Enter the Zeebo

Feb 13, 2008
Enter the Zeebo

In this saturated market is there room for another console? Zeebo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebo] thinks there is.

For most of us, the unholy triumvirate of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will provide all of our gaming needs, but outside of the US / UK / Japan, things are a lot more complex.

Countries like Brazil, India, Mexico, Russia and China don't have the infrastructure that most of us take for granted, and piracy is often actively encouraged; which would make the big three nervous to attempt to claw a market out.

As we first reported back in November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87448-New-Gaming-Console-To-Hit-Brazil], one company to try for this emerging middle class market is Zeebo. Its founder, Reinaldo Normand, explains "When it comes to traditional consoles, even if you ignore the cost of importing them, the price of the games is massive. That's the reason piracy is such a big problem in these countries. It's the only way people can afford to buy games."

While Australia may be wincing at the high cost and slow speed of release, places like Russia are looking at $100 for just a basic game, and this is where Zeebo thinks it can score big.

The Zeebo itself is the brainchild of Mike Yuen and Reinaldo Normand, and is formed from off-the-shelf components and pre-built software normally used in mobile phones. The resultant Frankenstein's console avoids Sony's mammoth costs while still having a system that's easy to write for. And with EA, Capcom, THQ, Activision, PopCap, Gameloft and Digital Chocolate realizing the viability of re-releasing to a new console, especially one that has a potential userbase of billions, this could be a very big business.

As for price, the Zeebo is expected to retail at $199 in Brazil, which compares very favorably to the PS 2 (no typo there) which retails at $300. (If you add the $50 you'd need to have it chipped to play games) And the PS 2 doesn't come with FIFA 09, Action Hero 3D and Brain Age preloaded; with Prey, Quake and Need for Speed Carbon being downloadable for free.

As for the software pirates, they may cackle at selling a $100 game for $10, but the Zeebo's price of $12 a game may sink that particular treasure galleon.

Another benefit is a new market for Indie games. With PopCap holding a tight rein on the casual market, where starting programmers used to grow, this new market could prove to be a fertile ground for up and coming programmers, as well as programmers who want to develop away from the main "fragfest" audience.

Sound farfetched? Well, it's due to be released in Rio De Janiero in late May, before sweeping across the rest of Brazil. Mexico looks set to receive it in the Autumn, and if things go to plan, 2010 will see the rest of Latin America and India.

Mike Yuen explains Zeebo's vast vision, "In Latin America, where there's a strong gaming culture, that's what we'll be, but in India and China we can be more educational or lifestyle-oriented. Localised content means more to us than just language."

Maybe soon there will be a fourth member of the console wars, with The Escapist bringing them into the fold.

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/features/playing-to-new-nations]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I think this might well take off. In places where the costs are so high, people will be looking for an alternative and this could well fill the gap. It will be interesting to see how it does.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Good for them. I think that they may have a shot. I wish Zeebo best of luck. There are people who just don't have access to all the gaming technology that we take for granted.

Maybe Bono and Bob Geldof should organise a charity concert to bring Quake to the less fortunate.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
The only constant in the video game market since the mid 80s 'till now has been Nintendo. I wish they'd remember that next time they openly disregard the people that paid for them to do so.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Quite a wise idea. Northern Hemispgere consoles just aren't made for South AMerica and Asia, mainly due to the companies not seeing as much return for their effort. A console for these countries especially is hopefully a wise decision.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
On a purely aesthetic level, I don't like the console design, logo design or pad design. Doubly so on the ergonomics level for the pad.

Otherwise, I wish them the best of luck in the second-world markets where the big names are extortionately priced.

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Good for them. I think that they may have a shot. I wish Zeebo best of luck. There are people who just don't have access to all the gaming technology that we take for granted.

Maybe Bono and Bob Geldof should organise a charity concert to bring Quake to the less fortunate.
technology? thats not the problem! the cost! thats the real problem a ps3 game here its in 112 U.s.d. and that thing... looks ugly as hell

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Seems like a pretty cool idea. I also wish them the best. Maybe they can show the big 3 that things are possible if you make your product available to everyone at a decent price. I didn't see on the wiki page, but will this thing have online capabilities?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
It looks like the bastard child of a Playstation 2 and a Wii, looks to run about as well as one too.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
This is destined to go the same way as the Gizmondo did.

I suppose it'll work in countries where Ps2 games are considered "High Tech"

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Oh, fucked up import policies and backward markets, I weep for thee. That thing doesn't look to me anywhere near as much a Wii as a lead balloon. Seriously, just assuming you can dodge the hostile market forces that keep well-known consoles out of some areas is begging for failure. The big thing is that it's not really a console so much as a portable the size of a console. They may sell some units, but nobody but PopCap is going to expect serious returns from this and it'll be avoided by the mainstream like the plague.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
This looks like an interesting concept, certainly worth keeping an eye on, especially as they seem to take their system seriously, unlike other non big three consoles that have come out recently.