ESA Wants $1.1 Million From California

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ESA Wants $1.1 Million From California

The Entertainment Software Association [http://www.theesa.com] has filed for $1.1 million in legal fees from California following its landmark victory over the state at the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court of the United States recently reaffirmed what lowers courts in the country have been saying for years: that videogames are persisted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames] all the way to the top court, where it lost one last time.

And now it's time to pony up. The financially-strapped state, which has already given the ESA $282,794 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85481-California-Coughs-Up-The-Dough] in legal fees resulting from its first loss, is now looking at another $1.1 million tab thanks to its ill-advised persistence. "From the start of this misguided legislation, then-Governor Schwarzenegger and specific California legislators knew that their efforts to censor and restrict expression were, as court after court ruled, unconstitutional and thus a waste of taxpayers' money, government time, and state resources," ESA President Michael Gallagher said in a statement.

"California persisted in defending a law that Plaintiffs warned the Legislature was unconstitutional before it was passed; that was previously found to be unconstitutional by the district court and a unanimous panel of the Ninth Circuit; and that is similar to at least eight other laws invalidated as unconstitutional prior to the time that California sought certiorari in this case," the ESA argued in its motion to recover attorney's fees.

California is the eighth-largest economy in the world, ahead of nations including Canada, Russia and India, but is currently struggling with a $9.6 billion budget shortfall. From a practical perspective, a million-dollar legal bill is just a drop in the bucket, but like the proverbial teabagging that follows the headshot, it's the thought that counts.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I am a californian, and I say pony it up. Maybe next time you'll think twice before wasting taxpayer dollars pursuing obviously unconstitutional laws to win political points with idiots.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Yes, as another Californian in this thread I say we pay up. This isn't the first roundly unconstitutional/insane thing our state has done and -- debt crisis or not -- it's the state's duty to pay those fees. I doubt the state will slow down in doing insane things but that's nothing new.

[small]I may love my state but we have the worst public officials in the US[/small]

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
What a wonderful last line. Luls were had.

Andy Chalk said:
...but like the proverbial teabagging that follows the headshot, it's the thought that counts.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
but like the proverbial teabagging that follows the headshot, it's the thought that counts.

Made my day.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Of all the things they needed fixing and persistance on, video games wasn't it.

The industry can't be a scapegoat anymore.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ok California, time to pay up, you knew this was gonna happen, so just pay the nice people and go back to doing...well, whatever you doing before.

And let this be a lesson to you when you want to use the taxpayer's money for something that everyone already knew in the first place.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
So this is pretty much the ESA kicking them while they're down. I approve. Also...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
As am MLP fan says to someone outside the herd:

"PONY UP!"

Also that Last line Chalk?

Much Lulz was had that minuite.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
I can't add anything substantial to the conversation. So I'll just do this:

+1 Approve
+1 Lulz
+1 "Ha ha ha!!!"

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Now I'm waiting for the karmic balance to change, and to throw my own state of Pennsylvania under the bus. It's going to happen, probably sooner rather than later.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
It's very uncommon in this type of litigation in the US for legal fees to be awarded to the winner. That is normally done in cases of frivolous lawsuits made in bad faith. Which of course could happen since there is evidence they were given fair warning from multiple experts it was unconstitutional. If the ESA is awarded legal fees, that is one more kick in the nuts to the people backing this litigation since it in essence declares them idiots.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
JediMB said:
Err... won't these $1.1 million also be taxpayers' money?

That sounds like a bad idea, considering the state of the US economy.

Yeah, but that's what happens when elected officials do stupid crap. The people who voted for them have to pay for their mistakes. It happens often enough, you vote them out of office.

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Saw the announcement on Twitter and thought: "What? The European Space Agency is demanding 1.1$ from California!? WTF is that! I gotta check that out!"

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
scott91575 said:
If the ESA is awarded legal fees, that is one more kick in the nuts to the people backing this litigation since it in essence declares them idiots.
Which they are. :3

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Much as I cheer at the win in gamers' favor, I don't see California coughing up the cash. Considering they are a bankrupt state(Which makes no sense since their GDP rivals or beats small countries' own. Balance budget much? Obviously not!), better to not put any more pain on the taxpayers there, most of whom could have cared less about the ratings legislation or been on the ESA's stance for their own reasons. I hope
specific California legislators
are removed from office before they come up with other dumb ideas to put California further into a money pit.

Better to just call it a win and hold a fundraiser to make up for the expenses.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
California should do it, since they came up with this case in the first place, but it sucks that it is coming out of taxpayer money. (Though it might be in the state's favor to save their money and not do dumb things like this anymore.)

Blackout62

Dec 24, 2008
Put me down as another Californian wanting the state to pony up.

Take it out of the school budget. No one actually needs smartboards and they know it.

...Our state's seal is a somewhat sad hodgepodge of symbolism.