Elias Toufexis: Deus Ex's Jensen Cost Me Jobs

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Who is this man and what the hell is he talking about? What is this? Am I in the Twilight Zone?
Oh you poor man.
... pat pat. You aren't real

Reality hits you hard.

OT:
Sounds like an awesome guy, which is too bad because of what this brought upon him. As prior said, I guess he never asked for this.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Who is this man and what the hell is he talking about? What is this? Am I in the Twilight Zone?
You cost this man work, YOU BASTARD!

OT: At least he is still working. I don't think his voice would have really worked for Jason in Far Cry 3 though. The character seemed to innocent at the start for that to work.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Funny, that scene with the desk sergeant is probably my favorite one in the game. While Toufexis might think that it sounds bad, I saw it as part of Jensen's past breaking out during his interaction with a friend from his past life. The steely veneer he puts up through the rest of the game cracks when he is with someone he has a history with.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Funny, companies certainly don;t seem to mind that I hear Spike Spiegel and Vash The Stampede almost everywhere (slowly being replaced by Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien) in my entertainment media.

I can't see why this would have been different.
"Oh hey that's the guy who played Jensen!"
*goes on with life*

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
I would much rather have Far Crys lead sound like Adam Jensen... Far Cry 3's guy is straight awful. He is distinctive though, he plays Andriy Kobin in the new splinter cell, i only realized that while playing it, even though he was in the game before that too.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well there are so many roles for guys who sound like chain smokers Toufexis.

Jensen was pretty good voice-wise, but I would like to hear some od Elias's other voices before marking him as an one raspy note actor.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
thebobmaster said:
You do realize Jennifer Hale had a good bit of success before Mass Effect, right? Metroid Prime, Knights of the Old Republic, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 (both games playing different characters), La Pucelle: Tactics, and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy all had her playing fairly major roles before she got the lead in Mass Effect. At that point, you can afford to use your normal voice.
And Ground Control.
Of all the Jen Hale voice work I've heard, nothing comes close to matching what she did while working on Ground Control.

Apr 5, 2008
I found it disconcerting to hear Oghren (DA:O) playing Andronikos Revel in SWTOR and Grayson in Bulletstorm. Kept expecting to hear Oghren's chuckle...but it never came.

Quite cool to hear FemShep playing FemTrooper in SWTOR too.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Halyah said:
Silverbeard said:
thebobmaster said:
You do realize Jennifer Hale had a good bit of success before Mass Effect, right? Metroid Prime, Knights of the Old Republic, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 (both games playing different characters), La Pucelle: Tactics, and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy all had her playing fairly major roles before she got the lead in Mass Effect. At that point, you can afford to use your normal voice.
And Ground Control.
Of all the Jen Hale voice work I've heard, nothing comes close to matching what she did while working on Ground Control.
She also voiced Fall-From-Grace in Planescape Torment IIRC. So she's had quite a huge amount of roles over the years. There's probably a ton more that I'm not even aware of.
That's correct.
Ground Control is still the better piece of work, though. Absolutely riveting stuff.