ESA Study Finds Women Make Up Nearly Half of Gamer Population

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
KuromaTyrant said:
Strazdas said:
mechalynx said:
big colourful letters
Well, maybe you should have made it clearer, becuase from your post it did indeed look like it, and i wasnt the only one that reacted this way. You know, on itnernet one must always asume malice before stupidity before joke because thats how internet works. and there were no clear signals this was a joke.
That outlook is a quick way to raise your bloodpressure. I prefer stupidity>levity>troll>malice, but you know. I have superiority issues.
and when you meet malice and mistake it for stupidity, you wish you didnt.

FalloutJack said:
Strazdas said:
I'm really not. There's never been a real and actual movement about that. You might have some people making the DUR-face with a comment like that, but the equivalent of a 'no girls allowed' club doesn't mean we have a massive turn-off about women playing games. Much like all the times where people think violence in video games will ruin us all (something I read about as a child in regards to the original Mortal Kombat), I would have heard. This was never a thing.
your profile says 81. means that in the 90-95 you were still quite young and probably didnt notice it. neither have i (im younger than you) but there was a stigma of "games? thats for nerd boys only" in the culture. Even now in not that forward culture this stays. i live in eastern europe, and for aman to say hep lays vidoegames here is "well your childish but ok". for a woman "what are you doing this is not for you" is a reaction. sure there are some female that play, i know a few, but the cultural view is agasint that. and of course it is nto right, but that exists and ignoring it wont help.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
IT'S A TRAP!
Doesn't sound like a 'No women, this is man-time' thing, but 'Ew, we hate teh geeks and nerds' thing. In short, the oppoite effect, as though to say the one in the wrong was the male crowd. So no, I have to stick with my guns on this one.

Oh, and also? Since MK was released in '92 and I was concerned about people would tnink about violence in games THEN when I read the report, I'm going to have to say that I was observant for a young person. Now, with information not circulating as well then as now, I could understand if certain things did not circulate where they should for a young man to hear stuff...but insofar as media goes for the time, I do not believe it was 'a thing'.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
These stats always bug me cause they don't really mean anything. Working in retail for 9 years I can tell you videogaming on consoles/pc is HUGELY male dominated just to pull numbers out my butt its 90% plus as to whos actually buying games in your local target/walmart/bestbuy.

A near equal number of women might play games but I like to think of it as a team where everyone is playing but half of the team is scoring 80%+ of the points.

A far better number would be a comparison of money spent on gaming, or even hours spent gaming.

Oniontears

Jun 12, 2013
sneakypenguin said:
These stats always bug me cause they don't really mean anything. Working in retail for 9 years I can tell you videogaming on consoles/pc is HUGELY male dominated just to pull numbers out my butt its 90% plus as to whos actually buying games in your local target/walmart/bestbuy.

A near equal number of women might play games but I like to think of it as a team where everyone is playing but half of the team is scoring 80%+ of the points.

A far better number would be a comparison of money spent on gaming, or even hours spent gaming.
Except you'd have to break that down to a % instead of comparing dollars and hours, otherwise you'd get skewed stats. Some hardcore gamers spend a lot of their free money on games, but are students so 'disposable' income is lesser. By that same token some younger, less time-poor gamers might spend more time playing, but only because they have more free time to spare.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I take it that even with this news, people are still going to act as if a girl that plays video games is some sort of rarely occurring oddity?