Epic Games Opens Japan Office

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Epic Games Opens Japan Office

The ever-expanding empire of Epic Games now extends to Japan as the company plans to open a satellite office there this week.

The headquarters of Epic Games is in Cary, North Carolina, but they also have offices in Provo, UT, Warsaw, Poland; Seoul, South Korea; and Shanghai, China. That list will now expand to Japan, as Epic announced today that it will be opening an office in Tokyo on April 15th. The office will offer licensing and technical support for the Unreal 3 engine to developers in Japan. CEO and founder of Epic, Tim Sweeney, will be on hand at the launch and make a statement. Epic employs around 100 people at their office in Cary, but it is unclear how large the Tokyo office will be.

"Japanese game developers are responsible for many of our favorite game experiences, and they've had such a huge influence on the team at Epic," said Mike Capps, President of Epic Games. He went on:

We've also been fortunate to share Unreal Engine 3 with some of the biggest developers in Japan, like Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, and Grasshopper Manufacture. So this step seemed natural -- by opening an office in Japan, we can provide on-the-ground support for our Japanese licensees.

But all that aside, Capps told us the real reason that his company is opening an office there. "The sushi in Tokyo really is that much better than every place else," he said. "And now I totally have an excuse to visit regularly."

Source: Triangle Business Journal [http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2010/04/12/daily25.html?ed=2010-04-13&ana=e_du_pap]

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
The results will be intresting that for sure.

The thing about sushi is probably true, sushi from Manchester tastes of crap....

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The DSM said:
The results will be intresting that for sure.

The thing about sushi is probably true, sushi from Manchester tastes of crap....
Bradford / Leeds Sushi not much better, lol.

Although, they seem to be making some good expansion moves, lets hope the profits reflect it! And the quality of games too

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
In Japan? Hopefully they won't somehow implement Japanese Culture or stuff like that. I half kid.

I just don't want to see the new Epic game coming out (forgot the name) to have some guy that looks like a Samurai or something like that.

OT: Good for Epic. Now I have more reason to go to Japan!

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
It'll be good to have some tech support right on the ground. I wonder how many people Epic Games are employing across all those different countries? And I wonder which ones (aside from the one in Carolina) actually make games.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wait... Epic shared the Unreal Engine with Squeenix? When did THAT happen?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I would like to point out that, "Japanese game developers are responsible for many of our favorite game experiences, and they've had such a huge influence on the team at Epic." So here we are bashing Japanese gaming, and the creator of one of the most revered western shooters of this generation is hugely influenced by them?

Do the math.

OT: This will be very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Greg Tito said:
But all that aside, Capps told us the real reason that his company is opening an office there. "The sushi in Tokyo really is that much better than every place else," he said. "And now I totally have an excuse to visit regularly."
Well yeah. Wouldn't you open an office in Japan for that very reason.

But couldn't this also be a great opportunity for Epic to maybe get a little more influence over in Japan. Maybe Gears could become more popular in Japan now.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Its good to see a developer expanding, and not having to close or layoff employees.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I would so open a business in Japan just so I could eat their sushi..

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Sylocat said:
Not sure about Squarenix, but Lost Odyssey was done in Unreal 3.

Nadiril

Dec 28, 2008
Sylocat said:
]

The last remnant by squeenix was made using the unreal 3 engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Remnant

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Their offices in cary are pretty sweet. Also it's only a few miles from my house. It's weird how so many devs are in NC. Kind of a weird place to be.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
soapyshooter said:
Their offices in cary are pretty sweet. Also it's only a few miles from my house. It's weird how so many devs are in NC. Kind of a weird place to be.
True dat. You are in Cary?

OT: To my knowledge, the Japan office is engine sales and support, at least for now. With the vibrant dev community in Japan, however, who knows? WHO KNOWS??

The sushi in Japan is awesome. If you ever find yourselves in Tokyo, go to Tsukiji fish market; it's unlike anything you've seen. Fishing boats come in, in the wee hours of the morning, the fish is auctioned off to local chefs and restaurants between 5:30am and 6:30am and the sushi restaurants just down the block open for breakfast at 7am. Omnomnomnom.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Andraste said:
soapyshooter said:
True dat. You are in Cary?
Currently I am in Greenville doing a internship but yes I am from Cary and will be there in May till start of college in August. The Escapist is located at Meridian Park in durham right? If im not mistaken.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
soapyshooter said:
The Escapist is located at Meridian Park in durham right? If im not mistaken.
>.>

<.<

STALKER!!!

I keed. Yes, Meridian Park in Durham.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Andraste said:
soapyshooter said:
The Escapist is located at Meridian Park in durham right? If im not mistaken.
>.>

<.<

STALKER!!!

I keed. Yes, Meridian Park in Durham.
OH EM GEE! My dad's work is literally 5 minutes away from you guys. Thanks to the completion of 540 which took about the same time as the 'effing great wall of china to complete.