Epic Games Shuts Down Impossible Studios

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Epic Games Shuts Down Impossible Studios

Infinity Blade: Dungeons is on hold until its future is decided.

Impossible Studios, the developer formed under Epic Games and made up of former Big Huge Games employees, has been shut down. Epic founder Tim Sweeney announced the news earlier today [http://epicgames.com/community/2013/02/a-message-from-tim-sweeney/], stating that although it was "a bold initiative and the Impossible folks made a gallant effort," it just "wasn't working out for Epic." The former employees of Impossible Games have been given three months' severance and the right to use the studio's name and logo if they want to reform.

Additionally, Infinity Blade: Dungeons, the follow-up to 2010 iOS hit Infinity Blade, has been placed on hold as Epic "figure out the future of the project." Impossible Studios has been working on Dungeons since its formation last summer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118971-Epic-Games-Reforms-Studio-from-Ashes-of-Amalur]. At the time, Epic Games planned for Infinity Blade: Dungeons to be released by the end of 2012.

Impossible Games was formed in the wake of the 38 Studios debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119856-38-Studios-Goes-On-the-Block-in-October]; Big Huge Games had been acquired by 38 Studios to make Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and shut down a few months after shipping the action RPG. It's a shame to see the developers without a studio once again; best of luck to those involved.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/3968500/epic-impossible-studios-closed-infinity-blade-dungeons-delay]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Never heard of them, but I imagine people are going to be pissed.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
These guys really cannot catch a break, can they?

Hopefully they get back on their feet soon enough, Kingdoms Of Amalur was a fun game.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
erttheking said:
Never heard of them, but I imagine people are going to be pissed.
I wouldn't think they'd be to much pissed, at least Epic tried to help, and they are getting 3 months severance. After 38 studios fall they didn't have a job or severance.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
As someone in college to be a game dev I sorely hope this never has to happen to me. I wish the best of luck to everyone at the studio and hope they are able to get back on their feet as quick as possible.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wow, I doubt it is, but is this the first case of a newly formed game studio shutting down before they even get their first game out the door? I realize it happens all the time for little start-up and independent studios, but I've never heard of it happening to a studio attached to a name like Epic.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Wow, I doubt it is, but is this the first case of a newly formed game studio shutting down before they even get their first game out the door? I realize it happens all the time for little start-up and independent studios, but I've never heard of it happening to a studio attached to a name like Epic.
Big huge games have been around since 2000. They had a big hit with Rise of nations in 03 but its been down hill ever since. They got bought by THQ who then sold them about a year later to 38 studios. The guy who sold the company to THQ went to work for Zynga. Basically big huge games are the Jonahs of the gaming industry.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
You can't shut down Impossible studios!

That's impossible!

[small]You know what's not impossible is them making successful games[/small]

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure these guys are just tired of the industry but I do hope that they take the name Epic is giving them and make it their own. Maybe do a small indie game or something, anything to get them back on their feet.

At least they weren't treated badly this time around and got some pay with it. This industry can be cruel.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Ashhearth said:
As someone in college to be a game dev I sorely hope this never has to happen to me. I wish the best of luck to everyone at the studio and hope they are able to get back on their feet as quick as possible.
I'm working on a programming degree; I feel the same way. Chances are it will happen to us at some point; it's just how the industry works right now.

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
These are hard times, I hope they already had jobs lined up and they had time to prepare resumes.

Ashhearth

May 26, 2009
Artemis923 said:
Ashhearth said:
I'm working on a programming degree; I feel the same way. Chances are it will happen to us at some point; it's just how the industry works right now.
Yeah :/ but as long as you are known for doing quality work then getting a job again should be possible.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i guess naming your studio impossible games just makes fate want to kick you in the ass
always a shame to see more companys closing but maby with somany games devs out there
we can see some come together to form a new studio

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Maybe this would be a good time to go indie. They've got a successful game under their belts; they could run a kickstarter and look at getting going that way.