time now didn't it?
Frankly I find that sad. To have lost you passion for a thing you liked. I pity you, friend.

Dec 16, 2009
"I've a bad feeling about this"

well it looked like Lucas Arts was going to closed down when SW got sold, so I'd written off any SW games in the future. The only way to get this taken off EA in the future is to vote with your wallet and not buy any SW/EA games full price.

That said, if you're happy with this, do as you please

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So to play the new star wars games il have to get origin again?

Yeh no, been there, done that with me3, i aint falling for that again.

Not even battlefront 3, empire at war 2 or tie fighter 2 could convince me otherwise (maybe).

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Though I'm a big Star Wars fan, I'm not going to join the rage band wagon I see going on here, even if I dislike EA as much as the other person.

I am very happy for DICE and Visceral Games, and believe both studios have the potential to make quality games with the Star Wars license. After all Battlefront was inspired from Battlefield 1942, and I have hopes that DICE will be given the green light to resurrect Battlefront 3. As the for the latter studio, well the Dead Space series had it's own solid sci-fi mythos with a maturity to it, that proves that Visceral have the talent for a story driven cinematic game. A survival horror with Rakghouls maybe? I would definitely buy that.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
And here I had hoped EA was finally slowly dying, now they got a shot in the arm and will probably milk it as much as possible. My only hopes is this is a dead horse that parasite attached to and people will be worn down enough to not buy enough to stop them from hemoraging money out of their asses in marketing and poor decisions. With any luck, there is some "you have to make us profit" clauses in there by disney (wouldn't be surprised to be honest, Disney ain't dumb) and will be the final nail in the coffin for EA.

Captcha: Half done

I thought so too captcha, but EA limps ever onwards.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Eh, If they make Star Wars Battlefronts 3 a reality and it doesn't suck I'll be happy.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well EA cant do anything without Disney's approval, its not as if EA can do what ever they want.

I just hope Disney makes the right choices, and doesn't let EA fuck everything up.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't know what to think about this. I hate EA and I don't think they should own exclusive rights to Star Wars games, but at the same time EA has DICE and DICE makes Battlefield. Battlefront is pretty much a Star Wars themed Battlefield. A new hope.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
To quote George Broussard (ya, the 3D Realms guy),

"This deal's getting worse all the time - Lando"

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
MorganL4 said:
slash2x said:
Holy hell no one did this already?

"as if millions of (geek)voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

See my post (number 16)

Sorry man, beat ya to it...
I claim partial victory because many people at work(like me) can not see videos in the comments. Also I added geek.

I give you 50% credit ;)

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
nice to see that Disney doing something with Star wars game license apart from mobile games. Dice and others doing stuff with star wars is a good news.

TheIronDuke

Nov 19, 2009
Really? 5 pages and not a single "I feel a great disturbance" paraphrasing? I'm simultaneously a little disappointed, but also proud. Well done internet.

Cpt. Lozan

Feb 28, 2013
We've all given EA chances in the past. We trusted them with BioWare, we trusted them with Dead Space, and every time the result is the same. Disappointment, micro-transactions, DRM, and day 1 DLC. I used to love EA as a publisher, they made some of my favorite games ever (System Shock, Bards Tale,The Sims,Command and Conquer to name a few) but as of late, every time I try and get excited for an EA game, I always end up dissapointed, so I'm done. And I'm gonna let EA know that I'm done. And unless these games turn out better than anyone could have hoped for or imagined, I don't think I'm gonna buy them, because I'm tired of EA's shit to be perfectly honest.

I sat through it when Mass Effect changed from an RPG with a real time battle system to a cover based shooter with what are essentially power-ups and a plot. I sat through it when the sims expansions got smaller and smaller. I sat through it when the Dead Space games stopped being survival horror and started being action games with clunky controls. I sat thru it when the KOTOR dialogue trees gave way to the cookie cutter ME convo wheels. I sat thru the day 1 DLC, the Micro-Transactions, the DRM. But no more. I'm done with seeing the games I love having their essence stripped from them.

And the rest of you guys should be too, we express that sentiment all the time. We STILL have HUGE threads about ME 1 and DA 1 and how good they were, and we ALSO still have huge threads about how disappointing the rest of the games in those franchises are! We've seen it time and time again. EA has given us no reason to put our faith in them, and every reason to assume they are gonna screw up.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
The Star Wars license is definitely a good thing for EA. I don't like many of their games and definitely don't like their business practices, but this gives them a chance to earn back some good will from the gaming community and hopefully learn that making good games is all you need to make money.

As a Nintendo fan, this is probably good for Nintendo, too. EA is all but publicly snubbing Nintendo at the moment, trying to "Dreamcast" them so to speak, and they have said their in-house Frostbite 3 engine was never up and running on Wii U. That's a problem because all the Star Wars games, and all their upcoming franchise releases are running on Frostbite 3.

With the Star Wars license, EA has a solid, monetary incentive to optimize Frostbite 3 for Wii U. It's not impossible, as the engine is supposed to be scalable and can run on 360 and PS3, but the low install base of Wii U and poor performance of EA games on Nintendo platforms convinced EA it was not profitable.

The Star Wars license will sell on Wii U, though - it's always had good performance on Nintendo platforms, meaning EA would leave money on the table not porting their Star Wars games to Wii U. Which would mean optimizing Frostbite 3 for Wii U, which would mean all their upcoming games which utilize the engine (Dragon Age 3, Battlefield 4, the next Mass Effect) could see ports.

This is an opportunity for EA to get a second chance on Nintendo platforms, to grow their install base and introduce consumers to their franchises, all subsidized by Disney and Star Wars.

If EA doesn't take that chance, they're insane.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I guess Knights of the Old Republic isn't going to be the only failed Star Wars "MMO" in the future.