Erin Age: Keybearer

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If you guys keep leaking Bioware's trade secrets, they're gonna send some totally-not-Star-Wars bounty hunters after you.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Yes, yes, that point seems to be hammered in.
The story is your average "Grand Savior" theme.
Funny thing is, that I still like it. Sure, it has been done many, many times, yet I don't get sick of it. Probably because I look past it.

I don't know why, I just find it fun.
Yet I think Dragon Age doesn't hammer in your position of responsibility enough.
I haven't finished the game yet, so that might change.
Still, having fun with it, I'm sorta hoping for an expansion like "Dragon Age: Awakening".

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I saw the title and hoped there was going to be some Kingdom Hearts joke.

I am very disappoint.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Villager: Only Erin can save us! Save us Erin! Erin! ERIN! ERIN, WHY AREN'T YOU SAVING US ERIN?

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
The stare into the middle distant in panel 2 had me in stitches.
It scream a mixture of: "W T F is going on right now" and "Mistakes have been made".

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Well, not like it is that different of how ME started. You just basically bump into macguffin and become the chosen one, by grace of bumbling around and happenstance.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I'll put this in spoilers just in case.

I actually enjoyed that particular part of DA:I. With all the "chosen one" stories out there the dynamic of "people actually think you're a literal prophet" and all that comes with that is interesting, and I'm surprised it hasn't been done like that a bit more directly.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
kuolonen said:
Well, not like it is that different of how ME started. You just basically bump into macguffin and become the chosen one, by grace of bumbling around and happenstance.
Yes & no. Shepard was already supposed to become a Spectre, the beacon just gave him an important mission. The Inquisitor was some random person passing by.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Braddon Dent said:
It worked in Saints Row.
Which Saints Row?
In the first you were just some recruit who rose up the ranks by taking out 3 other gangs.
In the second you survived but had to take back (most) of the city from Ultor.
In The 3rd you ended up partnering with Ultor but then ended up fighting 3 1 gang which wanted your cash flow after taxes of course.
And in the fourth you had to fight aliens because they invaded.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Nonononononononononononoooooo
It's the KeyMASTER. Then you meet up with the Gatekeeper and summon the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Gah, it's so simple!

Sep 13, 2009
I'd say this is similar, yet slightly better than the Bethesda approach. The Bethesda approach tends require far less involvement of the player than "standing there while important things happen" does though.

Objectable said:
It's the KeyMASTER. Then you meet up with the Gatekeeper and summon the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Gah, it's so simple!
Dude. Spoilers

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
RatGouf said:
Braddon Dent said:
It worked in Saints Row.
Which Saints Row?
In the first you were just some recruit who rose up the ranks by taking out 3 other gangs.
In The 3rd you ended up partnering with Ultor but then ended up fighting 3 1 gang which wanted your cash flow after taxes of course.
In the first one you join the Saints because you were at the wrong place at the wrong time and Rather than try to kill you the Saints rescued you from the Vice Kings, who were trying to kill you, and you jointed them because of that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PunkRex said:
Villager: Only Erin can save us! Save us Erin! Erin! ERIN! ERIN, WHY AREN'T YOU SAVING US ERIN?
And she will look down and whisper, "no."

RatGouf said:
Which Saints Row?
In fact, I'd say the Boss is pretty much a self-made man/woman. Or we could just go with psychopath. S/he climbs the ranksm becomes a celebrities, parlays that into an empire, parlays victories into a political advantage, and takes on the forces of Omicron Persei 8 because s/he's the freaking President now.

Objectable said:
Gah, it's so simple!
There is no Erin. Only Zuuhl.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I actually think that it's a good thing about this game although it comes across as a big twist halfway through even though I felt like it was kinda obvious.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I still think it's a better approach than "farmby with a dream acquired greatness because of ancient prophecy"

And you can (sort of ) ackowlwdge this in game, also I like how they don't crown you "inquisitor" until you've " proved" yourself

Aaaaand I'm really glad my charachters a Nobel...none of that social mobility crap!

Nixou said:
Well, they tried to go away from it in Dragon Age 2 by making it the story where the local "Grand Savior" fails to stop centuries of accrued distrust and hatred from reaching the boiling point.
The reaction?
"This game sucks!
The gameplay sucks! The same local are copypasted ad nauseam!
(fair point)
The story suck! You can't force the mage and templars from making peace even if you do everything right! (wait... WHAT!?)"
y.
I think people would have been far more forgiving had the game been better...I haven't played it but maybe its the idea that ones choices have no effect, the problem is that we as players (in a bioware game particularly) are trained to expect a certain outcome...and if its different we think we've done something wrong.... a bit like how Mass Effect screwed any "actual" moral choices by color coding it and punishing you from deviating

also I know I tend to go into full on "explain away everything fangirl mode" when it comes to bioware games (and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson after ME3 but aparently not)

but (only having finished the first act) the whole thing feels more like a clever PR move on part of the inquisition, it doesn't actually matter if the PC is chosen by Andraste or not, what matters is the [i/]people[/i] believe it, and unlike other Bioware games its not just you running around single handedly doing shit, you have armys/spys/delegates at your disposal it makes it feel more realistic

my point is I don't like "be really really powerful" stories most of the time eather, but at least IMO it makes sense in context, unlike Bethesda games where your super duper powerful simply because your the player, literally thats the only explanation

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
The story is your average "Grand Savior" theme.

Well, they tried to go away from it in Dragon Age 2 by making it the story where the local "Grand Savior" fails to stop centuries of accrued distrust and hatred from reaching the boiling point.
The reaction?
"This game sucks!
The gameplay sucks! The same local are copypasted ad nauseam!
(fair point)
The story suck! You can't force the mage and templars from making peace even if you do everything right! (wait... WHAT!?)"
Just like in ME3, take away their triumphalist "golden ending" and the "hardcore" crowd will riot: never mind that the fucking lore and the tons of hint dropped in Origins/Awakening all pointed toward the status quo being both unsustainable and already on the verge of collapsing. The writers gave their audience a story built around the very idea that no individual, no matter how powerful there are, can singlehandedly reverse the momentum of History, and their customer base hated it. So they caved to their audience and gave them yet another power fantasy.

The funny thing that many people forget about Mass Effect is that as soon as she touches the Mcguffin, Shepard becomes absolutely certain that the Reapers are real: it's not a conclusion she reaches after finding clues during the main story missions: as soon as her first visit to the citadel, she's jumping up and down and shouting "Reapers! Reapers! Reapers!": no wonder the Power That Be treat her like an unhinged delusional paranoiac for most of the trilogy.