Escape to the Movies: 300: Rise of an Empire

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Oh my god, I soooOOOooo agree with bob about the Arkham Knight trailer. If they make captions for the first half of that trailer, they should just make them the words "DADDY ISSUES" flashing across the screen. Jaysis Chroist.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That batman joke tickled a bit.

I think I might watch this film just for the sake of the villain and the characters, especially since last time around it was just Good v Evil and nothing else.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
That actually sounds pretty cool. The first 300 was a good movie but only by accident. The Subtext of seeing how brutal the Spartans posed against the even more thuggish and brutal slave driver Persians made you think about your own standards was compelling. However I don't think this was intentional or at least not what Frank Miller intended. If the squeal is smart on purpose that sounds great.

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
>Bob showing his buttdevastation over 300's depiction of a bunch of alpha males holding a ridge.

I can understand the criticism behind it, and granted it is valid, but did you really have to come off whiny about the whole thing? This goes as bad as calling back to your SNES days. I always liked Bob the personality, but Bob the person always grated me the wrong way. I can't help, but roll my eyes at his bias moments

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I never saw 300, now I feel I need to see it and this one when they are both on blue ray. Or would it really be worth catching 300 now so I can catch 300: Rise of an Empire on the big screen?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Someone already beat you to that Batman joke, MovieBob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bovfqxydwsw

Anyway, never saw the 300 movie, and while this movie sounds good, I probably won't see it in the theaters.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
walsfeo said:
I never saw 300, now I feel I need to see it and this one when they are both on blue ray. Or would it really be worth catching 300 now so I can catch 300: Rise of an Empire on the big screen?
Not having seen the second, I couldn't say. But I passed on going to see 300 and I kinda regretted it. It's such a visually striking film that I can't help but think seeing the big screen version would have added considerably to the spectacle.

And while I never though 300 needed a sequel, I'll still be trying my best to make time to see this one while it's at the theater. :)

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Well, sounds like something to go burn away the time on this weekend and not regret doing so. Awesome review Bob.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
300 was utterly dumb, but very enjoyable. The fact that there was a sequel didn't seem necessary, yet, considering this review, it actually sounds fun. The thing about Ancient Greece is that, when it comes to Western culture, it did a lot of 'firsts'. To the best of our knowledge, Themistocles was world's first politician as we in the modern day would recognise him. Not just was he an effective orator when it came to affairs of state, but also in private matters. Usually, he skills would be turned to legal matters; i.e. defending his clients in a court of law.
From my experience, too much of Ancient Greece is criminally under-exposed. With Pericles's Funeral Oration, you have the first public defence of Democracy as an ideal. With Athens itself, you have a maritime trading empire using its proceeds to fund a 'welfare state' in its home city. With the Melian Dialogue, you have the first open piece of realpolitik. Then there's the Peloponnesian War, The Spartan Hegemony, the King's Peace, the Theban Hegemony (featuring Epaminondas and Pelopidas - the first geek/jock combo in recorded history), the Battle of Mantinea, King Philip and the rise of Macedonia. Finally you have Alexander the Great. Now that has been covered, but not very well - Colin Farrell.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
It's ballsy to take a kind of 21st century approach to masculinity and use it to deconstruct its traditional ideals. It's amusing to see the obvious bullies of yesteryear going on Fox News and bemoaning the loss of "masculinity" and whine about how they have to watch what they say or do because it might be construed as sexist, still completely oblivious to the fact that it IS sexist and what they're actually complaining about is the loss of their privilege to bully and belittle others to make themselves feel big. I think this carries extra weight in the 300 franchise as the comics and thus the movie was a gross exaggeration of fact and applies a bluntly Americanized perspective onto the Spartans. So Americanized, in fact, that the Spartans in 300 seem to live in this state of constant denial about their cultures own flaws. Pederasty was just as prominent in Sparta as other parts of Greece. Slaves were the backbone of Sparta because a bunch of men devoted to soldiering weren't going to go out and grow crops, were they? Leonidas might have taken 300 Spartans with him to the Hot Gates, but they were backed up by something like 12,000 other Greeks.

It's nice to see this movie not fail, even if it's only real victory is overcoming our lowered expectations, so I hope it does get people talking. If nothing else, burying Frank Miller as fast as we buried Dennis Miller should be reason enough to see it.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Seems very interesting if only because it?s a movie about a war that isn?t world war 2, serious Hollywood why aren?t there more Punic war movies? Extra credits made it awesome only using pictures and a guy talking.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So does this mean we can finally get a wonder woman movie? We have had two really good sword wielding women who were badguys/morally ambiguous does that mean we can now have a good one?

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
Surprising. I had no real interest in seeing this, but your suggestion that it's critical of its sire makes me want to give it a chance.

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I think I'm sick of the Arkham franchise. Of course Asylum was amazing and City was an immense improvement, and obviously Origins was hampered by its development team, but it looks like the franchise is completely stuck in its rut of "Play as Batman in a Free-Roam Environment with extra playable characters in the challenge maps". What is actually stopping them from making allowing you to freeroam as Robin / Nightwing / Batgirl? Why not have the campaign (or at least sections of it) playable as other characters? I mean, I get that "Batman is always specially awesome solo" or whatever, but a lot of the interesting Batman mythos is dealing with the Bat-Family. And why not take a break from Batman and make a damn Superman game already, Rocksteady?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wow, what the fuck. That was the very last thing I expected a review of some random 300 sequel popping up seemingly out of nowhere to be. I... unbelievably... may have to watch that...
And, yeah, I saw 300 and it was shit. Enjoyable while it lasted, admittedly, but shit nonetheless and a movie I watched only once and forgot about quickly (excepting the various references other media kept making to it, of course). So this is... odd. In a good way.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The best review of the original 300 is still The War Nerd's review [http://exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=8516&IBLOCK_ID=35].

I'm very glad to hear that the sequel apparently tries to fix some of the problems. I'll still wait for the DVD rental, though.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
themilo504 said:
Seems very interesting if only because it?s a movie about a war that isn?t world war 2, serious Hollywood why aren?t there more Punic war movies? Extra credits made it awesome only using pictures and a guy talking.
Hear, hear. I would pay good money for a series of films on the Punic Wars. With "the marvel treatment" would be best.