Elemental: Fallen Enchantress

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'd like to tell you about a game you'll likely never play, but probably should, at least if you're into turn-based strategy games and especially if you loved Master of Magic once upon a time.

The name of the game is Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and it was released this week. Now, if the name sounds kind of familiar that's because a few years ago Elemental: War of Magic came out and it basically sucked. It felt dreadfully unfinished and poorly designed, and as a result went off into obscurity. A shame really, since it was an ambitious game.

Fallen Enchantress is the sequel/expansion to War of Magic and I'm here to tell you that it's pretty great. The game itself is essentially a cross between Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic, or Age of Wonders on a larger scale. A 4X strategy game in a fantasy setting with a hefty RPG slant to it.

It features Civ-style city building, research, a solid magic system, custom unit design, levelable heroes, tactical battles and even a mission-based campaign. There?s a fair number of cool little features (like the City Enchantment system), but of particular note are the customizable units. While the game does have a selection of pre-built units, you are free to make your own using the various equipment you?ve unlocked through research. So you could have your regular archers, or you could have Warg-mounted Snipers loaded with damage-boosting magic rings (assuming of course, you?ve got a steady supply of Wargs available).

There are multiple viable play styles, depending on your research focus and your starting race. Your heroes can be specialized for a number of roles, from damage dealing powerhouses and city administrators to powerful mages. If you don?t like any of the starting races and rulers, you are free to make your own, and the game even comes with mod tools included if none of the available options appeal to you.

Granted, it?s not a perfect game. Most of the problems come from the fact that it?s not a AAA title, so it?s lacking some polish. Visuals aren?t too stellar, for one thing. Also, more variety in research and race-specific tech would be welcome. While there is a tutorial and a codex, some of the game concepts aren?t explained very well and require experimentation to figure out.

However, I?d say it?s well worth the asking price for any fans of the genre. Compared to, say, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, a similar game released not long ago, Fallen Enchantress is superior in almost every way, offering a deeper and more complex experience. I hope you give it a shot, I?d say it deserves it. If you're interested, it's up on Steam.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The lack of reviews on this game surprised me. Sure Stardock may have trashed their reputation with the original, but I still expected more reviewers itching to write a negative review.
Now it may turn out the game isn't half bad.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
It's weird that it has gotten so little attention compared to Warlock for instance. Fallen Enchantress is much better, and is the closest thing I have seen to a reimagining of MoM.

The tactical battles doesn't have the attention to detail that AoW did, I kind of miss city battles with functional walls and gates. But they work as expected providing fast and simple combat resolution with a little bit of tactical gameplay.
In Fallen Enchantress city battles happen outside the cities, with the defending side getting passive bonuses based on the city improvements.
Another minor concern I have is that ranged troops tend to have battlefield range making it impossible to outrange them. It makes precision sniping of key units a bit too effective I think.

I like the UI and the graphics in general. I think it looks pretty good for a strategy game. The zoomed out 'cloth map' looks neat, and is functional as an overview map. When the map is zoomed in the graphics tend to get a little blurry, but maybe that can be tweaked with the graphics setting. Zooming in on cities shows an amazing attention to detail.
Stardock likes to experiment and polish their UIs, and some of the UI elements have been inspired by Galciv2 and Sins of a Solar Empire. I like seeing games that have some thought put into the UI instead of just randomly placing generic buttons.

I'm still on my first game so I can't tell how well the pieces fit together, how good the balance and the AI is, but so far it's a very promising game and could be a true classic.

The campaign feels like rubbish and I don't understand why anyone would play in campaign mode in a 4x game. It's basically about moving an army of heroes around the map, stomping on monsters and picking up treasure. The plot in the campaign is ok with some interesting artwork in cutscenes. The sandbox mode is where the real game is at though.

I'll just link to the Steam community page to show some screenshots. Gameplay screenshots sometimes tell more than words:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/216390/screenshots

Island Dog

Feb 18, 2008
There's two reviews out currently, and I'm sure more will be coming in the next week or so.

Game Informer (8.25) - http://www.gameinformer.com/games/elemental_fallen_enchantress/b/pc/archive/2012/10/25/elemental-fallen-enchantress-review.aspx

GamingOgre (8.7) - http://www.gamingogre.com/review/elemental-fallen-enchantress-review/

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So far im in my 2nd game (got absolutely destroyed in my 1st game xP) and normally would finish 1 full game before giving my opinion (its my usual policy:finish game, then give verdict on it) but i feel this game really does need the advertisment.

FE is massive improvement over Elemental (like seriously, WOW. Game looks the same but mechanics have radically changed for the better) and one of the better strategy titles in its depth ive played this year so far, surpassing Civ5 imo which i felt was overhyped.
A particular shout out to factions and traits being more significant (enough that i got ideas for tons of different factions focused on 1 particular strat or gameplay aspect) and the random map generator which will provide great replay value.
I still feel there arent enough different weapons and gear to create genuinely personalized custom units, especially for first half of a game, but mods will fix that so minor complaint.

Mmm, back to playing Fallen enchantress actually now that i got reminded of it...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I've been aware of this game for some time and have been keeping an eye out for it. Kind of sounds too good to be true though, and I'm not betting on lightning striking twice for me like it did with Warlock. Also isn't Stardock the one owned by that absolute bastard who treats his employees like possessions? That claim was brought up in that one news article about the lawsuit.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]I've been aware of this game for some time and have been keeping an eye out for it. Kind of sounds too good to be true though, and I'm not betting on lightning striking twice for me like it did with Warlock.
Fallen Enchantress makes Warlock seem like a half-arsed rush job. You can pretty much see everything Warlock has to offer after one game. After two full games I've still got more to do in FE.

Frankster said:
FE is massive improvement over Elemental (like seriously, WOW. Game looks the same but mechanics have radically changed for the better) and one of the better strategy titles in its depth ive played this year so far, surpassing Civ5 imo which i felt was overhyped.
A particular shout out to factions and traits being more significant (enough that i got ideas for tons of different factions focused on 1 particular strat or gameplay aspect) and the random map generator which will provide great replay value.
I still feel there arent enough different weapons and gear to create genuinely personalized custom units, especially for first half of a game, but mods will fix that so minor complaint.
Yeah, the variety is kinda on the low side early on. However, it depends on the race you're playing. Some cover the early game in different ways. For instance, in my current game I'm playing as the Empire of Resoln and I get free elementals from all my Shards. While these elementals are pretty crap, they do provide a steady source of free units for early game and cheap cannon fodder later on.

Bostur said:
Another minor concern I have is that ranged troops tend to have battlefield range making it impossible to outrange them. It makes precision sniping of key units a bit too effective I think.
Ranged is a bit on the strong side, especially if you're playing Tarth or a custom race with the Archers trait, which gives them access to better bows. But then again, spells are also overpowered if you can stack up Shards and Traits. And some melee units are also devastating (Juggernauts come to mind). And mounted units. In fact, it's down to playing to your race's strenghts. However, early archers make early game much smoother...

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Jandau said:
Yeah, the variety is kinda on the low side early on. However, it depends on the race you're playing. Some cover the early game in different ways. For instance, in my current game I'm playing as the Empire of Resoln and I get free elementals from all my Shards. While these elementals are pretty crap, they do provide a steady source of free units for early game and cheap cannon fodder later on.
I played as Resoln in my first game, and while the elementals were lousy early on, they got incredibly powerful late game when my shards got upgraded. I found that they were interesting units to use becuase most had some downsides as well.

Jandau said:
Ranged is a bit on the strong side, especially if you're playing Tarth or a custom race with the Archers trait, which gives them access to better bows. But then again, spells are also overpowered if you can stack up Shards and Traits. And some melee units are also devastating (Juggernauts come to mind). And mounted units. In fact, it's down to playing to your race's strenghts. However, early archers make early game much smoother...
Very true, archers do fit neatly into the balancing. It's a cheap way to counter enemy spell casters for instance. The game does this 'asymmetric balance' very well. Most units are overpowered given the right circumstances, but if used incorrectly those overpowered units can easily melt away. It's important to try to take note of the enemies strength and weaknesses before engaging. I'd say thats one of the biggest qualities a strategy game can have when the player starts thinking like that.

Island Dog

Feb 18, 2008
This is such a great review. :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10019-Elemental-Fallen-Enchantress-Review