Epic EVE Online Battle Erupts Because of Missed Bill

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Why do I get the feeling that EVE is primarily dominated by Congressmen, CEO's and Wealthy Entrepreneurs who can afford the time, money, and excel tabs worth of dullful information to play such a 'game'

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Slash2x said:
Yep still do not give a shit about you anymore EVE... You can not hurt me again....
OT so these stories will soon be replaced with Star Citizen versions of the same thing. But with real skill in piloting and marksmanship...
Call me again when Star citizen stops putting a cap at 100 ships and allows a real player driven economy.

Kumagawa Misogi said:
That's not what happened one coalition attacked were the other coalition was storing most of there ships. That's why the losses are so high ( 23 N3 - 10 CFC Titan losses at 23:00 GMT )
Just a little update:
We are at nearly 50 titan kills: CFC 30 Kills / N3PL: 17 Kills

Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Why do I get the feeling that EVE is primarily dominated by Congressmen, CEO's and Wealthy Entrepreneurs who can afford the time, money, and excel tabs worth of dullful information to play such a 'game'
Because you dont understand Eve?

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Death by golden space dildo. (Look up the Avatar class titan to see what I mean.)

I guess that you guys are really working those new titan wreckage models. They still permanent in game wherever the titan died?

And on the excel tabs worth of stuff: I have never bothered with that. Mind you my main is ten years old now and I do a brisk business in everything from ammo to Titans. And business is booming! LOL

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Slash2x said:
Yep still do not give a shit about you anymore EVE... You can not hurt me again....
OT so these stories will soon be replaced with Star Citizen versions of the same thing. But with real skill in piloting and marksmanship...
Bitter much?

Also, Star Citizen is a completely different slice of cake. You will never see battles of the same scale, where thousands of players are fighting each other at the same time, because no server would be able to support such a thing. Star Citizen will be an exciting game but it won't replace Eve, no matter how much you wish it will. Both games can easily coexist in the market. Stop obsessing about how much you dislike Eve and start focusing instead on how much you're looking forward to the other game.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I love the epic stories with huge alliances and the stories of a thousand person battle where both sides fought for hours for victory but I've seen other people play it and honestly I'm not willing to play all the hours I'd have to just to maybe get the chance to participate in the fight, and even then I'm not the kind of person that'd be willing to spend a lot of real money on fake things so as far as I know I'd never be able to get the huge juggernaut ships that are the centerpiece of the battle, so I'm satisfied with just reading other peoples experiences.

Hope more things like this happen their always fun to read!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Well, that escalated quickly.

I have nothing else. I know I'm going to get low content for this, but I have never seen a more perfect situation.

This is what pisses me off about the low content rule. Sometimes, a joke can be better when it's short. But apparently jokes can never contribute to a serious conversation so I end up having to pad out my posts with things that seem like points but are really just there so I avoid being caught in banhammer crossfire. Comedy is hard, and I think it can add to a conversation. Greatly, it can add to a conversation. It can keep it from getting too serious to talk about. Even when it's something trivial like this. I don't play eve, so what else can I add? What can I do? Tell me, mods. Because some jokes are too short for that low content rule of yours and extending them would ruin the humor. I don't want to be suspended and banned for some jokes. I really don't. I like this community and discussions. But some discussions do have perfect jokes that are just too short for the low content rule.

What do I do, mods? What do I do? I want to make people laugh, but I don't want to get banned for making an attempt. What do I do?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Eve online:

The one game if have zero interest in playing at all, but love hearing story's like this about.

Makes it a little better to know people lost real money on it to

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
I love EvE stories. Shame I am not going to devote myself to the game for all those hours for those rare moments when it all goes down.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
Eve online:

The one game if have zero interest in playing at all, but love hearing story's like this about.

Makes it a little better to know people lost real money on it to
I actually wanted to get into it, but the gameplay was just sorta... dull to me. That, and all of your skill training seems to be done in real time. This is good for those who have to work, since they can log in once a day, and their skills will still level as they go to work, but the sheer amount of time required to get some of them...

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
A whole lot of people have the misconception that it takes forever and a half to be able to play EVE well. This is false. You can go out on your first day and pew pew things to your heart's desires. EVE is a sandbox. CCP put the sand in the box, but you're the one who has to play.
Also, this fight is still going on. See twitch feed http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh

Oh and the most recent kill count as of this edit is 92 titans

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Hawk eye1466 said:
I love the epic stories with huge alliances and the stories of a thousand person battle where both sides fought for hours for victory but I've seen other people play it and honestly I'm not willing to play all the hours I'd have to just to maybe get the chance to participate in the fight, and even then I'm not the kind of person that'd be willing to spend a lot of real money on fake things so as far as I know I'd never be able to get the huge juggernaut ships that are the centerpiece of the battle, so I'm satisfied with just reading other peoples experiences.

Hope more things like this happen their always fun to read!
The thing is the only money you really need to spend on eve is the subscription fee. The whole equating the isk to real money is just to add a sense of scale for funzies, thanks to the fact you can buy and sell subscription time with in-game currency (650 million isk = $20 or so: the price of 1 month of subscription).

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Love the stories but dont have the month to spend of boring gameplay to get there. I played WOW till till level 32 and it was a boring grind, some said it gets really good at level 50 and i cancelled right there. Im thinking MMOs are only fun if you have a bunch of your friends playing with you.
Yeah, and EVE looks a lot worse than WoW in terms of the "it only starts getting fun after..." aspect.

That said I think (some) MMOs have gotten a long way since WoW, mostly because the gameplay in WoW is kindof shit and the skinner box stuff ceases to be rewarding eventually. There are now action combat MMOs that satisfy the gameplay element in addition to more traditional "holy trinity" (WoW style) MMOs with vastly more tactical dungeon/raid fights, so much so that if you just play in unprepared pick up groups you'll get party wiped most of the time. So nowadays in good MMOs you'll actually have to apply hand-eye coordination or team micromanagement to win fights, which believe it or not goes a long way to make a game more interesting (this is coming from someone who also used to hate MMOs, but now tolerates them).

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I think CCP is going to need to work more on upgrading their servers. These kinds of battles seem to be happening with increasing frequency. Of course, if this battle goes on much longer I think the titan population of EVE will be down by 50% percent or more and so there won't be as many ships to cause this kind of stress for a little bit. Unless of course someone calls frigates only and they get half the galaxy to swarm a system.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
1 trillion ISK is just shy of 30 thousand USD so, there is much lost.
That's a lot of money. From what I've heard it sounds like it was all from one faction, too. Doubt they will be able to do much in the future, if they lost that much.
MinionJoe said:
Person in LoadingReadyRun chat just noted: EVE Online is boring as shit, but the news is amazing!

I think that sums up my feelings about the game quite nicely.

The Twitch battle coverage embedded above looks almost identical to what I saw over a half hour ago (because of time-dilation, I assume?), but the news coverage of the event is fascinating. :)
Agreed. But I do love the stories I hear from EVE. They are always epic tales of betrayal, double crosses, and giant battles. I don't think I'd want to play, but damn I do enjoy reading about events from the game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
thank you escapist for another autorunning video i had to scramble the search for to turn off. can you please stop doing that? if i want to see it i will click on a link, thank you.

Therumancer said:
That said, I find EVE kind of ridiculous, I've tried it a few times. Chances are if you got into EVE you probably wouldn't be involved in this kind of thing due to generally needing to be in the right place, at the right time, and part of the right alliance. What's more the bigger an alliance gets the more outright mercenary to it's members it becomes, what's more there is always a degree of paranoia among the leadership, thinking everyone is an infiltrator or whatever.

Not to mention that damage in EVE is a lot more lasting than in a lot of other MMOS, to some that is the appeal of course. That said, the trillions upon trillions of ISK being lost here are probably largely coming from low ranking corporate spear carriers, who are probably going to lose months worth of work for little or no gain whether they wind up winning or not.

I'll also say that last time I popped in, it seemed like there was a general proliferation of Titans, with people even selling (or claiming to be selling) them on open ship trading channels. At one point 20 Titans dying in a conflict would have been unheard of, heck there was a time when things like Battleships were kings of the spaceways, but now it's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if the death toll reaches 100 titans or more by the time this conflict is over assuming these alliances are that huge. The impressive thing (to me) about Titans was less the ships themselves but the huge time investment it takes to learn to fly them well. What this means is that apparently the alliances fighting have members who have been playing for years upon years.
definatelly not everyone enjoys or understands eve, nor everyone uis part or want to be part of this. i prefer smaller more friendly alliances myself.
Lasting damage is GOOD. you should be able to feel the damage done to you if you are bad at it and another factoin should be able to incur damage to their enemy. this is how wars are won - make your enemy run out of ships and run to highsec with tails down. everyone workds in alliances. the big guys got a lot more pressure than some grunt grinding rats.

Titans definatelly have gotten more popular and you can buy one if you want it. heck, i could even afford one. that does not mean loosing 20 titans isnt a hit. sure an alliance like that probably has 100+ titans in their ranks, but thats A LOT of firepower and - most importantly - ISK lost. what matters is that you do more damage to your enemy than they do to you, preferably in a 9:1 fashion. this is how you defeat the enemy - by making sure it runs out of weapons.
I started playing after battleships already existed, but i heard how they were gamechangers. I also remember when first titan was built and whne it also was lost. It still takes half a year to even begin entering titan territory and such pilots are definatelly sought after. you can replace a ship, you cant replace a pilot.

Slash2x said:
Doubtful. Unless SC actually runs a real player driven economy with no NPC oversight with actually conquerable things (reasons to fight for) and no cap of players on screen.

omega 616 said:
Can I get some scale please? "several trillion ISK" whats that? I know a trillion is a big number but how long does it take to make a million isk in a none "min/max" kind of way?

Whats a titan war ship? Does it take an ungodly amount of ISK to build?

1,000,000 yen is only £5,881 ... so a million yen sounds like a lot, till you work out what it actually equates to in your comprehension. So, if I play eve for an hour will I have 5 isk or 5,000?
Currently the safe and good way to earn isk is Incursion sites. there are more proftiable ways of course, and there are places in no security space you can get more rich or you cna get lucky, but we will take a stable good income source for this.
a GOOD player with ship that costs 5 billions can probably earn 100 millions an hour running incursions. more if they got a really good team. assuming no other players interferes. so a trillion isk would take somewhat like 10.000 hours of grinding. and mind you, you cant jsut send 1000 men to do that - not enough incursion sites, but thats another problem.
Mind you, this assumes you already got a pilot with fitting skills/ships and ability to grind without peopel you are at war with interfering, which is the "perfect world unrealistic scenario" deal. actual income varies a lot on what and how people do it. a more lucritive thing is trading but you really need to know what your doing or get really lucky (or in case of goons actually run enough mercenaries to affect game economy since its player driven).

titan warship is the largest warship in eve universe. it costs around 70 billion last i heard and takes literally months to construct.

Barbas said:
This is one of those games that looks like it would be considerably less fun to play than it is to observe. There is an impressive scale to it, which becomes particularly clear during the massive faction wars, but it doesn't seem to hook me in.
ironically, playing eve i can camp a gate for 2 hours and have fun with people in it, watching a person fighting PVP bores me.
I guess its the opposite for nonplayers.

stringtheory said:
worth around 5.5 billion isk so that would be around 8.5 plex,
didnt you mean to type 55 billion instead?\

the doom cannon said:
Oh and the most recent kill count as of this edit is 92 titans
Ok, would that be the official record now? i heard 60 titan loses before but 92 sounds like a record.

dyre said:
Yeah, and EVE looks a lot worse than WoW in terms of the "it only starts getting fun after..." aspect.
This is false. because eve is not like WOW. you dont need to reach soem sort of barier to start having fun. there are many things you can do from day one for many different players to do. and you can reach the long term goals WHILE doing the shorn term fun if you chose to. Eve is made in such a way that it is YOU who make the choices, game doesnt tell you that "hey nwo you can fly a big ship you now must get one". its all about your choice.

in good MMOs you'll actually have to apply hand-eye coordination or team micromanagement to win fights, which believe it or not goes a long way to make a game more interesting
No team micromanagement will make you a definatel loser in eve. you can win against 3 times, heck 5 times as large force if you are good at tactics and they use blob warfare (a big blob of ships that are "Shoot anyone you like" deal). it may not be a twitch shooter but you need a lot of coordination to fly correctly (no, you dont just fly towards your enemy, thats making sure your enemy will hit every shot) and to turn on correct modules at correct time. sometimes as much as half a second delay to turn on the armor repairs module that sucks your capcitor dry may mean a life or death situation. thing is, you always have to guess is that half a second worth it in perspective of tactics.

Quazimofo said:
I think CCP is going to need to work more on upgrading their servers. These kinds of battles seem to be happening with increasing frequency. Of course, if this battle goes on much longer I think the titan population of EVE will be down by 50% percent or more and so there won't be as many ships to cause this kind of stress for a little bit. Unless of course someone calls frigates only and they get half the galaxy to swarm a system.
if the attackers notify CCP beforehand they actually turn on seperate server meant just to boost events like these. and they already have massive server farms that run a lot. its not easy to have 5000 players all at same time visibledoing stuff. no other MMO is capable of that.
i do wish titan population, or heck all ship population would be halved. that would definatelly boost the economy and while i dont build ships i build other things they will be using. and there still be ships unless pilots quit, just instead of titans the people will be flying battleships or dreadnaughs while waiting for new titan to be built.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
The subsequent fighting has apparently been pretty nasty with several trillion ISK worth of material lost. It has also, according to CCP's Ned Coker, resulted in the destruction of around 20 Titan warships "with more to come as the US timezone comes home from work."
This sounds like the plot of a mid-to-late-nineties science fiction film.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Strazdas said:
If you're getting auto-playing video ads (I assume you mean near the bottom of the page), I don't think that's meant to be happening. I was in the Tech Team chat the other day and FalloutJack mentioned it. I don't know who picks which ads are on the site, but it seemed like the staff weren't keen on that kind of ad either, because it's more annoying than simple banner ads in the margins. If you drop them a line there, they'll probably get rid of it. They might ask you to fill out one of these with screenshots:

(link didn't work, it should be in the grey at the bottom-left of the page):

Basically, you're not alone! :)

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Strazdas said:
stringtheory said:
worth around 5.5 billion isk so that would be around 8.5 plex,
didnt you mean to type 55 billion instead?
The site I got the info from said the cost was only 5.5 isk, but that must be the cost for some other ship. Another article says that titans are around 140 billion isk. The 70 billion isk per titan is from threads from 2009-2011, so I don't doubt that the cost has gone up.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I actually think the Goons might have won EVE. Thing about it, their only opposition are going to have lost 60+ Titans in this fight, and sure that can be replaced, but it can't be replaced instantly and even if it could it wouldn't be enough. How can N3/PL commit to any escalation in the next 2 months when it could turn into this again?

If they do it right, the CFC and RUS will drive home the advantage and take all the sov they can touch, escalating every single fight if N3/PL dare fight back. So N3/PL are either crushed or they don't fight back, which is going to crush their morale and potentially even trigger a fail cascade in N3 (and PL aren't going to get to pretend to be top dogs for a while).

So N3 loses all their sov, the CFC let RUS 'have' it and then wait a couple of months for RUS to dissolve into petty bickering and rivalry. They trigger another proxy war and clean up half of RUS... and then after that I genuinely think they can tell the world that they're going to conquer EVE and there won't be enough opposition to stop them.

And CFC diplos are good, every alliance is going to hear the whispers of 'turn blue or never own space again'.

--------------------------------

Sure after that they're going to have to dissolve the CFC or else die by their own success (my favourite idea would be if Goons declared war on the rest of the CFC), but what does that matter? They'd have accomplished one of the greatest achievements in gaming history

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
BrotherRool said:
and then their empire will fall apart from being too scattered around and unable to defend everything at the same time! Should be a very interesting time in EVE nullsec. Thankfully I live in a wormhole.