Epic: Bulletstorm "Didn't Make Money For Us"

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
I thought bulletstorm was a svery refreshing game in an oversaturated market, this article saddens me

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
For.I.Am.Mad said:
'You scared the dick off of me.' didn't help sales? Wow.
I heard the dick jokes were bad, but this? Do they get money every time they say that word? If so, can I get in on this?

OT: I'm told it didn't have competive multiplayer. For an FPS game, that's not a good thing Never mind. My computer ate the rest of my post on this. And I don't feel like typing it again.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
DFish said:
I walked into a shop on release day, specifically to buy Bulletstorm.

I saw "Games for Windows Live" on the box.

I left without buying it.

Every game with GfWL attached has been a complete disaster for me *beacuse* of GfWL, and I'm now boycotting it completely.
Yeah. I am of the same mind. That and it is in a verrrry crowded field.

{Analogy go!}

Have these companies ever heard of a stripped gold mine? Not worth much unless it is a super fund site. Then it costs a fortune. (AKA: too many pigs at the shooter trough)

{/Analogy}

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Games for Windows Live lost it two sales from my household, I can say that much.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The game was bad. It wasn't crude in that wink and a smile, duke nukem kind of way. Nor was it over the top enough to hold a "this is just crazy and hilarious", serious sam kind of flavour.

It took itself way too seriously for something way too stupid. The characters were terrible and what parts of the story that weren't entirely throw-away were so haphazardly thrown together I barely had any god damn idea what was going on, why I was doing things or why I should have cared at all.

When your game simply amounts to "lol I shot that guy in the dick" or "haha, he said shit and that's a dirty word." you really shouldn't expect strong sales. To top it all off, they billed the combat as a fresh and exciting "arcade style crazy shooty killy fun kick time" or what have you. But to be honest, I was bored playing through it. I was dead bored.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I bought it and traded it in after a month or so. The mulitplayer was completely broken and they never got round to fixing it.

Ive given up on Epic bulletstorm was okay and the Gears of War are getting worse. Theres enough games coming out this year to keep me busy, Dark Souls Deus Ex and Skyrim most likely

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
What a shame. And leaving it on a semi cliffhanger.

I can only hope a sequel is eventually made sometime in the future. I want to hear more Serrano.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Honestly I think the main reason it didn't sell was because of how short it is. When games cost £40, people are going to want to get as much value out of it as they can. If they can finish the game in 6 hours, they're going to want to try to recoup as much of that cost as possible. So they all traded the game in in droves, meaning the stores were full of preowned copies for everyone else to buy, essentially not giving any more sales to the developers.

How to fix this? Either make games cheaper, or make them longer. Or preferably both. Make them actually worth their value, and more of them will get sold. It's pretty simple.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
DFish said:
I walked into a shop on release day, specifically to buy Bulletstorm.

I saw "Games for Windows Live" on the box.

I left without buying it.

Every game with GfWL attached has been a complete disaster for me *beacuse* of GfWL, and I'm now boycotting it completely.
It has GfWL?

OK i'm not getting it either... Sorry PCF, I like your stuff but loose the shovelware please.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
rhizhim said:
i really do not understand whats the problem with games for windows live.
can someone be so kind as to explain/rant about it?
Because using it is like this

1) Put in game disc

2) Enter serial key

3) This game requires Games For Windows Live! To be installed. Even though it's already installed, we're going to run the installer again to waste 3 minutes determining that GFWL doesn't need to be installed.

4) Launch game

5) Games for windows live pops up, blocking the intro movie

6) Please login!

7) Enter login

8) An update is required! I'm just going to download that for you, too bad if you don't want me to.

9) You know that update that took 5 minutes to get cause our servers suck? Yeah I need to restart the game for that.

10) Go to step 7, repeat at least 3 times.

11) Now that you've watched the unskippable intro 4 times, GFWL requires you to enter the serial key you already entered to install the damn game anyways. Please enter the key.

12) Key accepted, I'm just going to log you out for no damn reason.

13) Repeat step 7-9 again.

14) Okay, you can play now. Unless you want to play online, that would require decyphering our retarted email like invite system that flakes out all the time. Have fun!

Mr_Paisley

Dec 21, 2009
Probably mostly due to it's inability to stick out. Yes, if you PLAYED the game, you'd see the differences between it and games like CoD or Gears. But to actually get someone to BUY your game, you have to actually sell your game. On the outside, with out playing it, it looked like Gears with goofier characters. I wasn't sold :/

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Many of my friends were really hyping Bulletstorm before it came out, and you know what I told them?

I quote, "This game looks stupid, it probably won't be very good and I don't see it selling well," end quote. My god I need a crystal ball.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Unless you let the Painkiller guys actually do their thing don't even bother with another, accountants as much as they like to believe it can't actually make fun shooters, so let the experts do the job.