Empty USB 3.2 port on the motherboard...

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What to fill it with?

Backstory: bought a case a few years ago under the assumption that I'd slowly be putting a computer together.

Shortly thereafter realized that that's a stupid idea. Smash cut to now, having put said computer together, but the case doesn't have a front panel USB-C to plug into that spot

Any ideas? I'm not above some light case modding

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
What to fill it with?

Backstory: bought a case a few years ago under the assumption that I'd slowly be putting a computer together.

Shortly thereafter realized that that's a stupid idea. Smash cut to now, having put said computer together, but the case doesn't have a front panel USB-C to plug into that spot

Any ideas? I'm not above some light case modding
There might be a backplate item you can buy that you can use to plug the USB-C into and then run a long USB-C cable from the back to the front.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Have you checked with the manufacturer if they don't offer upgrade kits for the front of your case? I know from experience Corsair does for some of its older cases, like my 750d. Perhaps others do too.

Tho before that I actually 'solved' it the way Gordon suggested, running a cable from the rear i/o.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, I think my plan is "install a PCI card with an internal 20 pin connector to install a front panel card reader that also has a usb c connector"

How dare computer accessories manufacturers not cater to my specific edge case