Engineer Earns Half-Million From iPhone Game

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Engineer Earns Half-Million From iPhone Game

One technology engineer is going to earn half a million dollars from his self-developed iPhone game iShoot.

Ethan Nicholas, Sun Microsystems engineer, husband and father, quit his day job after successfully programming and selling iShoot, a $3 side-scrolling shooter that rose to number one on the iTunes App Store.

After quitting his job, teaching himself Apple's platform and spending eight hours a day working on the game, iShoot was launched in October to little fanfare. It wasn't until January's free iShootLite, a free downloadable demo of the full game which received 2.4 million users, that 320,000 people were convinced to purchase the full game.

"I'm not going to be a millionaire in the next month, but I'd be shocked if it didn't happen at the end of the year," he said in a phone interview with Wired [http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/shoot-is-iphone.html]. "If it weren't for taxes I would be a millionaire right now."

Nicholas was inspired by the success of Trism, a game with a sole developer that sold $250,000 in revenue in its first two months.

"I never expected to get anywhere near where I did," Nicholas said. "And of course I've more than doubled [what Trism accomplished] in one month."

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
....So wait, did this guy just get rich making what appears to be charred dirt/worms for the IPhone?

Jul 9, 2008
...That looks suspiciously like Tanks, a free flash game on addictinggames.com. Who knows though, that's just a screenshot, maybe it's actually unique.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
orannis62 said:
...That looks suspiciously like Tanks, a free flash game on addictinggames.com. Who knows though, that's just a screenshot, maybe it's actually unique.

Actually they're pretty much alike in every way.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
ha, there's quite a few scorched earth clones out there and normally i would be critical, but it was one of the first games i ever played and as such i have fond feeling towards the game and its many cousins.