Enjoying The Witcher 3? Have Some Free DLC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Free The Witcher 3 DLC will be dropping every week for the next two months.

In the lead up to the launch of The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red promised plenty of free content in the form of weekly DLC drops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138453-Witcher-3-Dev-Giving-Away-16-Pieces-of-Free-DLC-Post-Purchase]. You might have noticed two of those pieces accompanied the game's launch last week: a Temerian Armor set and a collection of beards/hairstyles for Geralt. Now, it's time for two more, an alternative look for Yennefer and a new contract in Skellige called "Missing Miners."

Steam and official website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135069-GOG-Galaxy-Optional-Client-Announced].

These four pieces of DLC are the only ones we knew about before launch, meaning that the remaining 12 are a completely mystery. Two will be released every week for the next six weeks.

As well as the 16 free DLCs, The Witcher 3 will also feature two paid expansion packs, the first of which: Hearts of Stone, launches in October.

In other Witcher 3 news, developer CD Projekt Red has thrown together a new trailer, which you can check out above. MCVUK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-takes-the-top-spot-is-the-biggest-launch-of-the-year-to-date/0149976] is also reporting that The Witcher 3 has had the biggest launch of any video game this year, beating out the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V.

Source: CD Projekt Red [https://www.facebook.com/thewitcher/photos/a.165254449330.117240.9659019330/10152993041869331/?type=1&theater]

Sep 14, 2009
hmm...so the missing miners DLC is in skellige?

Damn, I cannot figure out what the fuck is supposed to be in the devil's pit in velen then, I spent a solid 20 fucking minutes looking for keys for those 2 bloody locked doors (not to mention the map changed to a different dungeon when you were at the bottom of the pit), and it seemed like everyone online thought that's what it would be as well.

still, this game is just oozing with awesomeness, as far as rpg's go I feel like the witcher 3 has raised the bar and I'll be comparing most games to it for quite a few years.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Haha, amusing that this shows up today, as just last night I listened to this. Beautiful little touch to the game, although its in english.

I'm excited to see what other free content they add in. I've yet to have myself look at a quest and refuse it because It's like the last dozen, so that's a good sign. I'd claim that these additional quests will keep me coming back, but frankly, I'll probably still be playing the straight content even as they finish injecting the new stuff.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I assume this is only for the PC? Not that I'd complain since the default game is already a rich slab of whale blubber.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So I assume this is only for the PC? Not that I'd complain since the default game is already a rich slab of whale blubber.
Nope it's free and available for all platforms the game is on.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138453-Witcher-3-Dev-Giving-Away-16-Pieces-of-Free-DLC-Post-Purchase

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bat Vader said:
Casual Shinji said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138453-Witcher-3-Dev-Giving-Away-16-Pieces-of-Free-DLC-Post-Purchase
Aagh God, it's too much game... i-it's just too much...

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
I want so much to like CD Projekt, they always seem to act in the consumers' interests. They lost the DRM for the Witcher, they release tons of free DLC, I just wish they would make a game that's fun.

Maybe this one is different, but the first two games did not do it for me. And that makes me sad.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Fuck the DLC.

Get your arse together and fix the performance and bug issues. Every patch released has made performance worse and worse.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Bat Vader said:
Casual Shinji said:

Aagh God, it's too much game... i-it's just too much...
I know you feeling. Every time i look at the map in my game i think:
"How the f*ck did i play for 40 hours and just cleared this few of the game?!"

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
mad825 said:
Every patch released has made performance worse and worse.
I've had the opposite experience, every patch has raised performance, particularly 1.03 which took me up an entire preset graphics tier.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
ForumSafari said:
mad825 said:
Every patch released has made performance worse and worse.
I've had the opposite experience, every patch has raised performance, particularly 1.03 which took me up an entire preset graphics tier.
It's less each patch making his potato getting worse and worse in performance, his potato is just getting mouldy and rotten

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Steven Bogos said:

Free The Witcher 3 DLC will be dropping every week for the next two months.

In the lead up to the launch of The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red promised plenty of free content in the form of weekly DLC drops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138453-Witcher-3-Dev-Giving-Away-16-Pieces-of-Free-DLC-Post-Purchase]. You might have noticed two of those pieces accompanied the game's launch last week: a Temerian Armor set and a collection of beards/hairstyles for Geralt. Now, it's time for two more, an alternative look for Yennefer and a new contract in Skellige called "Missing Miners."

Steam and official website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135069-GOG-Galaxy-Optional-Client-Announced].

These four pieces of DLC are the only ones we knew about before launch, meaning that the remaining 12 are a completely mystery. Two will be released every week for the next six weeks.

As well as the 16 free DLCs, The Witcher 3 will also feature two paid expansion packs, the first of which: Hearts of Stone, launches in October.

In other Witcher 3 news, developer CD Projekt Red has thrown together a new trailer, which you can check out above. MCVUK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-takes-the-top-spot-is-the-biggest-launch-of-the-year-to-date/0149976] is also reporting that The Witcher 3 has had the biggest launch of any video game this year, beating out the PC version of Grand Theft Auto V.

Source: CD Projekt Red [https://www.facebook.com/thewitcher/photos/a.165254449330.117240.9659019330/10152993041869331/?type=1&theater]

So then can we wait for the last month to get all this DLC, or do we need to get it every single week?

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
12 pieces of DLC?

for free?

Sorry but that sounds like a marketing scheme that could easily turn into 12 paid dlc's (like it did with the total war games).

I mean if you're going to push these things for free they could have been included in the base game...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Politrukk said:
12 pieces of DLC?

for free?

Sorry but that sounds like a marketing scheme that could easily turn into 12 paid dlc's (like it did with the total war games).

I mean if you're going to push these things for free they could have been included in the base game...
As far as I know this is simply a way for CD Projekt to reward people who actually purchased the game and make piracy that much more difficult to access 100% content. Because having to re-crack the game again and again to add the constant DLC or require folk to download whole "fully cracked" versions again and again makes buying the game more worthwhile.

So it's rewarding customers and punishing pirates rather than punishing customers and rewarding pirates that other companies employ.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Abomination said:
Politrukk said:
12 pieces of DLC?

for free?

As far as I know this is simply a way for CD Projekt to reward people who actually purchased the game and make piracy that much more difficult to access 100% content. Because having to re-crack the game again and again to add the constant DLC or require folk to download whole "fully cracked" versions again and again makes buying the game more worthwhile.

So it's rewarding customers and punishing pirates rather than punishing customers and rewarding pirates that other companies employ.
That still sounds like a lame excuse to me.
I'm sorry but one of the DLC's is a haircut for Geralt? really why is that not in the main-game.
I'm getting really tired of developers coming up with all sorts of excuses to validate day-one/month-one DLC.
The only good thing about this is that CD-Projekt isn't actually making you pay for it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Politrukk said:
I'm sorry but one of the DLC's is a haircut for Geralt? really why is that not in the main-game.
I'm getting really tired of developers coming up with all sorts of excuses to validate day-one/month-one DLC.
The only good thing about this is that CD-Projekt isn't actually making you pay for it.
A lame excuse for what? It's not an excuse, it's the REASON they're doing it. A sure-fire way to give benefit to those who legitimately purchased the game.

There is going to be some paid DLC but it was announced as being more akin to Expansion Packs of old, such as a whole new zone (zones in Witcher III are fucking huge).

They don't need to excuse themselves from anything. As it stands the game is massive, a complete blast, I've put about 70 hours into it and I'm not even close to finished. I don't even think I've got to the island where the latest DLC is applied to. If the game didn't have the DLC it'd still be great.

Also, it's free.

Edit: Just noticed something on the Steam store, due to this DLC the Witcher III now holds the top THREE spots on the Popular New Releases tab. I imagine because the DLC is free it's considered to be just the game and a ton of people have just downloaded it.

I can't say with certainty if CD Projekt intended this because it's definitely a bug with Steam but it is certainly more publicity for them (not like they needed any more).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Politrukk said:
Abomination said:
Politrukk said:
12 pieces of DLC?

for free?

You're really bad at this "paranoia" thing. Your "complaints" (if they can be called that) are easily swatted aside (there wasn't the haircut in the main release because it wasn't drawn yet, 99% likely), and furthermore, since it's FREE DLC, it is, for all intents and purposes, part of the main game. How on Earth can you be upset that they're adding extra stuff to the game post-release?

As tired as you may think you are of DLC, I am INFINITELY more tired of the likes of you who are hell-bent on demonizing game devs and concepts like DLC, despite there being literally no sane way to demonize them in cases like this. When did fussing about nothing become an international sport? Can't you all go away? Please? :(

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Yay, that means even MORE chocolate pudding

Send halp plz Witcher 3 lost control of my life.

There's so. MUCH. GAME. AGGGGHGHGHHG

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I hope one of the DLCs is a picknick basket or something. The game is seriously pretty enough that I can just stroll around in the beautiful nature and drool.