Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Review

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Review

A complex but accessible journey to power in a shattered fantasy realm.

Read Full Article

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
You also have to admire Stardock's customer service, they gave everyone who bought the original iteration of the game a free copy and a email from Brad Wardell , the CEO of Stardock himself.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stardock definitely deserves big props for giving this thing free to anyone who bought War of Magic. I never played that game, but Fallen Enchantress certainly seems like it would be a more-than-adequate apology no matter how awful it was. It's not Europa Universalis deep but it's enough to give you a real "I'm a strategy gamer!" feeling, and being able to rule your kingdom as a "lead from the front" warlord is a fun twist.

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
I love the idea of this game. I'm hoping I can create my own warring factions instead of just one I control and customizing their unit looks and types. With some luck - or mods - this might be perfect for me.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Cenobite85 said:
I love the idea of this game. I'm hoping I can create my own warring factions instead of just one I control and customizing their unit looks and types. With some luck - or mods - this might be perfect for me.
Your custom empires and leaders can be played against in the game. Just make a bunch of them and manually pick them as your enemies when setting up a game.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Jandau said:
Cenobite85 said:
Your custom empires and leaders can be played against in the game. Just make a bunch of them and manually pick them as your enemies when setting up a game.
Ok, that may have sold me.

Valashar

Mar 26, 2009
Injuries to champions can be healed (such as the sprained ankle mentioned in the review). It requires a Potion of Restoration, which is either gained from a low-level quest or can be bought in some friendly territories and iirc in your own territory once you've gotten your magic research high enough.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Incoming post of boasting like a douche(but not in all caps, since I'm not that much of a douche):

The Shadow World spell is my idea and I am uber hyped to see it in the game!

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Zipa said:
You also have to admire Stardock's customer service, they gave everyone who bought the original iteration of the game a free copy and a email from Brad Wardell , the CEO of Stardock himself.

Sadly, I think my spam filter caught that e-mail, but I find that to be absolutely outstanding. I knew I got a free copy because I bought Elemental, but I find it admirable when a company admits a mistake and goes the extra mile to make things right.

I am also thuroughly enjoying Fallen Enchantress. It is much improved over the original game, and I have been lost in it for about a week now. The AI is definately better. They are now close to on-par with the AI from GalCivII.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
tsb247 said:
Zipa said:

Sadly, I think my spam filter caught that e-mail, but I find that to be absolutely outstanding. I knew I got a free copy because I bought Elemental, but I find it admirable when a company admits a mistake and goes the extra mile to make things right.

I am also thuroughly enjoying Fallen Enchantress. It is much improved over the original game, and I have been lost in it for about a week now. The AI is definately better. They are now close to on-par with the AI from GalCivII.
Yeah I detect the work of Brad himself on the AI, usually the AIs he writes are always challenging and sometimes humorous.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Zipa said:
tsb247 said:
Zipa said:

Yeah I detect the work of Brad himself on the AI, usually the AIs he writes are always challenging and sometimes humorous.
The AI usually curb-stomps me on the higher difficulties, so I have been having to tweak it from time to time (ramp it down a notch), and sometimes restart my games. One time in particular, I got steam-rolled by a friendly AI that decided I was simply in their way, and it all went down about 20 turns in! XD

Needless to say, it definately has that GalCivII flare, humor, and aggresion that I came to know and love from Stardock games.