Elite Dangerous is Rocketing onto PlayStation 4 in Q2 of 2017

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Elite Dangerous is Rocketing onto PlayStation 4 in Q2 of 2017

The popular space exploration game Elite Dangerous is making its way onto PS4 in Q2 of next year.

If you're a PS4 owner who's been wishing you could play Elite Dangerous, you can finally start the countdown. Frontier Games announced yesterday that the deep space exploration title will finally make its way onto Sony's console in the second quarter of next year.

The PS4 version will include all the gameplay you've seen in the PC and Xbox One versions of the game. That means you can expect to be able to fight, explore, and trade your way across the galaxy by yourself or with friends. It will also pack in every game expansion that's been released for the game so far, the complete Elite: Dangerous: Horizons season pass, and some new features exclusive to the PS4 version. Those include the ability to use the touchpad controls to navigate the galaxy map, four additional hotkey options, and optional motion-based headlook controls based on the Dualshock 4. Frontier also says that it will support enhanced performance for PS4 Pro owners.

Frontier CEO and Elite co-creator David Braben is quoted in the press release [https://frontier-drupal-elitedangerous.s3.amazonaws.com/161208_ps4_announce.pdf] announcing the new version, saying, "We're thrilled to bring Elite Dangerous to PlayStation 4. Elite Dangerous is unlike any other space game, with a rich multiplayer or single-player space, a true-to-life galaxy including our own entire night sky, real physics, unique ship handling characteristics and a player-driven narrative that's really heating up. The galaxy has been stable for centuries, but all that is about to change. PlayStation 4 players will be joining our galaxy at a very exciting time."

Elite Dangerous is landing on PS4 in Q2 of next year. Hopefully, we'll have a more specific release date soon.

[gallery=6664]

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ffronw said:
"...a true-to-life galaxy including our own entire night sky, real physics, unique ship handling characteristics and a player-driven narrative that's really heating up. The galaxy has been stable for centuries, but all that is about to change. PlayStation 4 players will be joining our galaxy at a very exciting time."
I adore the game, but I think "player-driven narrative" is a fairly nebulous term, Mr Braben. You have to put some real effort into keeping up with the 'story' elements, and they're never necessary, and barely ever truly affect core gameplay.

The best tweak PS4 owners will get to appreciate from their day1 is probably going to be for Powerplay after the beta's over, so actively engaging with the superpowers has consequence, but doesn't feel like it's just there to ruin your day if you're in the bubble.

Still, Elite's great on Xbox and PC, and the more players it gets the better for everyone, so I hope it's a success. It's not always accurate or fair to really compare it to No Man's Sky, though, which I just know some people will do. Many of the same complaints about that could still be made about Elite (an ocean wide but puddle shallow). One's a fairly punishing sim, and the other's clearly a primary hued arcade game-come-survival 'em up. People let down by NMS and looking for some kind of spiritual replacement and improvement should really ignore any comparisons and watch some LP's of Elite, as well as some of the coverage from channels like Obsidian Ant [https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianAnt/videos].

I will say the community on Xbox at least... is generally very welcoming and knowledgeable, and those on PS4 have an absolute wealth of resources and guides to pull from.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Welcome aboard all ye new Space Truckers!

Darth Rosenberg said:
It's not always accurate or fair to really compare it to No Man's Sky, though, which I just know some people will do.
I think that's an unfair comparison for No Man's Sky.

I actually stopped playing Elite:Dangerous earlier this year, having felt I'd gone as far with it as I could for the time being, after just over 1000 hours.

Elite has plenty of depth in learning the flight and combat characteristic of the ships. Plus the star maps are accurate, something that made my mind boggle when players worked out locations of stuff in the trailers by triangulating the star fields in them (and it worked!). It's a lot like Eve in that it's down to the player to give themselves things to do, but there are always things to do if you like space and multiplayer.

NMS just didn't have anything in it even if you were motivated to play.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Head over to Antal space, we have tea and cookies and are, overall, a jovial bunch. A bit nutty, though.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm curious how fun it will be without multiplayer. It looks pretty good. After playing No Man's Sky it's funny how weird it looks to be orbiting a planet and see actual dark space and stars and not just pink light as far as the eye can see in all directions.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I actually stopped playing Elite:Dangerous earlier this year, having felt I'd gone as far with it as I could for the time being, after just over 1000 hours.
Stopped temporarily, or permanently? For anyone to have put that many hours into it, you clearly enjoy it - so I'd guess you'll be back for the new update and/or season?

Plus the star maps are accurate, something that made my mind boggle when players worked out locations of stuff in the trailers by triangulating the star fields in them (and it worked!).
Yeah, skipping between the galaxy map and then seeing the actual simulation from the inside, so to speak, is still impressive to me. I like how all the nebulae of the bubble and the band of the galaxy begin to shift as you venture farther our. It doesn't take long for all those familiar sights to disappear completely.

NMS just didn't have anything in it even if you were motivated to play.
My general point was that they are simply very different games - which may both trip people up depending on their expectations.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'm curious how fun it will be without multiplayer.
In what sense? I play almost exclusively in Solo, but the universe is still persistent, e.g. for discoveries, economy, and the background simulation of factions (though that last element isn't particularly well developed yet). Aiding in Community Goals can be done in any mode, and they're quite fun (decent payouts, too).

After playing No Man's Sky it's funny how weird it looks to be orbiting a planet and see actual dark space and stars and not just pink light as far as the eye can see in all directions.
There's plenty of pinks and reds courtesy of nebulae (I recently died/exploded in a very fancy deep blue'n'pinkish nebula... ), but yeah, the depiction of space is, relatively speaking, starkly realistic.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'm curious how fun it will be without multiplayer. It looks pretty good. After playing No Man's Sky it's funny how weird it looks to be orbiting a planet and see actual dark space and stars and not just pink light as far as the eye can see in all directions.
Depends on where you are. In a nebula or near the core, space takes on all sorts of colors.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
Stopped temporarily, or permanently? For anyone to have put that many hours into it, you clearly enjoy it - so I'd guess you'll be back for the new update and/or season?
Stopped permanently, sold my HOTAS and everything. Maybe in a few years time I'll go back to it, I haven't ruled it out, but after flying from side of the galaxy to the other (literally) I'd pretty much done everything I wanted to do in it.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Stopped permanently, sold my HOTAS and everything. Maybe in a few years time I'll go back to it, I haven't ruled it out, but after flying from side of the galaxy to the other (literally) I'd pretty much done everything I wanted to do in it.
Hm, that's a little surprising. I suppose if you were an early player that means you've been playing for far longer than I, but I could never just walk away from it; it's unique - no other game can begin to match what it offers (Star Citizen may do on PC, but being on console that's irrelevant).

The galactic simulation, the flight model, and the sense of immersion in the various ships is more than enough to keep me coming back.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
fix-the-spade said:
Hm, that's a little surprising. I suppose if you were an early player that means you've been playing for far longer than I, but I could never just walk away from it; it's unique - no other game can begin to match what it offers (Star Citizen may do on PC, but being on console that's irrelevant).
I really have to stress that by the time I decided to stop I had played it for the equivalent of 40 days. All that was left was Elite Combat and Trade, which is just grind grind grind.