Electroshock Technology Leads to Human Drum Machine Puppet

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Electroshock Technology Leads to Human Drum Machine Puppet

A musician has used some technological wizardry to turn his friend into a cringing human drum machine.

In recent years, Daito Manabe has been uncomfortably [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxdlYFCp5Ic] fusing electric stimulus with music. His experiments have advanced to the point where now one of Manabe's friends has become a human drum machine.

Manabe's latest video uses myoelectric sensors in combination with electric stimulus to jolt the friend's face into reacting when a sound is played from a drum machine. Wires are evidently attached from Manabe's fingers to a drum machine, which are hooked up to the wires running to the face. The first part of this video is a demonstration, while the second part brings the drum machine into play.

Each sound is connected to a particular sensor, so when Manabe touches his friend's skin it makes him cringe, blink, or pucker his lips. All of the sounds played in quick succession make the subject's face tweak and twinge, almost violently. However, it's apparently not as painful as it looks.

Having control over a human's facial movements is entertaining enough, but when it's combined with the sounds coming out of a drum kit it adds another level of humor. At the same time, Manabe's work on the project is technologically impressive. Expect more like this from Manabe in the future.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5715232/this-guy-is-now-a-drum-machine-whether-he-likes-it-or-not]

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That still image on the video is super creepy when you know why all those wires are attached to his face; there's no way I'm going to actually play it to see whether or not it's as bad as my imagination is currently having a field day making it, egad.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
The leading link doesn't work.

Also, that looks hilarious. Not something I want to get hooked up to tho.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
really, has no one noticed that this might be the next new thing, "feeling the music"

also, thats really cool and creepy at the same time

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
By chance I watched this together with this on the background:
Especially the first part of the drum vid fitted so well with it. Not so well rhythm-wise, but the amounts of Japanese madness amplified each other magnificently. NA NAAAAAA NANANANAAAANAAA!!!

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
What has science done...

While watching that I thought of several less humorous applications. Never again.

Alternatively: Stop hitting yourself could take on a whole new meaning.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
What is this I don't even.

That's all fine and well, but can it make your dick bigger?

On topic though, why? What are the implications of this? And why would you subject yourself to this kind of madness in the first place?
If anything, I'd apply this kind of technology to someone's corpse.. And make a walking meat-puppet to serve me.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
[The First Minute]: This is...odd... =/

[The Next Two Minutes]: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, if it's any country, it's Japan that knows how to use technology in the least of intended ways and make it entertaining.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
That is sweet, but I wonder if you could play songs on the guy... I can only imagine The Black Page played on this man's face.

Wildcard5

Jun 27, 2010
Humorous as it is a little unsettling for me to watch this even if all participants in this particular activity are willing...