Empire, Jedi Writer Returns to Star Wars

Bindal

May 14, 2012
likalaruku said:
3)Make 1 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie that genuinely pleases nostalgia fans.
That basically makes sure they stay there forever because those two fanbases are unpleasable...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I dunno, to me this seems like its possibly going to present what will be the first cracks in this foundation.

While the one is lauded in history, Jedi is considered by far the worst of the original trilogy. Then the other guy comes from X3 fame? Yeah, not real reassuring.

But honestly, neither of those are the problem. What I think the problem is the fact that you already have 2 tagged in for what is almost certainly going to be a trilogy. Im sorry, competing and conflicting visions within the same story arch really are not good. Harry Potter Survived this by having one solid backbone of a preexisting story to guide through the arch.. While 7-9 will likely have a general theme, this opens up waaaaay too much opportunity for fan criticisms to influence the product, and create too much contrast between the films practically begging to be tore apart.

tl;dr: This might be a bad omen... Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is awesome news, but the rest of the so called "talent" is a bit lackluster. Though, all of them are effectively better than Lucas ever was.

viranimus said:
While the one is lauded in history, Jedi is considered by far the worst of the original trilogy. Then the other guy comes from X3 fame? Yeah, not real reassuring.
I don't know if I have ever talked to someone who considered Jedi the "worst in the trilogy". A New Hope gets away with being good because it was the first one. But this one is by the far the worst of the original trilogy. Of course, we all know Empire was the best. And don't forget that he wrote Raiders of the Lost Arc. I'm in agreement about X3. X2 was a far far superior film. But meh, we are all entitled to our opinions, my friend. I was just surprised to hear someone say Jedi was "considered" to be the worst when I have never heard this before, personally.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
CortexReaver said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back
How is it even possible? It is those wonky Palpatine's resurrections from Expanded Universe all over again? Btw, the books were mostly bad, so ignoring them is actually a good thing.
I feel as though there will be flashbacks that have Vader in them OR the plot of the film is going to be "Vader comes back but it is not the real Vader, just a person using the moniker and same costume" OR the films will be between episode III and IV.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
surprised that nobody posted this yet

also, looking forward to the terror of what is to come

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
likalaruku said:
Disney needs to do 5 things to get off my shitlist.

1)Return DisneyToon Studios/Disney Movie Toons back to their pre 2003 days, doing the same kind of stuff they did in the 90s.

2)Make a new X-Men animated series as good as the 90s one, or make 1 X-Men movie that won't piss me off.

3)Make 1 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie that genuinely pleases nostalgia fans.

4)Create another channel that shows only classic things actually made by Disney, & it can't include purchased franchises.

5)Enough with the quirky fast-paced facial expressions, endless agonizing puns, & toddler-brained condescending whitewashed purity humor. Toon violence was good enough for Donald & Goofy.
1) Don't care.
2)X-Men First Class. Seriously. It's AWESOME.
3) Wait for it... I mean after all, screenwriters who were FANS of Star Wars will know what made star wars great.
4) Almost everything a company today has was purchased from somebody. If nothing else, the original creators.
5) *takes a breath* .... *sigh* got me there.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Finally! someone who knows what the hell they're doing in the franchise...<.<

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Disney isn't some weakling when it comes to making movies. They might be a little money crazed, but I'll be damned if they don't make great films. I completely trust them with star wars. Lets hope I won't regret that.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Hrrum...the guy who wrote the best Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, and introduced to us both Indiana Jones and Marion...

...and yet, the same guy who must have written Ewoks into Return of the Jedi...

...cannot tell if good thing...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Empire was my favorite of the original trilogy, so we'll see how this goes... but the whole 'Darth Vader coming back' thing is going to kill any credibility these movies have. Unless he just does what he does in the Thrawn Trilogy, ghost in once like Obi-wan and then fades away forever. That would be fine.

Also, I concur with the general thought that X-Men 3 was garbage and it's writer should not be allowed near Star Wars. I'm not gonna say that there is no way it could possibly be worse than Episode III, though. As Garfield once said, "Never say things can't get any worse, because things will find a way."

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, here are a few things.

This is good news in my view. I am hopeful. The writer of Raiders, Empire, and Jedi returning to do work is a good thing.

Listen, I know it's fun to hate on Disney, but think about it. They have made some of the best animated films in history. They made the Marvel movies, ending with the Avengers. Those, at the worst, were still watchable and made some great casting choices. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury. Edward Norton and then Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. I felt Chris Evans played a great Captain America. And you gotta love Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. I doubt anyone would say that those movies or even the casting choices were bad.

But, hey, don't take my word for it. Here's Angry Joe.

Look how excited he is.​

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Th37thTrump3t said:
2015?! But we'll all be dead in less than a month!
My thoughts exactly.

In all honesty, this doesn't sound all too bad. With the one exception being the rumor that they're going to resurrect Darth Vader (I really hope this means they're just bringing back the guy in the armor and they're not actually gonna resurrect Anakin Skywalker, therefore ruining the entire point of the Star Wars movie saga), the Disney-led Star Wars films sound like they're not entirely going to suck.

However, if I read anything involving the "Trade Federation" or "tax disputes" in the opening crawl to Episode 7, I am going to burn my cinema down.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Just so long as I don't the word midichlorians outside of reference to a pre-Renaissance themed pool party.
Don't read "Darth Plagueis", it's ALL about the midichlorians, they're essential to Star Wars now, blame Lucas. lol According to the book, they conduct the Force inside a living being, Plagueis main plan is to somehow take control over the little bastards... lol

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
A Smooth Criminal said:
I've had constant ups and downs with my opinion on this...

• It started with a down, they were probably going to make another bad starwars movie
    Then an up, with the realization that george lucas wouldn't change anything
    Then another up, when I thought about how Disney doesn't just have a bunch of kids films on its movie list
    Then a down, with the Toy Story 3 guy directing it or something (I don't actually like Toy Story..)
    Then another down, with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back, thus disregarding the books
    Now an up, with the writer from the original trilogy doing the writing.
I LOVE the books, but I totally get it if they want to cut around the canon Expanded Universe to fit movies and maybe even rewrite certain parts of the EU (like The New 52); as long as the new movies are good, I don't care.
BUT VADER?! THAT would be stupid to say the least, he was CREMATED, his return would make no sense at all. I think this rumor is BS (not saying you're saying bs, the rumor is).