Elizabeth Grunewald's Five Favorites of 2010

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald's Five Favorites of 2010

Elizabeth's five favorite things-that-aren't-games of 2010.

Read Full Article

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know who you know that didn't think Night & Day was one of the greatest pieces of animation to hit the screen all year, but whoever they are, they all deserve to be slapped upside the head.

-m

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
I just found it fantastic that you saw Kick Ass with a character from Arrested Development. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVIdy9_wqQw

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
I don't know who you know that didn't think Night & Day was one of the greatest pieces of animation to hit the screen all year, but whoever they are, they all deserve to be slapped upside the head.

-m
++True in the 3D version.
I actually liked the 3D in Day & Night better than in Toy Story 3 - and better still than every other 3D movie I've seen.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Matt_LRR said:

-m
This is truth. Night and Day was genius, plain and simple.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
There are people who didn't like Night & Day?

Learn something new every day. And it's not always pleasant.

Of that list, I also saw Toy Story 3, and it was very good. Very good indeed, certainly deserves top spot.

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
thublihnk said:
I just found it fantastic that you saw Kick Ass with a character from Arrested Development. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVIdy9_wqQw
Thanks for picking up on that. :) He does, however, look a lot more like a "Mr." than Charlize Theron did.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I totally agree that Day & Night was one of the greatest things ever. And it was the first thing I've ever seen in 3d, followed by TS3, both of which blew me away.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm glad I saw Kick-Ass before reading the comic too. The film was an ass-kicking good time. The comic--well, I didn't dislike it. But it showed Mark Millar as a deeply cynical, and kind of snobby, prick. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Scott Pilgrim kicked ass, though. It's kind of weird both these films ended on much higher notes than the comics they're adapted from.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Hmmm, what about season 4 of Dexter? Honest to god, it just keeps getting better. Or was it 2009?
2010 was a good year for film though, Hurt Locker, House n' Inception.

coolbluex

Nov 19, 2009
i totally agree that the day & night short was awesome
and although i think toy story 3 is awesome, i think 'how to train your dragon' is equally worthy of being the best animation for 2010 ;p

Micklet

May 21, 2009
Where was UP in the list? Along with the short that accompanied it? Don't get me wrong, I loved Toy Story 3, I loved all the Toy Storys, but my god UP was nigh on perfect. Great characters, animation, pure imagination and good lord it plucked on the heart strings. The first time I went to see it I literally bawled my eyes out. The second time I could here a young child asking there mother "What does that mean?" at the infertility clinic bit, to which the mother just blubbered a half response through her own tears. It had such a hard grounding in something so true to us all that I had to tip my hat to Pixar for it, Toy Story might be the ultimate buddy flick, but UP for me will be the best Pixar has done to date with real drama. Not to mention the hilarity in the accompanying short "Clouds".

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
That was his criticism on Kick-Ass?
I thought that was excellently put together.

no, the thing that bugged me is, spoiler for a difference between the comic and the movie:
The girl not smacking him in the face for lying to her about him being gay.
That whole scene seemed so out of place that a friend of mine even said he already thought that didn't jibe with the movie when I told him about this little tidbit.

The comic is nastier than the movie in general. Both versions have their merits. The movie is definately more straight-up entertaining.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
never saw an episode of lost but i did see everyone of those movies in theater and boy they would be on my top 5 too.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I thought Day and Night was actually better than Toy Story 3! That was still good though. Props to Scott Pilgrim aswell, that's one of my favourites for the year.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
My comments on your top five:

5. I got into the first season of Lost about 11 episodes in. It's not mah cup of tea, and it wasn't. My Dad, however, was AMAZED.
4. I have not seen Kick-Ass.
3. Day and Night was nothing short of wonderful. Yes, my Niece (or Nephew) spit up on my shoulder and I was pissed about it, but I still loved this short.
2. Scott Pilgrim is of the few movies that Didn't play at my theater (Instead, we got the expendables, which I'm not sure if I want to see) but it was definitely amazing. I find few movies that can be watched twice, and this was one of them.
1. Toy Story 3 wrecked my shite, to be honest. I cried in the first 3 minutes of the movie. I cried at the end of the movie. I cried seeing it again at home. It is the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial of the decade.

I liked your list, regardless. Nice Job.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Good list, I would have listed "day and night" and toy story 3 together. Pixar doesn't need help in rankings and 2 slots is almost half of the space available.

Also, is this the first time we hear your voice?