Employees of manga publisher Seven Seas are forming a union

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Mission Statement

Goals include better pay, support, and protections for freelancer who can't join the union because they're freelancers

Seven Seas has since hired a union busting firm because of course they have. That said, the union is not asking for a boycott at this time

Seven Seas is going to force a union vote instead of recognizing the union, despite the fact that most employees already have a union card. Gonna have months of bad press for nothing

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Would suck if this caused the discontinuation of some manga I'm following, but Seven Seas has some dodgey translations and the workers deserve a good working environment and I've heard some horror stories of how bad translation departments are treated.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
We'll sail across the Seven Seas,
We'll sail the Spanish Main.
We'll sail to every distant shore,
And we'll sail back again.

We...

Oh, wait, wrong IP.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Would suck if this caused the discontinuation of some manga I'm following, but Seven Seas has some dodgey translations and the workers deserve a good working environment and I've heard some horror stories of how bad translation departments are treated.
Technically speaking, Seaven Seas doesn't *have* a translation department, it's all freelancers. Like, I don't even know if they have in house editors, and even if they did they've only got like 40 employees.

Looking at Seven Seas output, that's crazy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
SS has done some shoddy work in the past but also has released some really risky material too so I am happy for anything good that comes their way. They deserve it. I read raws now because I am more and more unable to stand localization but back in the day they were one of my main manga providers alongside tokyopop. Remember tokyopop? Those were some fun days lol.