Enter the Dominatrix Pulls Out of Saints Row: The Third

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I wish I could wipe my mind clear of SR3, while it was okay, whenever I thought about SR2 I got severely depressed. (Okay not really) SR2 was WAY better than SR3. SR3 was just sad

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Hm, colour me interested. Not sure super powers fit, but hey, I already fought in cyber space. I'm kinda liking where Saints Row is going, I have enough grit and seriousness in GTA and the likes, when I want to bash people around with a dildo bat, wearing slippers and a gimp suit I play Saints Row.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
"Appeal to a wider demographic! Take out all that 'humor' stuff, people want their games to be serious. It's hard for people to make fanfics about characters if they have anything resembling personalities, take those out! You don't really need all those potentially offensive jokes, do you. Writers? What are those things? We need a billion unconnected missions with absolutely no consequences that depend either upon completing them or how you complete them! Also, fire volition: they're too talented to make something like Skyrim," -- How I imagine the meeting goes to 'make Saints Row more like Skyrim'

[Haven't played RDR because those bastards never made a PC version, though I believe most of those criticisms apply to it too. At least they had the stones to set it in a different genre from fantasy or the standard GTA imagining of the present.]

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
Elate said:
Hm, colour me interested. Not sure super powers fit, but hey, I already fought in cyber space. I'm kinda liking where Saints Row is going, I have enough grit and seriousness in GTA and the likes, when I want to bash people around with a dildo bat, wearing slippers and a gimp suit I play Saints Row.
my words exactly

but also what i want added to Saints Row (The Forth?)

is that we can repeat any mission we want (There was some missions in Saints row 3 i wanted to repeat again and again at times).
Also i am sure i am not the only one on this but i want a ability to call a army of my gang to help me take on what ever wacky shit i face next (1 car full of 4 dudes is not enough).
Also more Factions and i want an better plot for these gangs this time (Because insert red/blue/green gang alliance is not as cool as 3 Gangs with distinct characteristics who are ether in an gang war with another gang or in an alliance with a other gang to fight the saints).

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm not sure what to think of this. If they just add a little bit more content to this expansion and call it SR4, then I won't buy it. I'd rather just pay $30 for the expansion. If the expansion is just one of many parts of the whole game, then this would save me the $30.
So I guess it's wait and see, although THQ might not have that much time left.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
If I had never played SR2 I'd probably think that SR3 was a pretty good game. Unfortunately I played the hell out of SR2 and thus my opinion of SR3 isn't so good. I can't think of a single thing that SR3 did better than SR2. Not a one. Hopefully THQ will still be around to redeem themselves with SR4 but I don't really see that happening ( "that" = them still being around to make it OR the game being any good; pick one).

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
It is my sincere hope that SR4 will bring back many of the lacking customization features not found in SR3.

I also would like to express my hopes that SR4 will, in general, revert back to its vastly superior installment, SR2, in other categories.

For one, the inclusion of more weapons. I was severely perturbed by the lack of desert eagle style handguns in the games roster.

In fact, that particular armament lends itself perfectly to an abstract comparison of SR2 and SR3.

SR2 was like a heavily modified 'blinged out' variation of the handgun in question, looking impractical and grandiose but still slightly feasible. A perfect gun or two for an eccentric crime lord. The gun looks unlikely but it's existence is not jolting and in stark contrast to the nature of the game.

SR3 is in many ways relative to the 'pong' gun from the game. It's existence was a blatant dismissal of any atmosphere or tone and was simply silly.

I am not implying that the game must become more serious. SR2 stuck a harmonic balance between what is 'realistic' and what is not. Much like the nature of magic in the Game of Thrones series. You know it is present, but it's existence does not manifest starkly as in most other series of the same subject.

In a way, the tone of SR2 reminded me quite a lot of that of the anime series Black Lagoon. Exaggerated characters and abilities in what is otherwise a rather normal existence, only serving to further the notion of there un-earthly abilities.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
-snip-

In a way, the tone of SR2 reminded me quite a lot of that of the anime series Black Lagoon. Exaggerated characters and abilities in what is otherwise a rather normal existence, only serving to further the notion of there un-earthly abilities.
THIS. Absolutely this.

So it appears THQ is putting ALL of its chips on the SR series, eh? As Pierce says in the last mission: "Good to know....."

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm a fan of Rubin but this concerns me. I don't mind skipping out on the expansion pack and reusing the content in the sequel, it could turn out either way depending on the quality. The biggest thing I'm latching onto is that it's gonna come out next year. That seems like far too little time to create "A full-priced, full-length, high quality, connected experience."

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Lethos said:
Please go back to more like SR2. SR3 was good, but it didn't have the charm that SR2 had.
With the number of people who have said something exactly like this I'm hoping they've heard and will go back to a game more like SR2.

I loved SR2 and SR3 both, but SR2 was so much better in terms of how it was set up and the story. SR3 was fun though for sure, the game mechanics were definitely better, but it felt like piece of the game was missing. If they took everything about SR2 and ran it with the physics and graphics engines from SR3 I'd be so happy.

Apr 5, 2008
I came very late to the Saint's Row party. I played SR3 only recently and am almost done with a second playthru in co-op (when my (quite literally) partner-in-crime comes online!). I had little idea what to expect from it, except a sandbox game and was immensely surprised. I bought it at a low price many months after release (don't even know when that was) but thoroughly enjoyed it. It's so well polished, such a wonderful world.

The shooting was done brilliantly, the cars....well I'm disappointed by the console-controls which are quite horrid on PC, but it's the crux of being a PC gamer in this day and age that most games are console ports (of varying quality). I liked the customisation options of our characters and the cars and only wish there was more of it. The story was silly and over the top but the whole thing was so tongue-in-cheek (Genki and Genkibowl activities summarise it perfectly) that it pulled it off brilliantly. Very impressed with such a great game that I didn't see coming and couldn't have said I'd enjoy so much.

I'm disappointed that this expansion won't be out anytime soon but after the fun I've had in Steelport, chances are I'll be getting SR4 so I'll get to see it then. I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy enjoy GTA4 very much, and stopped playing it after a few hours. The whole dating thing was just stupid and boring. SR3 took all the fun parts of a sandbox game and polished them till they shone, creating a wonderful whole. GTA series took a step away from fun with GTA4 I'm sad to say. Even San Andreas with the weight loss/gain and exercising...WTF??

Only criticisms of SR3...motorbikes are so dreadful to control they detract from playing the game. Not enough time was spent on the water with watercraft. More customisation options for clothes and cars (why not decals like Forza??). And with the TwC DLC, they gave us Saints Flo powers and took them away again....that was horrid :-( How could you tease us with something so incredibly awesome, then take it away again? :'''-(

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
OutcastBOS said:
If they don't try and fix the shit they fucked up in this game, I'll be pissed. Hanging plot threads from 2, killing off a major fucking character, possibly more...this game just rubbed me the wrooooong way...
Agreed, what the hell were they thinking with the whole Johnny thing? And what happened to Dex or Troy? Why kill off a beloved character but leave Pierce "the most annoying character" alive!?!

I love Saints Row 2, it's tounge in cheek enough but still has an engaging storyline.
Saints Row 3 threw the storyline out of the window and replaced it with a purple dildo!

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Paragon Fury said:
This just in: THQ to fully go out of business in 2013.
When they do, they'll do what they always do. Blame Pirates/Used Games/The Boogeyman

OT: I don't buy THQ because of their practices, and this just adds to the reason.
What the fuck did they do?

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
putowtin said:
OutcastBOS said:
If they don't try and fix the shit they fucked up in this game, I'll be pissed. Hanging plot threads from 2, killing off a major fucking character, possibly more...this game just rubbed me the wrooooong way...
Agreed, what the hell were they thinking with the whole Johnny thing? And what happened to Dex or Troy? Why kill off a beloved character but leave Pierce "the most annoying character" alive!?!

I love Saints Row 2, it's tounge in cheek enough but still has an engaging storyline.
Saints Row 3 threw the storyline out of the window and replaced it with a purple dildo!
Exactly. And not to mention that whole shit at the end of the game. Hell, what the fuck happened to Donnie? I'dve expected him to join the Saints by this time, but nooo, we get three clones of Oleg...

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
OutcastBOS said:
putowtin said:
OutcastBOS said:
snippy
Exactly. And not to mention that whole shit at the end of the game. Hell, what the fuck happened to Donnie? I'dve expected him to join the Saints by this time, but nooo, we get three clones of Oleg...
Ahh Donnie, back when this series made some sense!

And I'm sure that during the production of SR3 one of the development team said that the third game was the conclusion of the Saint's story.... we'll when you need the money I'm sure you'll drag things out long after their sell by date!

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
MiriaJiyuu said:
Lethos said:
Please go back to more like SR2. SR3 was good, but it didn't have the charm that SR2 had.
With the number of people who have said something exactly like this I'm hoping they've heard and will go back to a game more like SR2.

I loved SR2 and SR3 both, but SR2 was so much better in terms of how it was set up and the story. SR3 was fun though for sure, the game mechanics were definitely better, but it felt like piece of the game was missing. If they took everything about SR2 and ran it with the physics and graphics engines from SR3 I'd be so happy.
I think it's a combination of what Yahtzee said (that the wackiness in SR2 stood out more so was therefore more funny), and the fact that Steelport seemed a bit dead compared to Stillwater. I'm glad they tried somewhere new because being in the same city for 3 games would be a bit repetitive, but Steelsport seemed much less alive than Steelwater.

I agree with keeping the same formula; updating the engines. I still play SR2 sometimes and it's become much more apparent to me that it's not a very pretty game.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
There definitely is a risk to a move like this, but I have to think, with all the DLC that's already been done for 3, it is pretty much time to orient all focus to 4.
RatRace123 said:
Judging by how how short The Third was, I'm assuming that this standard 30 dollar expansion will be sold pretty much as is for 60 bucks sometime next year.

Although who knows, maybe SR4 will re-capture the magic of 2.

Though to be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing the concept of Enter The Dominatrix, the Saints with super powers, expanded and fleshed out into a proper, full game. The series already has you playing as what's essentially a super villain, might as well actually add the "super" part and go all the way. Perhaps this could end up working out.
I never looked at it that way. Saints Row is a plausible end to what happens when the supervillains dominate.
I think it is high time a superhero(ine) was introduced for us to beat down.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
fighting gang members with conventional weaponry in the meantime.
**looks at my Saint's arsenal - Flying Motorcycle, Futuristic Jumpjets that shoots Lasers, Futuristic Tanks that shoots Lasers, Strange 8-Bit Tank, a giant Hammer that shoots electricity, and a giant man who punches tanks to death**

Conventional Weaponry. Ha. Good one.

OT: This is how I experienced this article:

They're making a Saints Row 3 expansion?!

... it's canceled.

They're making Saint's Row 4 for 2013?!

... conventional weapons...?

/GotoTop

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
but believed that the series could reach a Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim level of quality
wat

Honestly, if there was a 'meter' to measure this, I'd see these games on opposite sides of the spectrum.