Escape to the Movies: 9

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I gotta admit, I'm not entirely surprised by this, I mean like you say, anyone who's seen the trailers or looked on Youtube in the last few months has likely seen all the major action that takes place, and I wasn't overly sure what to expect story wise besides they're out fighting for survival and plan to take out the red-eyed animal-bots.

But I'm definately still gonna give it a look.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
Nice to see someone else hates the Wapanese. Might look into it, got a cinema voucher that I really should get round to spending, and I know at least one person who may be interested in the film.

macatombe

Mar 8, 2009
1 Jan 1970 eh?

Might give it a look but I don't think it will hurt me that much to wait for the sky movies release.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
Has the video been removed? When clicking the link, it says 'Page does not exist' and I can't find it in the video galleries...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I saw it, I thought it was good. I do agree that the ending was a bit confusing.

Oh, the Twins in 9 are a hell of a lot better then the ones in Transformers 2.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Well, I'm kinda disappointed. It looked really quite cool, but if it's essentially the Crysis of the movie animation world, I may just wait till it comes out on video and give 'er a rent.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Sounds like this is more a Netflix candidate than a cinematic one. I'll probably give it a pass, and save my money to finally go see "Inglorious Basterds" instead.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I really enjoyed 9, except for the ending, which is just cheese piled on cheese. Other than that, the action was fun, the characters were extremely likeable, and the plot worked well enough. I agree it could have been better, but I'd still call it a great movie.

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Okay, somebody needs to create sharkpunk. I have no idea what it would be, but I'm almost certain it would be awesome.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Shadow_Kid said:
NO MORE HEROES WAS AWSOME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY
He acutally loves "No More Heroes." Go watch his old Game Overthinker's on youtube (READ: his first one), and he spouts much love for the game.

Anyway, I was interested in this movie, but since it's not "Holy shit" levle sof awesome, I'll wait for the DVD release... and then I'll rent it.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i remember stumbling the short which i found to be genius, but im not really surprised that it lacks a story, also why does your reviews always change quality, and im not speaking of the content, but the visual, its switching from gritty 2 square centimeters pixels to normal quality back and forth, its not very pleasant for the eyes.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Shadow_Kid said:
NO MORE HEROES WAS AWSOME I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY
I agree. "NMH" will probably be remembered as one of the defining games of this console generation. That said, YOU try finding enough images that immediately and universally scream "obnoxious Japanophile" to a web-saavy audience that ISN'T part of someone's personal flickr account ;)

It came down to Francis and Travis because I couldn't remember the name of the slacker neighbor from Shin-Chan. Though I'm just now realizing it would've been a nice place to drop a Chinpokomon bit. Ah, well...

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
nice of him to list a few mature animated films, gotta catch up on those, and I like that he showed Titan too, that film is alright.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Why would people want to forget Wanted? It was a brilliant piece of simple action that was supported by good special effects and brilliant cast and credible enough story that was coated over with the afformentioned good stuff, you know, kind of like Jason Statham movies.

dracoslayer16

Jun 19, 2009
I wanted to watch a video review, not you spouting your strange views on japanese manga readers. Instead of blabbering on about non-movie related crap maybe you should have written a more thorough review of the actual film. I haven't seen 9 yet and this review barely said anything useful. Most of your other reviews are decent but this one was just plain annoying the whole time.

stickmangrit

May 30, 2008
dracoslayer16 said:
I wanted to watch a video review, not you spouting your strange views on japanese manga readers. Instead of blabbering on about non-movie related crap maybe you should have written a more thorough review of the actual film. I haven't seen 9 yet and this review barely said anything useful. Most of your other reviews are decent but this one was just plain annoying the whole time.
did someone just say weeaboo? 'cause i think someone just said weeaboo.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
DayDark said:
nice of him to list a few mature animated films, gotta catch up on those, and I like that he showed Titan too, that film is alright.
I was honestly let down by Titan A.E. I mean, it was directed by Don-Fucking-Bluth, had beautiful artistic design, almost seamless integration of cel- and computer-animation. Yet, once you watch the movie a second time, the story makes you go "Bwuh?"

I mean, Scientist creates genetic database of all loving things on earth, "evil" alien energy-beings attack and destroy earth for no clear reason, boy finds genetic database and discovers that the only way to power it is to consume the entire species of energy-beings.

Bwuh?

There has to be something that happened before the Cale was born where there was some sort of animosity between the humans and the Drej because Cale's father had to have planned to power the Titan with the Drej while building it. It would make sense, then that the Drej would want to destroy Earth, home to the species that is actively trying to wipe them out. But this is never developed, nor understood by the audience until after the Titan is activated, creating Planet Bob (which, by the way, is the best part of the movie)

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
dracoslayer16 said:
Go read any other review of "9", you'll see that they ALL say there is not much to talk about. The movie is a beautiful set piece, but there is almost no story to talk about. The characters are derivative and stereotypical, which oddly is something that Timmur Bekmambetov <a href=http://io9.com/5354084/timur-bekmambetov-9-is-about-your-coworkers>touted as a good thing about the movie.

I think that his aside against otaku, and in particular that special subset that believes no animation created anywhere else in the world can ever be as adult and mature as the "adult and mature" animation that comes out of Japan, to be extremely topical and on-point. Just because you took offense, perhaps because you ARE one of that special subset, or at least like to think that their idiot argument holds water, doesn't mean that MovieBob didn't thoroughly review "9" in this video.