Escape to the Movies: A Nightmare on Elm Street

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
CaptainCrunch said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Is there some clause in the Escapist contracts that require you critics to take potshots at Halo?
Innovations in multiplayer gameplay and standardizing the controller setup aside, what exactly has Halo done with storytelling that can't be found in a canned-plot movie?

MovieBob saying "I don't like Halo, and I don't like Michael Bay. They would probably make a great team," is not the same as "I hate Halo and all the people that love it. I hereby curse them with all the evil powers of Michael Bay!" Keep this in mind when this happens for other games / movies / media you might like. You'll live a lot longer if this kind of thing doesn't stress you out.
I can appreciate that you probably deal with a lot of zealots where Halo is concerned and many of them may have this attitude. But I never said anything like that.

It was meant in good fun and maybe you'll live a lot longer if you can take note of sarcastic ribbing when dealing with "all us Halo sheep".

Beyond that, I'm not going to hijack a thread that is supposed to be about film critique and argue about Halo's finer points (or from your perspective lack thereof) because it's mostly subjective.

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
Well i guess its either you like michael bay or you don't i like some of his movies so i guess ill go see nightmare on elm street. I enjoyed friday the 13th and texas chainsaw masscure.

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
the moment i saw Michal-bay's name on the freddy railer oh so many months ago, i KNEW moviebob would hate it. and this is awsome :p

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Nivag the Owl said:
I really don't have a problem with remakes... like, at all. Even if I experienced the original when it was new. Most of the frustration in this review seems to be from the remake flaws, I think I'm still going to give it a fighting chance.
I agree with you on remakes, but I got the opposite feeling than you did from his review. To me it sounds like they did a good job covering up problems that you inherently have from remakes and came up with some potentially neat ideas, but the execution of those ideas is what stinks at. I'm old enough that I saw the original before any remakes were out so Freddy was still a scary original character. I am disappointed this is looking so bad. Not that my wife would go see it with me anyways....

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Without creative killings its not even elm street.
As for bay meets halo i'm all for it. Bring on some over the top action and bullshit. It might just work

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Thanks for saving me some money Movie Bob! I was going to see this in the off chance that it was a good solid remake like Dawn of the Dead or even Halloween. I was a bit worried about seeing it at all because for me Robert Englund is Freddy. It was the style that he brought to the character that made him awesome and terrifying.

Also now that I know Mr. Bay is behind it, that is the nail in the coffin. Maybe I'll check it out when it hits the $2 theater in a couple of weeks.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
How about "the guys who made all these live action commercials for the last 3 Halo games" do Halo?

They are actually much better directed than the game cutscenes AND suggest more interesting stories soo (and remember that CGI TV Spot "Starry Night" where it seemed like we could actually get glimpses of John "Master Chief"'s past...)...yeah, do that.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
GameGoddess101 said:
Michael Bay doing a Halo movie... much better idea than Peter Jackson doing a Halo movie...
AMEN. We don't want a good director like Jackson to ruin his career. Bay has no talent so lets give it to him.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Don't forget Human Target on Fox. Haley is the only reason i watch that show. Its good to see someone giving praise to someone who actually deserves it.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
You seriously hate Halo. -Facepalm- I generally like ya stuff untill you bang on Halo every other episode.

But all in all, as good quality as ever.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
I have no problem with Michael Bay. I loved Armageddon and BOTH Transformers.

Are you gonna tell me I have bad taste in movies? No, you aren't because there's no such thing. Movie opinions are subjective. Even the most lauded film critics on the planet are, at their core, nothing more special than any average Joe/Jane, going to see a movie. Their opinions are not somehow magically more valuable or credible than mine or yours. It seems to me that most of them read far too deeply into films looking for undertones and subtle themes of one thing or another (did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe the filmmakers weren't going for some deep, social commentary, and MAYBE just had an idea for a cool movie and made it?). The only thing different about professional critics is that they get paid to share their opinion. And I think we lose sight of the fact that, despite their being paid to do what they do, their words are still just THEIR opinion, and not necessarily fact.

Again, I liked Transformers, and I'm frankly getting sick of the Michael Bay bashing. Its starting to sound a lot like the Uwe Boll bashing, which, though Boll hasn't made a single movie that I enjoyed, is starting to get a little old an annoying.

In conclusion, bad movies don't exist. There are simply movies that more people found unenjoyable.

Good movies don't exist, there are simply movies that less people found unenjoyable.

[endrant]

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Well, that is... Depressing...

I have seen ALL of the Freddy Krueger movies, and I loved them all as if they were my children.

Sounds like this movie is one to avoid... :' (

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Ah, poor Haley. Was hoping this would be good just so he could add another notch to his "good movies I star in as an ADULT" belt, but alas.

And keep Bay AWAY from Halo, thanks. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a movie based on "The Fall of Reach" (NOT the upcoming game) could actually be pretty good.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
The commercial for this movie looked interesting, but even so I had no hopes for it.

We should make a list of movies we'd like Michael Bay to direct!

I'll start!
Red Dawn
Bayonetta (Well Bay or Joss W.)
Andromeda