Enter the Dominatrix Pulls Out of Saints Row: The Third

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Enter the Dominatrix Pulls Out of Saints Row: The Third

The cancellation of an expansion may leave players unsatisfied until Saints Row 4.

Saints Row has already gone from crime drama satire to acquiring superpowers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9221-Saints-Row-The-Third-Review] to do battle with aliens in an upcoming expansion. Unfortunately, those hoping to play Enter the Dominatrix by itself are out of luck. The good news is that the content will show up in 2013 as a part of Saints Row 4, but the bad news is, well, that the content will show up in 2013 as part of Saints Row 4.

Jason Rubin, the new president of THQ, was generally pleased with Saints Row: The Third (especially considering that it's one of the few properties keeping the ailing company afloat), but believed that the series could reach a Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim level of quality. Rubin suggested that Saints Row 4 would present "a full-priced, full-length, high quality, connected experience," and wanted the Enter the Dominatrix content to be part of that package. According to the president, Volition has big plans for the content, and he would rather see it fully fleshed out and part of a larger experience than relegated to a one-shot, standalone expansion.

Before denouncing it, keep in mind that this move actually involves considerable risk on Rubin's part. Analysts estimate that Enter The Dominatrix's delay will cost THQ $20 million during the 2013 fiscal year, so the company is betting a lot on Saints Row 4 meeting Rubin's lofty expectations for both quality and resultant sales. From a consumer perspective, swapping a $30 expansion for a $60 game may seem like a bum deal, but if Saints Row 4 is as impressive as Rubin promises, the extra $30 will cover a ton of new, worthwhile content. Since the alien superhero brawl has been delayed, the Saints will have to content themselves fighting gang members with conventional weaponry in the meantime.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/saints-row-the-third-expansion-cancelled-6383429]

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Fuck me sideways. I was really looking forward to this. It would've been fun running around in tight leather beating up computer programs with a giant penis-bat.

Ah well. Here's hoping things work out for next year.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Sucks for the short term, rules in the long term.

I was actually worried about where Saint's Row could go after superhero in the sequel, I mean how can you escalate your ridiculousness any more. I guess someone else worried that, and has turned supersaints into a full sequel. Now they'll just have to worry about it in a years time.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
uh... saints row 3 was already short of content at launch, at least compared to saints row 2.

so now they are just going to be done with it, so they can just add this almost finished content to the next game... to what i think is, make it so they can finish it and pump it out sooner.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I guess that's one way to keep production costs down...I'm still not clear as to why it was "delayed".

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Judging by how how short The Third was, I'm assuming that this standard 30 dollar expansion will be sold pretty much as is for 60 bucks sometime next year.

Although who knows, maybe SR4 will re-capture the magic of 2.

Though to be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing the concept of Enter The Dominatrix, the Saints with super powers, expanded and fleshed out into a proper, full game. The series already has you playing as what's essentially a super villain, might as well actually add the "super" part and go all the way. Perhaps this could end up working out.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd say this is a good thing. More focus on making a big, full game for $60 rather than a much smaller game for $60 and craploads of DLC.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
More than two skins and a gun? Haha! That's too much content for a DLC, better not do it.

Seriously, I enjoyed SR3, it just needed a much more cohesive and consistent story. If they combine the over the top toys in 3 with the structure of 2 it will be glorious. And also, don't leave out replayable missions for fucks sake Volition.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Saints Row the Third was disappointing for me, and made me glad I picked it and the three major DLC packs up for $25 total on Steam. Some of it had improved from 2 but the biggest let down was the scaling back of the customization. A big part of 2 was mixing and matching the various clothes on my character to get just the right look for him. This game just didn't have it, everything came prepacked and pre-layerd. All the safehouses were made boring and ultimately pointless. There was no upgrading their looks, or having things like the weapons, clothing, and money placed in them separately. Instead you just walked in and opened up a menu that blasted rap music at you while you were trying to think. It just felt like they took out a big piece of what made 2 amazing without putting something else in to fill the void.

Also the like 15 different clothing pack DLCs was bullshit, but the icing on the cake was selling a DLC pack of cheats. I think there's a balance to be had, but they definitely went overkill with this one.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
the Saints will have to content themselves fighting gang members with conventional weaponry in the meantime.
What? That makes little sense. They barely have any conventional weaponry in the most recent title. Farts in a jar, apocafists, full-auto sniper rifles, Tron-inspired guns, and pimp-cane shotguns aren't exactly found in Call of Duty or Battlefield, both praised for the dedication to conventional weaponry. But, I see what you're saying.

Though, why they feel the need to tease us like this is silly. Give us a Saint's Flow like substance again, make it happen more than once, and give us the powerhouse narrative structure from the second game, and we'll be happy. You know, as long as you give us plenty, and I mean plenty, of ways to customize our batshit insane leader of the Saints, and try and give us full sliders again, letting us choose more options, like formal wear, unbuttoned, with a bow tie, untied.

Whatever. I look forward to Saints Row 4 next year. Maybe they'll take it back to serious, and it will just go in cycles.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
uh... saints row 3 was already short of content at launch, at least compared to saints row 2.
That's because they hadn't figured out how to properly monetise content and charge for clothing options and other items crammed on to the disc.

Honestly, their lack of commitment to SR3 makes it even less likely I'll touch SR4.

nikki191 said:
[will they even existin a year to publish SR4?
Not with stunts like this.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Release $30 DLC -> Get complaints
Roll $30 DLC into sequel and release both for the same price you would have released sequel for anyway -> Get complaints

No winning move.

While I'd like to play it nowish, i'm fine waiting a year and paying $60 instead of paying $90 overall.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
If they don't try and fix the shit they fucked up in this game, I'll be pissed. Hanging plot threads from 2, killing off a major fucking character, possibly more...this game just rubbed me the wrooooong way...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Isn't there ALREADY an open world game like that?

O, that's right, Crackdown.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I've still not bothered getting SR3. I don't see the point. THey're only going to release some kind of complete edition within a year that includes all the DLC for the same price as the original vanilla game.

I've just checked, on steam right now it would cost me just shy of £80 to get the game and all DLC. Fuck that, I can wait.