Epic: Photo-Realistic Graphics Will Exist Within Ten Years

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
00DUMB said:
$5 says they still won't be able to replicate human eyes. Those damn eyes, curse them. I'd pay a pretty penny for that level of detail, though. Maybe a new line of dedicated eye cards to complement discrete graphics and physics?
This. I don't believe they're ever going to animate/capture fluid and natural eye movement. No game or animation I've seen has truly won me over with the eyes.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Ten years? Frankly I'd wager that that is a conservative estimate, we're coming up on it now in my opinion.
However, there are always going to be some niggling little things that make it possible for even a child too instantly differentiate between a CGI face and a real human face, even with photo-realism, as long as it's shown moving and not just a still image. The human eye can detect fakeness really well, it's actually one of the things we're hardwired for, seeing differences in people and objects quickly and efficiently. It's what helped us differentiate between us and them while we were still in our tribal phase of evolution.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I don't know really we are still in uncanny valley. So yeah we might be close but will we ever break out of uncanny valley.

That I Kinda accept that in games things are not hyper realistic. Because in the end it is about gameplay, story and other factors.

There are quite a few games that look great but I don't play because they don't attract me on other areas. It is like a blond bimbo really.. they put so much time on looking good that there is no further content to go with it.

And I love stylized graphics. Easier on the rendering leaving more space for the rest of the content. That No Ni Kuno game is awesome..

And really do we need another super realistic shooter.. in what the graphics are "realistic" but the gameplay is not. I mean..just hide behind this wall and your health will regenerate. Oh look at that we have a doggy... yeah

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Photorealism is meaningless, we need videorealism and that requires physics animated cloth, hair, muscles etc. Research will not solve the fundamental problems of physics based animation, it just takes incredible amounts of processing power, 10 years might be just enough to make it feasible for a single character demo ... but not a real game.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
the player in me doesn't care. The game tech enthousiast in me wants to see it NOW.

Admit it. Even if most of us don't actually care about graphics in our games long as the gameplay is good and even with the distaste for photorealism that's been growing for the last few years as more and more publishers have been abusing the concept and Crytec's been acting as if there was nothing more important in the world than photorealism, it's still bloody interesting. And I sure as hell want to play at least a few photorealistic games.

You can never stop Crytec from being dumb and saying dumb dumb things. Condemning the concept of photorealism in itself, however, is not going to help it. A lack of games striving for photorealism would make cartoony art styles the new status quo.

Diversity is a good thing. That's why I also think that Epic's approach (as in splitting the studio up and working on more projects with different scales and art styles) is a step in the right direction for the studio (Especially now that Cliffy B is gone. Say what you will about his looks, I do not like that man).

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Is it just me thinking a game with photorealistic graphics but without the AI or animation to match would make a really, really good horror game?

Imagine being in a world where everyone looks real but their movements are clunky and occasionally their arm will snap in the wrong direction and they don't speak or act the way they should...I think you could craft a pretty terrifying game out of that.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
You can make photorealistic looking games with today's tools. Well, atleast they would somewhat photorealistic in screenshots, but there are many things that completely break down photorealism - mediocre animations, unrealistic response/feedback from the environment etc. Photorealism in games isn't only a bout graphical fidelity, it's about physics, interactions, animations as well.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
I don't want ultra-realistic graphics. Have you seen reality? A lot of it looks like ass. I want cell shaded funtimes please!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Unfortunately, he also notes that advanced visuals have drawbacks: Animations and believable AI pose unique challenges for a photo-realistic industry, and will require far more time and research to counter than high-quality graphics.
You know, you could ease up a little on obsessively chasing after those high-quality graphics and instead devote more time and research on everything else. Just an idea.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
*sigh* I certainly hope not. Why oh why must we keep striving for uncanny valley instead of just making a good game with interesting visuals. Art style people come on let's see some creativity.

Of course this is Epic they are just like Crytec and David Cage "Polygons Polygons Polygons! Graphics aaahg YES! the Graphics!"

Damn it wish I knew how to post of gif of Jim Cages emotions dance.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
And on related news: Several developpers & publishers whine that all their games flop even though they sell millions, because of their shitty budgets.

Jep. Makes sense. And yesterday we had a thread were someone said it's the gamers fault, that publishers make shitty budgets, because of our demands.

Oh gaming industry, can't you please crash already so we're over with this cesspool of ignorance and incompetence. Thanks a lot.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
OH BOY, I can't wait till the barren, brown wastelands of Triple A games look like actual barren, brown wastelands!

After the last gen of games, I no longer care about graphics... if anything I think we should go back to sprites. It would do us a world of good.

Elwolfman

Mar 4, 2013
I hope that one day all games will be so photo-realistic that we are forced to judge a games graphics by how in-sync the lips are.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
So let's just widen that "Uncanny Valley" into the "Uncanny Vast Expanse of Barren Nothingness" and create the most absolutely highest resolution, super-scenic totally boring and barren of compelling content pile of shit ever made. If I want reality and realism, I wake-up in the morning; I don't pay some game developer $60 to create a fucked-up version of it.

Game developers, please, please, please, stop this hell-bent focus on graphics and start learning how to make an actually interesting game. Any trained monkey can make a highly detailed, pretty picture, but only a true artist and craftsman can actually make something interesting and great, because the artist/craftsman understands that it takes more than just graphics.

I'm not going to deny that great graphics can a good game better, but, it should not be the focus. However, we have long passed the point of the graphics being "good enough" and the focus needs to shift to inventing better ways of constructing the actual GAME aspects of the game, like plot, pacing, puzzle and challenge design, challenge progression, balancing (for competitive games), game-mechanics, control schemes, basic game concept, AI, strategy, appropriate use of multiplayer, appropriate use of social features, and pretty much just about every other long neglected aspect of video game design and construction.

There an especially big gap in understanding how to meld the story of the game with the gameplay, game-mechanics, and pacing of the game in a self-consistent, coherent, and logical manner such the game is able to properly suspend disbelief. Creating realism is not necessary to create suspension of disbelief and, hence, immersion; all that's needed is to create a self-consistent game-world/platform that clearly establishes its rules and abides by them.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure people were saying it was 10 years away 10 years ago.
I'm not sure we'll ever quite get all the way there.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'd much rather have a game which looks a bit meh but has a great story, music, artstyle, AI or gameplay.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
I can't wait until the industry shifts its focus to being able to boast about their sweet AI instead of their dumbass graphics. SNES graphics were perfectly serviceable, the improvement of graphics should be a tertiary pursuit behind game design and AI.