Error when trying to open an old game!

Elisa

Apr 24, 2020
Hello,
I'm getting this error message when trying to open an old PC game "Cannot load DMC2.COX this object might need an external program or library not yet installed".

Any ideas about how to fix this error?

Thanks,

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
First port of call should always be running the game in compatibility mode. Right click the .exe, then click properties, go to the compatibility tab, click the "run in compatibility mode" checkbox, and choose the operating system it was made for, or you remember it working on.

If that doesn't work, it's probably a problem with a certain file being missing from your PC or not where the game thinks it should be. I'd need to know what the game is to make an educated guess on how to fix that.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I've moved over to Linux*, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

According to a forum on this site, you need to download a file called bass.dll and place it in c:\windows\system\
I'm guessing this is some old game made with Klik & Play or some other Clickteam software.

*I did get Mortuum (which was made with Klik & Play) working on Linux but my version of Wine doesn't seem to have bass.dll, or if it does I can't find it

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Did it work before on the same system, or have you got a new one it's not working on? Or have you never tried it before?

Elisa

Apr 24, 2020
Yes, it worked on Windows XP, now I'm running Windows 10.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The readme does say:

"16-bit games will not run on Windows 10 and games which change your screen to a resolution not supported by your monitor will not work properly either. To run these games you will need to run Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows XP in a virtual machine or emulator (e.g. Orcacle VM VirtualBox or DOSBOX)"

Elisa

Apr 24, 2020
Solved

The problem was the BASS.DLL file was not packed with the game, but when I downloaded the installer it worked!

Thanks everybody.