Epic Explains Gears 3 Historical Unlocks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

Achievements are the key to getting free stuff, says Gears of War 3's [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309261444&sr=8-1] executive producer.

Epic has revealed some of what long-time fans of the Gears of War series can expect to see in Gears 3 as a reward for their dedication, as well as how the game will distribute rewards. Epic's Cliff Bleszinski announced these rewards last year on Twitter.

The game will root around through your gamertag looking for achievements from previous Gears games, and then dole out rewards based on your past deeds. Gears 3 executive producer Rod Fergusson, said that achievements were the easiest way to track what a player had done in past games. This meant that it wasn't a case of reaching level 100 in the Gears of War, it was a case of reaching level 100 and winning a match on the Snowblind DLC pack for Gears 2, thus earning the "Veteran Gear" achievement. "Get that achievement and that'll get you something," he said. "You have to have the Veteran Gear achievement."

Fergusson said that he, and a few of his Epic co-workers, would be putting in some time with the first Gears of War in order to pick up the achievements they missed, particularly those for ranked multiplayer. He made it clear, however, that all of the unlocks will be purely cosmetic, and will not alter gameplay in any way. The majority of unlocks will be chrome weapon skins, although the gold Lancer and Hammerburst from the previous game will also make an appearance. Rather fittingly though, it seems that players can only have them in Gears 3 if they had them in Gears 2.

This isn't the first time that Epic has rewarded its fans of course; in Gears 2 you could unlock content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85287-Gears-of-War-2-Introduces-Linked-Achievements] based on your actions in the first Gears of War. The studio had even grander ambitions for Gears 3, with achievements from other Epic games like Bulletstorm and Shadow Complex unlocking content as well. Unfortunately, the cross-franchise unlocks had to be scrapped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107495-Epic-Cancels-Gears-3-Unlocks-in-Bulletstorm], after it came to light that reading the achievements for those games was pretty much impossible.

Gears of War 3 is scheduled for release for Xbox 360 on September 20th.

Source: MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/24/gears-of-war-3-unlocks-for-playing-past-gears-games-detailed-by-epic/]

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Dammit, there are a fair few achievements I never got for either of them. Oh well, as long as it isn't some awesome Cole outfit, I'll be fine.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Meh....I'm gonna use my Golden Retro Lancer...I started to like the Retro Lancer after I had to kill 100 people with it xD

Sure, nothing beats a good chainsaw duel...but charging up someones...behind, and lifting them up and smashing down on the ground again...is satisfying ;)

OT* It's just skins for a weapon...as long as they don't charge you for weapon reskin, I don't care if you have to unlock it via achievements, be it from Gears 1 or 2.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
I won't be interested until I unlock C. Carmine wearing nothing but his helmet and a leopard skin thong.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Honestly, I think they just need to stop making online achievements for ranked games only.

I mean, i'm sorry but if this was a less popular game, nobody would be online for me to get them.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
SammiYin said:
I won't be interested until I unlock C. Carmine wearing nothing but his helmet and a leopard skin thong.
Prude. It's helmet and nothing, or nothing and like it.

If I have the achievements (I'm only missing Seriously 2.0 and Seriously 1.0/THIS. IS. ANNEX! from previous titles), I'll be rocking the Chrome weapons. I really liked the Chrome Hammerburst. Will have to show off my Golden weapons from time to time, though.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I love this idea, even if I likely won't be seeing any of it outside of screenshots. It would be nice if more developers did things like this to tie older games into newer ones, even if they aren't in the same series. I figured the sort of stuff we saw way back with Psycho Mantis would be the start of a trend (even if that exact moment was too 4th wall breaking for my tastes), but it never really went anywhere.

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
voorhees123 said:
Skins for weapons. How uninteresting. Would prefer new weapons....the game is played from behind the player so you dont see the weapon much anyway. I thought historical unlocks would be....historical. WW2 weaponary or clothing or trench coat and cowboy hat, something actully interesting.

Well considering when you "Zoom" with the weapon your character brings it to bear and your weapon is just under center screen and slightly to one side. Which gives a pretty good angle on the weapon.

That and Gears is intended to be a cover based shooter and generally when your character's behind cover your character has his back to it which gives you another good angle to see your weapon.

PuniPuniShosa

Sep 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:

The studio had even grander ambitions for Gears 3, with achievements from other Epic games like Bulletstorm and Shadow Complex unlocking content as well. Unfortunately, the cross-franchise unlocks had to be scrapped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107495-Epic-Cancels-Gears-3-Unlocks-in-Bulletstorm], after it came to light that reading the achievements for those games was pretty much impossible.
Lame. If Psycho Mantis can read my memory card to find my Castlevania:SotN and Suikoden saves, I am not entirely sure of the problem. It's not like they don't have the data codes for those games.

Samson5090

Jul 15, 2009
voorhees123 said:
Skins for weapons. How uninteresting. Would prefer new weapons....the game is played from behind the player so you dont see the weapon much anyway. I thought historical unlocks would be....historical. WW2 weaponary or clothing or trench coat and cowboy hat, something actully interesting.
Gears isn't set on earth so they probably didn't have a world war 2, diffrent clothing would be cool though...so long as they don't make it paid DLC...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
dogstile said:
Honestly, I think they just need to stop making online achievements for ranked games only.

I mean, i'm sorry but if this was a less popular game, nobody would be online for me to get them.
I would go one step further. I think all online achievements should be scrapped ala Modern Warfare. While I am not necessarily a big fan of Modern Warfare, I never had to worry about joining a ranked game finding people boosting for achievements and then get upset because I just want to play the game.

I think that Gears 2 did Seriously 2.0 correctly by allowing the kills to be earned anywhere.

PuniPuniShosa said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The studio had even grander ambitions for Gears 3, with achievements from other Epic games like Bulletstorm and Shadow Complex unlocking content as well. Unfortunately, the cross-franchise unlocks had to be scrapped, after it came to light that reading the achievements for those games was pretty much impossible.
Lame. If Psycho Mantis can read my memory card to find my Castlevania:SotN and Suikoden saves, I am not entirely sure of the problem. It's not like they don't have the data codes for those games.
I agree. I think this is just an excuse. I don't know why they would even bring that up. I know that its possible to read other games saves (The Hulk gave an achievement for something that required a game save from Iron Man on), and if they can check for achievements from the first Gears, surely they can check for others.

Oh well, we'll never know.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
halo3rulzer said:
Is it just me or does Dom look like Greyson Hunt from Bulletstorm...

Pretty close minus the massive mighty beard.

I loved playing the Online Multiplayer Ranked games and look forward to playing overall even with the achievements available. I hope that the midnight release party will be at Universal Citywalk.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
awesome. only 9,900 kills until i get the tottally 2.0 achievement! wonder what that will unlock

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Weapon skins? Fine I guess, if nothing monumental. I've already got my gold plated retro lancer ready to roll in retail so that's me sorted. Though if I load up Gears 3 multiplayer and find I can't go as Dizzy, I won't be happy.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I'm guessing we'll get a few extra characters for multiplayer too, like in Gears 2. Anthony Carmine, Ben Carmine, Minh, RAAM, Tai and maybe one or two others will likely only be available for people with the first 2 games. Hopefully I'll finally get something as a reward for all that time I spent getting the "Seriously..." achievement in Gears 1 too.