Endless Legend Review - A Better Fantasy Strategy Through Science

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Endless Legend Review - A Better Fantasy Strategy Through Science

There's a lot to love in this beautiful science-fantasy turn-based strategy title.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm. Got my friend this for his birthday. May need to pick it up myself when it goes on sale.

EDIT: Which is...right now. Damn, talk about good timing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really, really want to play it but I'm really, really poor right now.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
A couple of issues with this review; you do control your units in the turn based combat and moving forward a research era doesn't prevent you backfilling older 'missed' research, you can research from any era you have unlocked but only current era research counts towards unlocking the new era.

I have to agree on the background though, the Endless games have a gloriously rich background.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I honestly had never even heard of this game, but color me very intrigued, sounds excellent. I love how distinctively different all the various factions are.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I have been a supporter of Amplitude Studios since its conception.

They are a diamond in the rough. And that is how I see Endless Legends as well. There are many thing to love, and they are certainly pushing boundaries of the genre. But there's a certain chunkiness to their stuff, which gets fainter with every new project they release. They have bright future ahead of them indeed.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
On a related subject, I picked up all three games recently but haven't played any of them(I really want to though). Is there any advantage to playing them in Order(Space, Dungeon, Legend) or is it more pick the type of game you are most wanting to play?

I know that Dungeon precedes Legend but not if it matters.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Dalisclock said:
On a related subject, I picked up all three games recently but haven't played any of them(I really want to though). Is there any advantage to playing them in Order(Space, Dungeon, Legend) or is it more pick the type of game you are most wanting to play?

I know that Dungeon precedes Legend but not if it matters.
No, they're all completely independent. They use the same idea of "dust" as both a currency and a pseudo-scientific basis for magic, but other than that and some background fluff there's really no connection between the games at all. It's basically like Warhammer and Warhammer 40K - various shared ideas and background, but no solid connection and no need to play both if you don't want to.

Edit: To be honest, I wouldn't recommend playing Dungeon at all. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the other games other than supposedly being set in the same universe, and it's by far the ugliest game I've ever had the misfortune of setting my eyes on. Even if you like whatever genre it's supposed to be, I can't see any reason you'd ever want to play this instead of literally anything else.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
ForumSafari said:
A couple of issues with this review; you do control your units in the turn based combat and moving forward a research era doesn't prevent you backfilling older 'missed' research, you can research from any era you have unlocked but only current era research counts towards unlocking the new era.

I have to agree on the background though, the Endless games have a gloriously rich background.
You control your units by giving them orders, but not turn-by-turn. They can do things you didn't expect or don't like due to changed situations since you set up your battle plan.

And you can definitely go back for old research, but what I meant there is that the system constantly increases the amount of research options available to you because of this. It can get confusing.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
JonB said:
You control your units by giving them orders, but not turn-by-turn. They can do things you didn't expect or don't like due to changed situations since you set up your battle plan.
You specify orders for each unit at the start of each turn, they then carry out those orders in initiative order, defaulting to AI orders if their order becomes untenable. That suggests ongoing unit control to me, though I guess what you were referring to was something closer to Warmachine's activation system where you can sequence activations to react to and shape combat (i.e. activate your infantry first to clear a blocker out of the way for your warjack to then charge through where they were).

To be honest I like that in a strategy game, I like the idea that my orders might cease to apply by the time the unit gets its' turn, it feels pretty realistic for old-school warfare and encourages me not to overkill a single target.

AS for the research I actually found backfilling cheaper research in a few turns when I had later research to boost my Science was a pretty efficient strategy. Pay less later for the same thing.