Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two Hands On

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
jamesslater said:
SextusMaximus said:
Anyone notice the ears on Mickey are COMPLETELY out of place in the picture here?
Mickey Mouse's ears are always shown facing forward, it's part of his character design.

I'm cautiously excited about the idea of a videogame musical, given that music and gaming "play" together so well.
What a terrible character design.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
esperandote said:
Who the hell is Oswald (I'm guessing the other mouse in the picture)
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was Walt Disney's first True Cartoon Masterpiece. Having failed with his independent Studio, and with his Alice Comedies running out, Disney pitched the Character to Universal Studios, who agreed to take it and put Charles Mintz as their head. Disney, along with Ub Iwerks, worked hard on many Oswald Cartoons, along with a number of other Animators. Sadly, Universal wanted to remove Disney, so at first, they kept replacing animators, making them hard to create. The Oswald Cartoons were actually decent quality (Despite a Small Budget), and they actually were among the first Cartoons to have plot (Though they were still kind of vague about them). Disney tried to get a bigger budget for the Oswald Cartoons, telling Mintz he could make them better. Then Mintz told Disney that not only was his budget being reduced, but Disney was being fired, he could not take his character away because it was legally owned by Universal, and that they were gonna keep most of the animators Disney had worked with (All but 3 Stayed with Universal). Disney was Devastated, but by the time he had left, he and Iwerks had come up with Mickey Mouse, and they decided to form a new company; The Walt Disney Company.

Mintz formed his own company to produce Oswald Cartoons, but since he had no idea what he was doing, he basically screwed over Oswald by making him more Animal Like, giving him many many voices, and making him a much more calmer person then he was. He couldn't beat Mickey, and by the 40's, Oswald was abandoned by Universal. It wasn't until 2006 that Disney bought Oswald back from NBC.

OT: Looks great! Can't wait to get it!

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
esperandote said:
Who the hell is Oswald (I'm guessing the other mouse in the picture)
Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was Walt Disney's first True Cartoon Masterpiece. Having failed with his independent Studio, and with his Alice Comedies running out, Disney pitched the Character to Universal Studios, who agreed to take it and put Charles Mintz as their head. Disney, along with Ub Iwerks, worked hard on many Oswald Cartoons, along with a number of other Animators. Sadly, Universal wanted to remove Disney, so at first, they kept replacing animators, making them hard to create. The Oswald Cartoons were actually decent quality (Despite a Small Budget), and they actually were among the first Cartoons to have plot (Though they were still kind of vague about them). Disney tried to get a bigger budget for the Oswald Cartoons, telling Mintz he could make them better. Then Mintz told Disney that not only was his budget being reduced, but Disney was being fired, he could not take his character away because it was legally owned by Universal, and that they were gonna keep most of the animators Disney had worked with (All but 3 Stayed with Universal). Disney was Devastated, but by the time he had left, he and Iwerks had come up with Mickey Mouse, and they decided to form a new company; The Walt Disney Company.

Mintz formed his own company to produce Oswald Cartoons, but since he had no idea what he was doing, he basically screwed over Oswald by making him more Animal Like, giving him many many voices, and making him a much more calmer person then he was. He couldn't beat Mickey, and by the 40's, Oswald was abandoned by Universal. It wasn't until 2006 that Disney bought Oswald back from NBC.

OT: Looks great! Can't wait to get it!
Wow, great piece of history. thanks.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
How does this logic pattern happen in anyone's head????

Game #1 comes out and is a huge flop. The basic premise doesn't strike ANY demographic as interesting or cool and the "innovative" gameplay is actually stale and/or too difficult to control.

LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
TomLikesGuitar said:

Game #1 comes out and is a huge flop. The basic premise doesn't strike ANY demographic as interesting or cool and the "innovative" gameplay is actually stale and/or too difficult to control.

LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE.
"I just painted that fence. It went pretty well, but I messed up in a couple of places. However, that doesn't mean that the entire concept of painting fences needs to be written off forever. Now I know where I went wrong, I can give it another shot, with a greater awareness of where problems might occur and how I can fix them."

Doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
random_bars said:
TomLikesGuitar said:

LET'S MAKE ANOTHER ONE.
"I just painted that fence. It went pretty well, but I messed up in a couple of places. However, that doesn't mean that the entire concept of painting fences needs to be written off forever. Now I know where I went wrong, I can give it another shot, with a greater awareness of where problems might occur and how I can fix them."

Doesn't sound too crazy to me.
The question is, however, whether they will change any of these points given before. Especially the demographic part, which is still a bit hard to define for me. Maybe it will be cool when turned into "that's what you will play with your non-player girlfriend when you have that little free time in between~" or something.

Also a little @ Steampunk Mickey..
Childhood-burning level [http://cf.shacknews.com/images/sshots/Screenshot/12496/12496_4a70628ad775f.jpg] nightmare fuel [http://cf.shacknews.com/images/sshots/Screenshot/12496/12496_4a7060f2b7ed5.jpg], at least for me.

Kirex

Jun 24, 2011
TomLikesGuitar said:

Game #1 comes out and is a huge flop.
Except it wasn't, as it says right in the article.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Adecristo said:
Also a little @ Steampunk Mickey..
Childhood-burning level [http://cf.shacknews.com/images/sshots/Screenshot/12496/12496_4a70628ad775f.jpg] nightmare fuel [http://cf.shacknews.com/images/sshots/Screenshot/12496/12496_4a7060f2b7ed5.jpg], at least for me.
This is how they showed off the first game, by making it look like it was a mickey game for a mature audience. This got us 20-somethings insanely interested in it. What we actually got, however, was something that a 5 year old could play and not even get scared.

Kirex said:
Except it wasn't, as it says right in the article.
Did you play it? The first game blew... hard. This second one will probably blow too. Even if it doesn't, chances are it wont sell well because of how they fucked up marketing the first one.

If you're gonna make a kids game, make a kids game. If you're gonna make a game for adults, don't warp the concept so that it'll be safe for children.

Kirex

Jun 24, 2011
TomLikesGuitar said:
Did you play it? The first game blew... hard. This second one will probably blow too. Even if it doesn't, chances are it wont sell well because of how they fucked up marketing the first one.
I actually didn't play it, so no, I can't really say if it sucks as hard as you say. The reviews I saw all said "meh" and not "atrocious", but it sold well, and professional criticism sometimes doesn't mean anything to the public. Just look at badly received movies that still do very well and even dish out sequels. I really wouldn't say that this will flop guaranteed.