Episode 5: The Wolf and the Lion

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Episode 5: The Wolf and the Lion

Tyrion and Ned have more in common than they'd like this week.

Read Full Article

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I think that they'll be so concerned with the dothraki near the ocean, they'll forget about the coming winter and the wall's protection. Thats where Ned will come in, and have to defend the kingdoms from Winterfell. I'm sure there will be lots of, as the king says, "backstabbing, scheming, arse-licking" until then though. I'm looking forward to seeing Ned go rescue his wife from the mad sister's tower. I reckon that soldier who said "Give me 10 good men and some climbing stakes" was a hint to how confident Ned would be to get his wife and her prisoner back, after being threatened so much by the Lannister douchebag.

monkeydoc

May 1, 2010
Having read the first book, I find it interesting how close the cards still are to the makers chest.

Also Deviluk's idealism is hilarious in hindsight... this tale gets a lot darker from here on in.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I don't think that Ned is a prisoner at the end of the episode. Jamie and host left him lying on the ground with parting words of something to the effect "remember, i want my brother back". This was a warning.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I'm a bit confused. The episode I saw faded out with Jaime's men leaving, not taking Ned captive, and Littlefinger supposedly 'going to get the city watch' (although that may have been just a ruse so he could get out of what was likely going to devolve into a melee).

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Angers me so much, that I got to watch the first episode, forgot to watch the second, then when I went to watch the third I found out that for some inexplicable reason I no longer had HBO. >.<

And I see some people confused: Ned is NOT a prisoner at the end of this episode. They killed his men, and his horse fell on him and wounded him. As someone whose read the books several times, I know. Ned doesn't become a prisoner till later.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Sarpedon said:
Angers me so much, that I got to watch the first episode, forgot to watch the second, then when I went to watch the third I found out that for some inexplicable reason I no longer had HBO. >.<

And I see some people confused: Ned is NOT a prisoner at the end of this episode. They killed his men, and his horse fell on him and wounded him. As someone whose read the books several times, I know. Ned doesn't become a prisoner till later.
They changed it from the book, so no horse fell on him. Also, zeeeee Mountain was riding a rather beautiful horse, sad to see it go down this way. :(

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sarpedon said:

The show doesn't follow the books exactly. Some scenes are combined, others completely invented.

I thought it was implied that, given the spear in the back of his leg, Jaime's men were taking Ned into custody, but perhaps that's premature. We have to see how it plays out next week.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
The breast feeding scene kinda got me this episode.

I had to take a breather.

Userman57

Nov 26, 2009
Tdc2182 said:

I knew it was going to happen but, it still made cringe. My wife even looked away.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
I see, well forgive me, as I said I no longer have HBO for some reason, so I didn't get to watch it myself. But since it's a key element of the story, I'd imagine that they would follow along with Ned not being taken prisoner till later.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I can't wait for everyone's reaction when this season is done. Trust me, whatever idea you have, it's probably wrong. Sooooo much shit happens it's not even funny.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
The Ser Loras and Renly scene was completely added in, but makes so much sense.
In retrospect, I don't know why I didn't see it was obvious earlier.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Tdc2182 said:

Definitely a weird scene but I had to wonder how they got that kid to do that. Obviously they didn't just hire some kid to suckle at a real breast but was it digital added or just a nice big fat rubber teat? (I'm constantly ruining my viewing experience by analyzing how things were done :D )

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
The series looks good so far. In regards to this episode, I think the thing that was on my mind the entire time was the fact that there were no Dothraki scenes this week. Other than that the three things that stuck out to me this week were a) the breast-feeding scene, mostly because of the age of the kid more than anything else (between this, Jaime and Cersei's little thing in the watch-tower, and that wierd intro scene for Daenerys and Viserys, there seems to be a lot of "family love" going on in this series), b) that Tyrion saved Catelyn, in which while I get he wouldn't be anywhere better by letting her die I do find it interesting that he saves the women who accuses him of trying to assassinate her son, making me wonder if he was actually involved or was chosen as a scapegoat, and c) that again the other basterd child of the King has black hair as well, as it furthers my theory that the reason why the book with all the royal lines is relevant is because it indicates how Bob should only be having children with black hair, yet all his children have blonde hair, indication of Cersei's affair and perhaps why Jon Aryn was killed by Her and her brother.

Captcha: cenferi line

Lord Inglip, are you saying that there is another royal family line that we do not know about!? I shall inform the others! It shall make for some good water cooler time in the temple!

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Sarpedon said:

The show doesn't follow the books exactly. Some scenes are combined, others completely invented.

I thought it was implied that, given the spear in the back of his leg, Jaime's men were taking Ned into custody, but perhaps that's premature. We have to see how it plays out next week.
I just watched it again (thank you DVR), and Jaime's men definitely leave the courtyard with Jaime saying words to the effect of "I want my brother back". Ned then collapses from the spear in the thigh.

So, I think it's safe to say that Ned will not be taken prisoner this time... and I guess that spear didn't hit his femoral artery (fortunately)...

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Now I know 1 is a fucking bigger number than five. A curious property of man-numbers.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Umm, Ned wasn't taken captive. He's stabbed in the leg and Jaime and his soldier's all leave.

edit: now I see this has been mentioned.

Sarpedon said:

sigh, don't post spoilers.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Eternal_Lament said:
The series looks good so far. In regards to this episode, I think the thing that was on my mind the entire time was the fact that there were no Dothraki scenes this week. Other than that the three things that stuck out to me this week were a) the breast-feeding scene, mostly because of the age of the kid more than anything else (between this, Jaime and Cersei's little thing in the watch-tower, and that wierd intro scene for Daenerys and Viserys, there seems to be a lot of "family love" going on in this series), b) that Tyrion saved Catelyn, in which while I get he wouldn't be anywhere better by letting her die I do find it interesting that he saves the women who accuses him of trying to assassinate her son, making me wonder if he was actually involved or was chosen as a scapegoat, and c) that again the other basterd child of the King has black hair as well, as it furthers my theory that the reason why the book with all the royal lines is relevant is because it indicates how Bob should only be having children with black hair, yet all his children have blonde hair, indication of Cersei's affair and perhaps why Jon Aryn was killed by Her and her brother.

Captcha: cenferi line

Lord Inglip, are you saying that there is another royal family line that we do not know about!? I shall inform the others! It shall make for some good water cooler time in the temple!
It's always fun knowing how the story turns out and watching others grasp in the dark.

Snape kills Luke's father with rosebud. Also, Bruce Willis was dead all along.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
I haven't read any of the books (they look very interesting) and I will try to do so, if I have time :p.

Regarding the topic, what I think is forcing King Robert to assassinate Daenerys is part of a big plan. This assassination it self will give enough reasons to Khal Drog to invade Seven Kingdoms. I have a feeling if this assassination happens, there will be plenty of leads that point towards King Robert. We know that some people want to see Wolves fight against Lions, and I think that same people want to see this assassination happens.

Also I love to the role White Walkers have to play in this. If Khal Drog finds a way to to Severn Kingdoms through northern boarders, will his entire horde/ most of his horde get destroyed by White Walkers?

Besides "Winter is coming", Do you remember what happened to Nazis who invaded USSR during the winder in WW2?