Empire, Jedi Writer Returns to Star Wars

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Empire, Jedi Writer Returns to Star Wars

Disney is bringing Lawrence Kasdan back to Star Wars.

If the name "Lawrence Kasdan [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001410/]" rings a bell, it's probably because he was the primary screenwriter on both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and he also managed to squeeze Raiders of the Lost Ark in there too. He's done a lot of other work but it's those three titles (and the two Star Wars ones, primarily) that cemented his legend with sci-fi cinema fans. And now he's back.

A lot of jokes have been made about Disney's acquisition of the Star Wars franchise but it sure doesn't seem to be horsing around with it. The House of the Mouse announced yesterday that Kasdan has been hired to one of the sequels that will follow "Star Wars 7," the first Disney-controlled Star Wars flick. X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1334526/] is signed to do the other.

It's exciting news for fans of the series who'd like to see it get back to its roots, but don't hold your breath waiting. The next Star Wars flick, written by Toy Story 3 guy Michael Arndt [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1578335/], won't be out until 2015 and you can count on at least two more years after that before Star Wars 8 rolls around - and since it's not clear yet which of the two follow-ups Kasdan will write, we could end up waiting even longer than that for his return.

Source: E-Online [http://ca.eonline.com/news/365083/star-wars-7-beyond-empire-jedi-writer-lawrence-kasdan-onboard-for-sequel-in-new-trilogy]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
This is a very good thing. Kasdan was one of the few people who called Lucas out on some of his more questionable ideas, and he seemed like a sort of mediator between George and the Directors on Empire and Jedi.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
That is actually....good news.
IT seems that Disney is really not screwing around with their new movie franchise.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
For every good thing that I read about this I read something bad as well. Kasdan being back is a good thing but the screenwriter for X-Men 3 is involved? That movie was beyond crap so who's idea was that?

CortexReaver

Jul 19, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back
How is it even possible? It is those wonky Palpatine's resurrections from Expanded Universe all over again? Btw, the books were mostly bad, so ignoring them is actually a good thing.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think this might be good and it hasn't even been announced yet which path they are going to take with this new trilogy.

Jan 12, 2012
And lo, God looked down and said,"That's the best I can do. Try not to screw it up this time."

I'm seriously happy that he's back. Kasdan is the one who held back Lucas from most of his insanity, and I'm willing to be he still remembers how to capture the Star Wars spirit.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I realize the irony of using the following image, but it's appropriate nonetheless:

Now if only Irvin Kershner was still alive...

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1334526/] is signed to do the other.

I was really happy until you put that line in there, thanks...... What we need as the final SW film is another X-Men 3........ Didn't Lucas do enough damage with 1-3?

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
That's cool, they should of had him do all 3 to at least keep it consistent.

Though who is actually writing the story? These are just screen writers? I guess I'm just confused about screen play terminology

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Erm...

If it's going to be a trilogy shouldn't all three movies be written by the same team?

Wouldn't a thing like this make the movies quite inconsistent?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Andy Chalk said:
X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1334526/] is signed to do the other.

I was really happy until you put that line in there, thanks...... What we need as the final SW film is another X-Men 3........ Didn't Lucas do enough damage with 1-3?
now now, let's not forget that he produced X-Men First Class, maybe he learned something

I'm very excited for this, I'm pretty sure the Darth Vader revival thing is just a rumour, they'd never give that the green light, and for the first time in my life I'm going to see a Star Wars movie in live-action with no idea what will happen, I could not be more excited than I am right now

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Disney needs to do 5 things to get off my shitlist.

1)Return DisneyToon Studios/Disney Movie Toons back to their pre 2003 days, doing the same kind of stuff they did in the 90s.

2)Make a new X-Men animated series as good as the 90s one, or make 1 X-Men movie that won't piss me off.

3)Make 1 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie that genuinely pleases nostalgia fans.

4)Create another channel that shows only classic things actually made by Disney, & it can't include purchased franchises.

5)Enough with the quirky fast-paced facial expressions, endless agonizing puns, & toddler-brained condescending whitewashed purity humor. Toon violence was good enough for Donald & Goofy.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Hagi said:
Erm...

If it's going to be a trilogy shouldn't all three movies be written by the same team?

Check out the writing credentials for the Indiana Jones movies. No writer wrote more than one film.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well this seems like good news though I'm still not getting my hopes up but the future looks brighter. I don't really care anymore what they do with the Star Wars universe anymore anyway. Maybe the movie will be good and I'll care again and if it's bad, well one more to the list. Won't change anything for me.
Also, I hope that they don't really care about EU. Maybe just take some good things from there but just do whatever they want without having to keep things consistent with it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Hagi said:
Erm...

Check out the writing credentials for the Indiana Jones movies. No writer wrote more than one film.
I could be mistaken, it's been quite a while but aren't the Indiana Jones movies essentially stand-alone movies?

As in the main character and some of the supporting cast is the same but each movie has an independent storyline which is fully wrapped up by the end of the movie.

If they're going with the standard trilogy format then that'll be quite different for Star Wars, it'll be one continuous storyline with only sub-plots wrapping up at the end of the first two movies.

I don't know, just seems odd to me. Kinda like having each Lord of the Rings movie being directed by a different person, entirely possible but I think the whole would have suffered for it.