Epic Cancels Gears 3 Unlocks in Bulletstorm

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Epic Cancels Gears 3 Unlocks in Bulletstorm

The special Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296677477&sr=8-1] and other Epic games won't be unlocked after all.

Back in December, Unreal Tournament 3 [http://www.epicgames.com/] and the previous Gears games would trigger "special unlocks" in Gears of War 3. Specifics were never announced but hey, free bonus stuff is free bonus stuff.

Alas, it turns out that Cliffy spoke too soon. Joe Graf, the lead gameplay programmer on Gears 3, Tweeted [http://twitter.com/EpicCog/status/32604032971309056] last night that it can't be done for non-Gears games. "Turns out that we can't read the Bulletstorm, Shadow Complex, and UT3 achievements for unlocks in Gears3 afterall," he wrote. "Sorry about that all."

According to other cheevos [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=25522]" in the Gears series.

Gears of War 3 is currently slated to come out in the fall of this year, exclusively for the Xbox 360.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Good call if you ask me. Bulletstorm and Gears are two completely different franchises that have nothing to do with each other anyway. I'm cool with cross-installement unlocks and stuff in the same series of games, but I ain't seeing the point of this.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Sad to see it go, but its for the best.

Speaking of Gears 3 unlocks, I hope they do the same thing with Gears 2 and unlock previous multiplayer characters from the first Gears. Bring back Kim, the previous Carmines, Tai, Hoffman(might already be in it), Ramm, and Skorge.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
343 Industries and Microsoft had to use Halo Waypoint to get around these technical difficulties. Since Epic is not a Microsoft Company, I don't think they would create something like that for Epic.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
yeah it's good, I don't think it's a big deal

as long as the Beta is still a bonus for people interested (I'm considering pre-ordering it but idk)

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Another lol for Cliffy B. That guy is a joke but for some reason people still listen to what he says.

Jul 22, 2009
ultimateownage said:
See, if this was Steam it would have worked.
What an odd statement to make o_O

OT: I think it's a shame but I suppose it's more fair for those who are only interested in Gears of War and never bought Shadow Complex or won't buy Bulletstorm.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Oh you mean I won't lose out on stuff since I have no or little interest in other games? And instead get the stuff for playing the game I am playing. That would almost make me sad if it wasn't such a terrible idea in the first place. Feeling forced to by an unrelated product to get the whole experience in another is never a good idea.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Makes sense. Considering Bulletstorm is releasing on 3 platforms most sales will be not on 360 (PS3+PC will yield more). So better avoid confusion.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Well, that's fine. No biggie. I was gonna say that they could do like halo did and have some kind of waypoint-esque thing, but that's not really practical.

Alpha Maeko said:
I'm not getting Bullet Storm, anyway.
Thanks for that. Really adds to a topic about that game.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Here is a simple worka round. Make them in-game achievements and hae Gears 3 load from the Bulletstorm save file. Mass Effect 2 loaded ME1 saves, so why can't Gears load Bulletstorm saves?

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Thank god. I really don't wanna be penalised for not playing Bulletstorm, Shadow Complex and UT3. I'm sure they're good games and all but I can only afford so much and Gears 3 is one of the games at the top of my wishlist for 2011

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
Here is a simple worka round. Make them in-game achievements and hae Gears 3 load from the Bulletstorm save file. Mass Effect 2 loaded ME1 saves, so why can't Gears load Bulletstorm saves?
Apparently, since they're not in the same "Family" (Franchise)

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Ah well I was more worried they were cancelling the Beta invite, when I saw the title so I'm just happy thats not the case.

Also why the hell was SomeBritishDude prob'd for his post. Its not really offensive, its just taking the piss out of the quotable pieces of the ads