English Film adaptations of International Films

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
So this comes off the back of watching the US remake of Old Boy on Netflix. I mean, I didn't have particularly high hopes, but it felt like both a scene-for-scene rip-off of the original yet at the same time an empty husk - for instance, they tried to recreate the iconic fight scene in the corridor but failed to come even close to pulling it off. Which brings me to the point. Thinking back, I can't remember any English adaptations of international movies which have held up to the original at all. Old Boy was lousy, the US version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo doesn't even compare to the Swedish version, and I only heard bad things about the recent Ghost in the Shell.

So the question is - which films do you think have been well-adapted? Or if there aren't any, what's the issue? Is it the cultural differences making the story disjointed from the setting? The differences in style between US movies and those in other countries? The fact that a remake almost by definition attempts to capture the essence of an existing movie rather than blaze its own trail?

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Palindromemordnilap said:
How close of an adaption are we talking here? Because The Magnificent Seven is a pretty good US remake of Seven Samurai
Actually, good shout. I have been meaning to watch that for a while...

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Funny Games is an interesting one because it was adapted almost exactly ten years after the original, by the same director, using the same set and same props and is an almost identical shot-for-shot remake.

I don't know that it is the kind of film that one gains a lot from watching it in it's original German, so I suppose the remake could be just as impactful. I've only watched the original, however.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Are you talking about English remakes or English-language (i.e. usually North American) remakes? Quite a difference there.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Catnip1024 said:
Or if there aren't any, what's the issue? Is it the cultural differences making the story disjointed from the setting? The differences in style between US movies and those in other countries? The fact that a remake almost by definition attempts to capture the essence of an existing movie rather than blaze its own trail?
That about sums it up. Values dissonance, differences in style, failing to understand to source material, or in the case of Dragon Ball Evolution, trying to appeal to an audience the source material was not aimed at.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Palindromemordnilap said:
How close of an adaption are we talking here? Because The Magnificent Seven is a pretty good US remake of Seven Samurai
This was my first thought as well, but this film attempted to translate more than just the words into English.

Oldboy though, things like that hallway fight made more sense in no-gun Korea. Makes less sense in the US.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Squilookle said:
Are you talking about English remakes or English-language (i.e. usually North American) remakes? Quite a difference there.
Well, if we are being picky (or accurate), I will clarify that I meant English language. Hence why I am talking about US films in the OP.

I mean, I can't think of many British remakes of foreign films to start with.

Saelune said:
Oldboy though, things like that hallway fight made more sense in no-gun Korea. Makes less sense in the US.
Yup. The other thing that bugged me about that scene was that they mimicked the way that they moved in the Korean version, which doesn't really make sense for a bunch of white US thugs. Western thuggery takes a different style to Korean thuggery, and they should have built it around that if they were going to do it at all.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Catnip1024 said:
and I only heard bad things about the recent Ghost in the Shell.
Rest assured that if you heard bad things, you heard them correctly.

Also, if we're adding lousy English adaptations of foreign films, you can add 'The Secret in Their Eyes' to the list.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
"International films"?
Pretty sure there's no such thing as "international" films.
Is this just for Hollywood adaptations?

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Frankly, I've always found the entire concept confusing and infuriating [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9eyr5P9qaQ].

I mean, if you think a movie is worth adapting, then certainly you think it's good enough that people would be interested in in the first place, so really... what's the point? And if it's simply a language problem, then certainly subtitles or dubbing over the original would be a far more cost-effective solution than making what's essentially a whole new movie?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ogoid said:
Frankly, I've always found the entire concept confusing and infuriating [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9eyr5P9qaQ].

I mean, if you think a movie is worth adapting, then certainly you think it's good enough that people would be interested in in the first place, so really... what's the point? And if it's simply a language problem, then certainly subtitles or dubbing over the original would be a far more cost-effective solution than making what's essentially a whole new movie?
Yeah, always seemed to be a weird US thing to me, Hollywood thinks people are allergic to non-US films, so they have to redo them with Americans otherwise the audience comes out in spots or something?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Just thought of one - Quarantine. Or at least in the sense that while I can't compare it to Rec, I think it's a pretty decent horror film in its own right.

Ogoid said:
That's true for the most part, but I can imagine that adapting it can be worth it if it suits the cultural context. While I haven't seen either, supposedly Seven Samurai & Magnificent Seven are an example of this.

Something that doesn't work in this case is 'The Secret in Their Eyes'. Part of why the original works is that it takes place in Argentina decades ago, where its plot ties in heavily with the class divide within the country. People can get away with certain things easily due to their higher social status. In contrast, the US adaptation falls short, because it tries to recontextualize it in the context of the early post-9/11 era. However, it just doesn't work. It doesn't work as social commentary, nor does it keep within credulity.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Have heard the Animal Kingdom TV series is ok. If Aussie to American counts. And if 'ok' counts. And if 'film to series' adaptation counts.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ogoid said:

Meh! A lot of people simply can't appreciate a good movie if it doesn't have Hollywood actors. Besides, dubbing and filming are two separate industries.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Tayh said:
"International films"?
Pretty sure there's no such thing as "international" films.
Is this just for Hollywood adaptations?
Well, the Netflix genre categories beg to differ. I don't know what a better term would be, though - "Foreign"?

I mean - if you can think of non-Hollywood / US reboots of foreign films / series', feel free to suggest them. I was struggling to think of any.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Have heard the Animal Kingdom TV series is ok. If Aussie to American counts. And if 'ok' counts. And if 'film to series' adaptation counts.
Yeah, TV counts. And English-language to English-language adaptations, because that would let me complain about the US reboot of the Office.