End of Nations "On Hold," Website Disappears

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
End of Nations "On Hold," Website Disappears

It looks like this could be the end for End of Nations.

Trion Worlds didn't come right out and say it, but it looks like the bell may have finally been rung on End of Nations. The Trion Worlds site [http://www.endofnations.com/]. Speaking to GameFront, Trion PR Manager Anais Gragueb said nothing to suggest that better news is on the way.

"As we informed EON's community last fall, internal development on End of Nations was put on hold in late 2013 while we evaluated potential paths forward for the title," she said. "We're currently focusing the company's energy and creativity on Rift, Defiance, Trove, ArcheAge, and some new projects we'll be revealing soon."

If it is the end of the line, nobody will be able to say they didn't see it coming. A planned open beta was MOBA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120843-End-of-Nations-Open-Beta-Postponed-Indefinitely-UPDATED], nothing has been said about it since.

Source: GameFront [http://www.gamefront.com/trion-end-of-nations-on-hold-future-in-doubt/]

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
To be honest it is probably better this way.
I'd rather see it killed of now than see its transformation into another dotalike complete.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
It's best they killed it, they blew their chances when they started hyping it up as an MMO RTS (I heard those words come from their mouths at the time in 2012).

After a while they suddenly turned around during early 2013 to say it wasn't an MMO RTS but instead a "moba type RTS", which was a total clusterfuck since we've got too many of those already on the market and don't need any more of those, they did however fuck up their one chance to make a proper first ever MMO RTS type game that could have set a future trend but no they had to go for a Moba design.

I was really looking forward to this about 2 years ago, the same with C&C (hoping one day a good one may arise) but both weren't meant to be, instead I've got Planetary Annihilation, a really decent RTS game that's trying out new ideas in the RTS genre and isn't changing their core mechanics and ideas at the last minute and running away from their problems or shutting their site down.

RTS games these days seem so rare compared to the 90's and early 2000's and that alone makes me sad for my most favourite genre.

It's also a damn shame Petroglyph Games suffered even more of a fracture from what's happened to EON, basically Westwood remnants further being fractured.

Here's a video from 2 years ago when the promise looked amazing and they actually called it an MMO RTS (Before turning around and lying by saying it was a MOBA all along)

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
well i was really looking forward to playing the MMO RTS version of this game before it turned into one of those "MOBA" games

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The problem with Trion is that it's another "bandwagon" company, always chasing after what's already hot and popular. The only companies that can seem to do that and survive are... well, EA. They have enough money to throw at it endlessly.

It's not that Rift was a bad game, quite the contrary. It was just a few years too late to matter. WoW had the market, and people weren't about to ditch it in droves for a slightly better version with less content and none of their friends and accumulated achievements.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I played the BETA years ago and it just felt flat, it had potential but after they took it away from Petroglyph studios/Westwood then I lost interest.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Credossuck said:
They realized they had no idea how to balance the proposed multiplayer mass battles, and as such reduced the number of units both controlled and in terms of variety in order to get a better starting point for balance. Then they saw the rise of mobas and tried to get in on that but realized just how this will fail when c&c came and did it first.
Ever since they have been siting on it trying to find new direction.
^ This.

As a man who actually played some time with the game, I can confess that even while Petroglyph was running the show...the game was HORRENDOUS. A lot of it boiled down to balance - nine out of ten engagements strongly favored the Shadow Revolution, for their ability to spam AOE everywhere. And I mean freaking EVERYWHERE. If a faction full of blind idiots can win a battle head on with the faction that's SUPPOSED to be fighting you head on, and your faction is built around Stealth and Tactical thinking, something is clearly screwed up in the balance department.

The game was an utter mess, and everyone - I mean EVERYONE - with an ounce of talent or dignity left shortly after Universe at War flopped HARD.

In short - unfun poorly balanced game finally gets a merciful bullet to the head. That bullet really should have come a lot sooner.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Sir Shockwave said:
Credossuck said:
They realized they had no idea how to balance the proposed multiplayer mass battles, and as such reduced the number of units both controlled and in terms of variety in order to get a better starting point for balance. Then they saw the rise of mobas and tried to get in on that but realized just how this will fail when c&c came and did it first.
Ever since they have been siting on it trying to find new direction.
^ This.

As a man who actually played some time with the game, I can confess that even while Petroglyph was running the show...the game was HORRENDOUS. A lot of it boiled down to balance - nine out of ten engagements strongly favored the Shadow Revolution, for their ability to spam AOE everywhere. And I mean freaking EVERYWHERE. If a faction full of blind idiots can win a battle head on with the faction that's SUPPOSED to be fighting you head on, and your faction is built around Stealth and Tactical thinking, something is clearly screwed up in the balance department.

The game was an utter mess, and everyone - I mean EVERYONE - with an ounce of talent or dignity left shortly after Universe at War flopped HARD.

In short - unfun poorly balanced game finally gets a merciful bullet to the head. That bullet really should have come a lot sooner.
Balance was so bad, at the end I was only playing the coop map. :/
Until they turned it into a MOBA. And then I just couldn't keep going. Never has something I had so much hope for go down the drain so quickly and poorly. Maybe one day somebody will create an MMO/RTS, but for now, I guess we will have to wait.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Yozozo said:
Balance was so bad, at the end I was only playing the coop map. :/

Until they turned it into a MOBA. And then I just couldn't keep going. Never has something I had so much hope for go down the drain so quickly and poorly. Maybe one day somebody will create an MMO/RTS, but for now, I guess we will have to wait.
I feel your pain. Although on a fun note, End of Nations remains the ONLY Beta I regret being involved with - to the point where I actually requested my key be revoked.

It also doesn't help that the Dev's only listened to one fan who was basically teacher's pet -_-