Episode 10: "Fire and Blood"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Episode 10: "Fire and Blood"

True to its title, the final episode of Game of Thrones delivers both fire and blood.

Read Full Article

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
I was disapointed by this episode. I know the story has to follow the books (wich I did not read) But I hoped for some sort of a conclusion for the first season. Instead I'm left with the feeling that basicly everything is the same as last week, but now there be dragons.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Prince Regent said:
I was disapointed by this episode. I know the story has to follow the books (wich I did not read) But I hoped for some sort of a conclusion for the first season. Instead I'm left with the feeling that basicly everything is the same as last week, but now there be dragons.
Yeah I felt similarly, but I think that's just the nature of this kind of narrative and I'm somewhat willing to forgive it. With some many character in so many separate locations we get to see a rich and diverse story, but it certainly felt like the last episode was one massive set-up for the next season.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Slycne said:
Prince Regent said:
Yeah I felt similarly, but I think that's just the nature of this kind of narrative and I'm somewhat willing to forgive it. With some many character in so many separate locations we get to see a rich and diverse story, but it certainly felt like the last episode was one massive set-up for the next season.
I really can't
Wait for Joffery Death. It will be glorius.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
Prince Regent said:
As a tv viewer I am incensed that the series ended like that, and so abruptly. I had no idea that was the season finale, and when I found out, I freaked out like Cartman in T.M.I and started shaking the kitchen table where my friends were sitting. I was worried that the show was pandering to it's fans, and this confirmed it for me. Don't get me wrong, I was enraptured by the series, I loved it and the characters and I'm definitely going to read Game of Thrones, but for HBO, that last episode as a finale fell well short of the mark for me.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Man do we really have to wait till Season 2 for Stannis Baratheon? (spelling check)

I mean its been quite a few episodes since Ned sent that letter to Stannis declaring him the next in line to the throne. Logic dictates he would have to have sent the reason why Joffrey isn't fit for it...

So the final episodes states the Baratheon's are rallying an army just like the Starks...but what how has news of Joffrey not gotten out yet?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I am really surprised this was the end of the first season, also a bit shocked. All my favorite characters are dying, first Ned, now Drogo, I swear if the Imp dies I will reign death and destruction!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Rednog said:
I am really surprised this was the end of the first season, also a bit shocked. All my favorite characters are dying, first Ned, now Drogo, I swear if the Imp dies I will reign death and destruction!
Same here.

I wouldn't mind if Dany died horribly though. Fucking queen of the rapists. All that character development and now she is an asshole just like her brother.

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
Great write up :)

Just wanted to comment that the sword that killed Ned was actually his own, Ice, Ser Ilyn Payne just said "yoink" and claimed it for himself (which is yet another constant reminder for Sansa that she is deep in enemy territory)

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Grahav said:
Rednog said:
Same here.

I wouldn't mind if Dany died horribly though. Fucking queen of the rapists. All that character development and now she is an asshole just like her brother.
That witch deserved it though. Also, fuck yeah, Dragons. Can't wait to get started on the book now!

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I think they made a mistake by doing this. It's the best and most interesting series I've watched in long time, but really the lack of any conclusion just reminded me of why I never read the books in the first place - freaking five books?

The 2nd season is scheduled for next spring? Feel stupid reading a book 1 now, if I start reading book 2 that's all so silly. If everyone who watched the show now buys the books and reads them...I don't really feel like following the series that much.
I think they'll lose a lot of the audience and as far as I've heard, s2 will require a bigger budget...that's not a good combination.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
anian said:
the lack of any conclusion just reminded me of why I never read the books in the first place - freaking five books?
"derpy derp reading hurtz brain, not enuff pichers"

If the books are good then you don't notice you are reading, you are just immersed in the world and wonder where the time went. Then you are sad it is all over. Don't be intimidated by big books or long series. Except for Charles Dickins a book that is too long isn't nearly as painful to get though as a movie that is too long.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Grahav said:
Rednog said:
Same here.

That witch deserved it though. Also, fuck yeah, Dragons. Can't wait to get started on the book now!
Yeah, she did deserve to be tetra-raped, scorned, made into a slave and having her hometown scorched and the lifes she preserved undone.

The dothraki may rot for all I care.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Grahav said:
OhJohnNo said:
Grahav said:
Rednog said:
Same here.

Yeah, she did deserve to be tetra-raped, scorned, made into a slave and having her hometown scorched and the lifes she preserved undone.

You are completely missing the point of Dany Freeing her people, and pledging vengeance of any who would harm them. Her people will not be the same as the horde that preceded it. Trust me she makes good on this promise. Also, if someone killed your unborn child, you wouldn't crave vengeance?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Grahav said:
OhJohnNo said:
Grahav said:
Rednog said:
Same here.

I felt no sympathy for her after her ritual, even when she explained all that, and I still don't. Daeny was completely justified burning her IMO - she killed her baby and essentially killed her husband, and ruined her life (goodbye, Dothraki horde).

Also, what rickthetrick said.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Grahav said:
OhJohnNo said:
Grahav said:
Rednog said:
Same here.

I felt no sympathy for her after her ritual, even when she explained all that, and I still don't. Daeny was completely justified burning her IMO - she killed her baby and essentially killed her husband, and ruined her life (goodbye, Dothraki horde).

The reason you haven't felt sympathy is because you hadn't watched it and already had a connection with Dany. It is the monkey cage thing, a person next you is shot in the head makes us hysterical. The news of mothers eating their babies in North Korea due to starvation makes us cringe but hardly seeing any therapists because of it.

And how many lives the dothraki have ruined? Dany was getting all wet when Khal said that he was going scorched earth in the Seven Kingdoms. Basically to her if HER people are fine and the slaves are not raped (but still slaves, mind you) everything is dandy.

TheShogun

May 22, 2011
So is the first season synchronised with the first book? I want to to start reading the series, but wish to avoid any spoilers.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
OhJohnNo said:

I actually felt she was justified in ruining her life. As previously stated they ruined her life enslaved her people and gang raped her just so they could rebuild a fallen dynasty. Her husband and unborn son would've been a scourge that perpetrated such atrocities over and over once they crossed the sea.

At least with dragons she can burn everyone before they can be gang raped and enlaved

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I think she was right to kill the witch. The witch basically ruined her life and said "you only saved my life, but it's worthless!" so she took the life back. Fair enough.

Plus I put myself in Dany's place... She sees her husband's army do things she didn't realise they'd be doing in order to raise money for her. She sees something she objects to and does the only thing she has the power to, stopping it. It results in the death of a good member of the guard (or whatever they call it). Then she trusts the person she's just saved to heal her husband. That results in his dying as well as her almost born child, and the whole army leaving her.
So, basically, the morale here for Dany is that because she showed compassion and trust, she lost her husband, her child and the whole army. Id she hadn't cared about that woman's fate, or hadn't trusted her to begin with, she would still have everything. No wonder she's embittered now.