Escape to the Movies: A Christmas Carol

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
A Christmas Carol

MovieBob reviews the pandering, 3D trickery that is "Disney's A Christmas Carol".

Watch Video

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
wow nice review, i always thought a Xmas carol was one of those story you couldn't mess up...guess bob proved me wrong lol

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
The only thing that could have made the movie worse would have been if Michael Bay was directing it. Holy crap, this movie looks bad.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Darn, was hoping for a review of The Fourth Kind, but great review all the same. I was a bit taken aback by the dialogue when I saw a clip on last night's Conan.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I cannot overstate how GLAD I am that this movie is going to suck.

Carol is an English book one of our major classics. To have the originla story portrayed by an American was scary as I didnt want the Robin Hood syndrome (Hes from Nottingham England he doesnt talk like Kevin Costner!) to happen to one of my beloved childhood (the Muppet version and OK they are american but the only human in the film IS Michael Caine) and the Albert Finney version which was amazing (without seeing any of the others barring Scrooged)

Thank you bob for making me feel much better about myself today!

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
As a point of interest, what do people think the -best- adaptation of the Christmas Carol story is?

My own opinion is an odd one. After actually reading the book I was ready for something to follow that particular taste, but on looking into the films my favourite version was actually... A Muppet Christmas Carol. No seriously, it was probably the most emotionally driven of the whole lot- thanks to Michael Kane in particular. There are admittedly set pieces of humour but they don't feel too out of place for the most part, and a few I still enjoy to this day. I know that some of the more serious literary buffs are going to find this immature but really, this christmas watch the muppet version, I sure as hell will be.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Haha, wow, scathing~

But I'm glad, in a way. I feel justified now. I had no desire to see it (I like the Muppets version and the one with Patrick Stewart) but my sister can't understand why not.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Thank you Bob, you saved me at least $20 and from a bad movie expirence.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I never really liked th sotry int he first place. I wish movies would stop being in 3D. Its ruining cinema with a cheap gimmick

Sephiroth_deus

Jul 25, 2009
I sort of get the feeling that all the slapstick, physical comedy was done mainly as a way of getting the "most" out of using Jim Carey. It is sort of his thing. I like him a lot as an actor and comedian, but whenever he tries to do something serious it usually falls flat on it's face. All and all I wasn't planning on seeing it(I already have the Muppet Christmas Carol thank you very much) and this pretty much just seals the deal.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Why, why, WHY does Jim Carey want to ruin Christmas? First that horrible Grinch debacle, and now this? Did Santa Claus murder his puppy when he was a kid? Did a careening dreidel blind his mother? What? Please, please Mr. Carey, gives us back our Christmas movies. No more remakes. Let us keep A Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer at least. Do something else, please.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
as it stands, i'm kinda against anything with jim carrey anyway... btw muppet chirstmas carol best adaptation.

and btw the way, since your're doing 2012 next week, please rip on that movie. It's overhyped itself too much. It's chomping on it's own lungs it's so far up it's own ass. Really Bob, watch all the trailers and then see if you like it more than UP, district 9 or public enemies or whichever film you've liked most this year.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Okay, so, I'm not surprised that it's bad. Jim Carrey has had a very spotty track record when it comes to films, which is a tragedy because he is an absolutely STELLAR standup comic. (He does some impressions that make you go "that man has a rubber face!")

Btw, loved the "...watching 'Remains of the Day' and every five minutes a Jackie Chan movie breaks out..." line-- very evocative!

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
crotalidian said:
I cannot overstate how GLAD I am that this movie is going to suck.

Carol is an English book one of our major classics. To have the originla story portrayed by an American was scary as I didnt want the Robin Hood syndrome (Hes from Nottingham England he doesnt talk like Kevin Costner!) to happen to one of my beloved childhood (the Muppet version and OK they are american but the only human in the film IS Michael Caine) and the Albert Finney version which was amazing (without seeing any of the others barring Scrooged)

Thank you bob for making me feel much better about myself today!
If one's biggest problem with foreign adaptations on one's culture's stories is the accent, one needs to apply some reason. First, foreign adaptation is just about the highest form of praise one can give a culture; parroting accents comes dangerously close to an insult regardless of how well it's done and with what sincerity. Second, Victorian English (Dickens), Middle English (Robin Hood and Shakespeare), and Old or not even English (Arther) sound regressively less like modern, true English (what they speak in London). Nobody is ever going to get the accent right, neither you nor me. Repeat after me: "Thank you for the presumed compliment of my culture."

And Moviebob, Branagh's Hamlet was great because it was unabridged.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
Liked the review. I won't be seeing this movie, as I always watch at least 3 other versions of it in the run up to Christmas anyway. From what I saw in the trailers I agree with what MovieBob said about the random insertion of some action scenes in the movie, they just seem totally out of place. A Christmas Carol has been made so many times now that to keep on making any more seems pointless.