Enraging adverts

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Adverts generally annoy me, and YouTube has been getting toxic with them over the last few years. Adverts at the beginning, then they introduced adverts at the end, and just to really piss you off, adverts in the middle so that when you're 5 minutes into The Perfect Kiss (12" version) by New Order, it decides to interrupt the song to play some adverts. I'm aware this is howling my rage pointlessly into the void, but I want to get it off my chest.

However, there's a particular kind of YouTube advert that really annoys me. They're very long, look pretty professional, and are invariably selling you snake oil with pseudoscience, set up as a narrative that goes "Heroic inventor wants to do good and horrifies major corporations by creating amazing thing that will undercut them."

The last one I encountered is alleged to be a device that heats up rooms using 90% less energy. Now, I'm not a physicist, but I'm pretty sure the main cause of inefficiency in energy conversion... is heat creation. Like a lightbulb gets hot, when you ideally just want it to create light (and why LEDs are massively more efficient than tungsten filament and halogen bulbs). Work a fan, it has friction, which creates heat. I can see literally no way that a heater can create heat that much more efficiently: best it could do is be better at making the heat circulate faster, or have feedback controls that reduce its output to when desired temperature is reached.

There was one about some Japanese doctor who made these things you stick on your feet overnight and it sucks out body toxins. See the proof: it's turned black in the morning, and that black colour must be your toxins! Then there's one that's some nonsense about drinking water before going to bed and losing 2 pounds in weight overnight or something.

These are utter trash for the gullible, and I am pretty sure that on TV they would be struck down by advertising standards agencies.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There was one about some Japanese doctor who made these things you stick on your feet overnight and it sucks out body toxins. See the proof: it's turned black in the morning, and that black colour must be your toxins! Then there's one that's some nonsense about drinking water before going to bed and losing 2 pounds in weight overnight or something.
Oh yeah, seen the Japanese foot herbs things.

On a not totally unrelated note, I believe the T&C for youtube says you shouldn't use any of the many free sites, add-ones or programs that allow you to download from youtube, which lets you put the video, sans ads on your computer to watch at your leisure, possibly for reasons of ad revenue, though copyright is also mentioned.

Reactions: Agema

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
*sheepishly slides adblock under the sofa*

Ahem.

Yup them ads can get obnoxiously dumbfounding when they sneak through the defenses regularly occur.

Newpipe works well as a more user-friendly YouTube provider. Or so I heard. On the grapevine. đź‘€

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I haven't seen those, but since I follow some political stuff and am in tx I get some weird right wing ads that piss me off. Recently I had one by some right wing dip shit politician that was super about opposing Biden and sucking trumps dick.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I got pretty sick of the ads on Youtube, they were just obnoxious. So I downloaded a certain bit of software the blocks the adverts. I've not seen an advert on that site for well over a year now.

If only they made something similar for TV.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I use ad block on YouTube, because the ads get so obnoxious. The longer the video, the more frequent and more obnoxious the ads are. I only watch YouTube on my PS4 for certain users and that is it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I use the Brave browser solely for watching YouTube on my computer since it blocks ads, and I'm sorely tempted to put it on my tablet for when I'm listening to videos while working. It seems like every other ad these days is either some cryptobro shilling their personal brand of garbage, or some vaguely "patriotic" trinket "that makes the liberals furious!".

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
On a not totally unrelated note, I believe the T&C for youtube says you shouldn't use any of the many free sites, add-ones or programs that allow you to download from youtube, which lets you put the video, sans ads on your computer to watch at your leisure, possibly for reasons of ad revenue, though copyright is also mentioned.
I hereby let you know that I take very serious note of your warning that I should in no way whatsoever use any free sites, ad-ons or programs that allow me to circumvent YouTube ads out of respect for YouTube's T&Cs.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
*sheepishly slides adblock under the sofa*

Ahem.

Yup them ads can get obnoxiously dumbfounding when they sneak through the defenses regularly occur.

Newpipe works well as a more user-friendly YouTube provider. Or so I heard. On the grapevine. đź‘€
Yes, I don't miss watching adverts in the slightest. It's been over a decade since I've had cable and I can't even imagine how we gave 1/3 of our time to simply watching people try to sell us things.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I haven't seen those, but since I follow some political stuff and am in tx I get some weird right wing ads that piss me off. Recently I had one by some right wing dip shit politician that was super about opposing Biden and sucking trumps dick.
For some reason I get PragerU ads every so often despite blocking them. They start out seeming reasonable but then turn into Conservative Conspiracy Mongering after about a minute and if I missed the little "PragerU" thing I just wasted a minute of my life before I realized I was watching garbage.

PragerU is also not an actual university, BTW. They just use the term because it makes their garbage sound like it's smarter. Words mean things until they don't, apparently.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The last one I encountered is alleged to be a device that heats up rooms using 90% less energy. Now, I'm not a physicist, but I'm pretty sure the main cause of inefficiency in energy conversion... is heat creation. Like a lightbulb gets hot, when you ideally just want it to create light (and why LEDs are massively more efficient than tungsten filament and halogen bulbs). Work a fan, it has friction, which creates heat. I can see literally no way that a heater can create heat that much more efficiently: best it could do is be better at making the heat circulate faster, or have feedback controls that reduce its output to when desired temperature is reached.
It could fall over and set fire to your carpet, then you could turn the power off and still be warm. Or maybe the element running across a larger surface area would radiate heat quicker in terms of contact area with air? Dunno, I usually just sit with my arse three inches from the wood burner and hope for the best.

I was listening to an audiobook from Scribd the other day, called Building a Better World in Your Backyard, which would usually be right up my street as I'm a big old tinkerer. But it's just some guy raving about how awful LED lights (scored 2/10) are compared to incandescent (scored 8 or 9/10, a bit below daylight), and how they're a plot by China and Big Lighting. Cancelled my Scribd subscription on principle.

Edit: the book is available as preview on Amazon and I got the scores wrong: LEDs are 3/10 and incandescent are 10/10.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
For some reason I get PragerU ads every so often despite blocking them. They start out seeming reasonable but then turn into Conservative Conspiracy Mongering after about a minute and if I missed the little "PragerU" thing I just wasted a minute of my life before I realized I was watching garbage.

PragerU is also not an actual university, BTW. They just use the term because it makes their garbage sound like it's smarter. Words mean things until they don't, apparently.
Yeah, I can only assume I get them because of the political and history stuff and they like to pretend they have history vids and they are certainly political. But they are also scum and the reason why I am so disappointed in Mike Rowe.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I use the Brave browser solely for watching YouTube on my computer since it blocks ads, and I'm sorely tempted to put it on my tablet for when I'm listening to videos while working. It seems like every other ad these days is either some cryptobro shilling their personal brand of garbage, or some vaguely "patriotic" trinket "that makes the liberals furious!".
I keep getting liberty mutual, tik tok ads, and sometimes Michigan based ads. I guess I should consider myself lucky, but I despise the Liberty Mutual ads. They are so fucking obnoxious and not funny.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Usually I'm not annoyed by what an advertisement is selling but by how they're doing it. Like there was one on Youtube a while back with a little girl talking about what she'll be and the way she said it annoyed the hell out of me with things like, "I will rooaaar...... like a bear" that freaking pause drove me up the wall for some reason and having to hear that commercial all the freaking time was infuriating.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Can I complain about TV advertisements here? Because I will.

Particularly daytime TV ads. I've noticed the ads on TV during the day are extremely targeted towards the elderly or infirm. Every other ad is about Medicare/Medicaid, life insurance or a medication, and they're all obnoxiously long. True, I don't have to watch them, but neither do they have to be so damned long or so damned asinine. A guy flying a kite through a meadow with his golden retriever running alongside while the voiceover says "side effects may include rectal bleeding, migraines, fractured kneecaps and demonic possession."

As it stands, if I ever see this guy in the streets, I'm punching him in the throat, and the poor guy won't even know why.

1649943975557.png

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
On the rare occasions I watch TV, I like to play "guess who watches this show" during the ad breaks. This program is for old people who need life insurance and funerals, this programs is for complete tossers buying stupid stuff etc

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
On the rare occasions I watch TV, I like to play "guess who watches this show" during the ad breaks. This program is for old people who need life insurance and funerals, this programs is for complete tossers buying stupid stuff etc
You would think after the pandemic stuck everyone at home, ad execs would react to the opportunity to target people other than 70-year-olds watching daytime television, but nope. I suffer the ads for The Price Is Right and Let's Make A Deal, then switch to ESPN where the obnoxiously long, oft repeated commercial is for EmbraceTheAwkward.org, a commercial starring the most annoying YouTuber Markiplier, encouraging you to reach out to friends about their mental health, which ironically drives me crazy.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't know if enraging but there's a DoorDash ad I see all the all on youtube which is just some food and a guitar riff playing. Except it's the same riff three times in a row and for some reason it fucking grates on me I guess it's because it sounds like the start of a song but instead of actually proceeding it just repeating the start two more time and never goes forward and it annoys the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010

I hear this advert on the radio all the time and it really bugs me because the poor bloke who has done Noah's one job for him, in a short space of time no less is going to drown in a biblical flood. This makes Noah a massive dick for not offering him a place on the ark. I feel like its the least he could do.

I know its supposed to be funny, but it really winds me up for some reason.