Escape to the Movies: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

ollieoz17

Dec 17, 2008
Speaking as someone who is from the deep South and has spent 24 of the last 26 years here, I wish there was a lot more demonization of the Confederacy from my fellow Southerners. Gone With the Wind style romanticization makes me queasy, and I figure that if my home is ever going to rise above the status of "belittled country backwater," we're going to have to come to terms with the facts that 1) the Confederacy were the bad guys, and 2) we're not the CSA, and haven't been for the last 150+ years.

Of course, I *do* still get annoyed when people from elsewhere use the term "Southern" pejoratively, but I'm not going to pretend like we don't have problems, and this weird historical-identity one is a significant one we really need to have gotten over by now.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
When the trailer for this showed in the cinema and the titles came up at the end "Abraham Lincoln.......Vampire Hunter", no lie, everyone in the cinema laughed in derison. Then again this is England and such ridiculousness would be fine in a Monty Python sketch but not in a serious fully-fledged movie. I suppose it could be fun to watch and laugh at.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
ollieoz17" post="6.379581.14886231 said:
Speaking as someone who is from the deep South and has spent 24 of the last 26 years here, I wish there was a lot more demonization of the Confederacy from my fellow Southerners. Gone With the Wind style romanticization makes me queasy, and I figure that if my home is ever going to rise above the status of "belittled country backwater," we're going to have to come to terms with the facts that 1) the Confederacy were the bad guys, and 2) we're not the CSA, and haven't been for the last 150+ years.

Of course, I *do* still get annoyed when people from elsewhere use the term "Southern" pejoratively, but I'm not going to pretend like we don't have problems, and this weird historical-identity one is a significant one we really need to have gotten over by now.[/quote

Agreed, its one of those things that I'm surprised both 'sides' perpetuate even today =/

side note: While I'm not saying the south wasn't bad or racist, its pretty clear they were mad that the banning of slavery was going to hit them in the wallet, and that, above all else is what they were mad at. Less 'subjugate the negros' and more 'free enforced labor, of which we can do to these here negros'

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Silverspud said:
I'm just glad that mid-credits comments will be returning. You had me worried, Bob.
As was I. I always stick through the credits to see them.

Is it weird that the most interesting thing ABOUT this vid to me has nothing to do with the actual movie review?

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
I could hardly disagree more. The movie was unbearably dull.

I can only suppose that there is more to enjoy if you know something about Lincoln's life (which I don't), but without that there is almost nothing of interest at all in the characters or plot.

Whatever, I didn't go to a movie called "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" for characters and plot, I'm here to see ass-kicking! Nope, that's a horrendous mess of badly integrated CGI, confusing camera angles and ever-present smoke effects that obscure everything in the biggest battle sequences.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
ollieoz17 said:
As a South Carolinian who doesn't positively view the Confederate flag, may I hug you?

Also, good to see that the credits will be coming back. I'll see this after Brave, wallet willing.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln gets the Buffy treatment in this upcoming movie.

Watch Video
While I'm not in any way personally touched or outraged, I do feel like the Civil War tie-in could be seen as offensive... by Lincoln fans.

Obviously the anti-Slavery-but-pro-Confederacy section of the Southern population will be upset about yet another movie that presents the entire region as slave-hungry monsters, so that isn't really a surprise of any sort.

And there are those who already believe that Lincoln's abolition of slavery was more political than ideological, so some (not all) of the Hero rhetoric is misplaced. But there are many who sincerely believe in Lincoln as a Champion of Equality, stopping at nothing until every person was free and equal in the eyes of the law...

...but in this movie, freeing the slaves is just sort of something he does on the way to his personal revenge against the Vampires? That is to say, freeing the slaves was to a degree incidental to his personal/political purpose of defeating an enemy uprising?

Interesting...

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Holy shit, you mean this was actually adequate?
I plan to see it, expecting it to be really stupid. Lowering my standards temporarily is usually enough to help me enjoy something, but it looks like I might be raising the bar a couple steps when I watch this.

To be sure, I don't feel MovieBob is always correct, but he usually gives me -something- to go by.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
This should be interesting then. I planned for the movie to be pretty bad, honestly so my expectations are low but I'll see anything that involves Honest Abe kicking the teeth out of vampires Blade-style once.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
Dastardly said:
...but in this movie, freeing the slaves is just sort of something he does on the way to his personal revenge against the Vampires? That is to say, freeing the slaves was to a degree incidental to his personal/political purpose of defeating an enemy uprising?

Interesting...
I wouldn't say that that's a fair reading of the movie. Movie.Lincoln is really only given two motivating character traits: vampires must die and slaves must be free. While the movie is more about the former than the latter, it is very clear that his commitment to freedom and equality is independent from his desire for revenge.

The movie is still a stupid and boring waste of time, but it seems to have been very careful not to portray Lincoln's real world counterpart as anything but a paragon of racial equality.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I wanna go see this, but my girlfriend doesn't, which has kinda put an end to any thought of seeing it.

My TV guide, who can be very, very picky when it comes to film reviews due to their professionalism (they gave Dark Knight 3/5, complaining about the structure, being the only place to have reviewed it with less than 4 stars from what I can see) gave Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 4 stars, so I am kinda tempted to rope some hobo into seeing it with me or something.

Kinda saddened by your thoughts on Brave, Bob. It looked really good to me, and your review of it isn't the only one that's said that it isn't up there with Pixar's finest. Coincidentally, my girlfriend is dragging ME to see that. WHY NOT VAMPIRE HUNTER?!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
MaraJade03 said:
aww I was kinda hoping for a Brave review. But nice to know Abraham Lincoln is a fun movie.
I wonder if he'd of liked it, if you've seen his Up! review you've kinda seen Bob's take that the Pixtar films are generally fantasies for boys and surrounding Male characters in their own little crisis, but if you've seen the Cars 2 review you've probably noted he doesn't like when that formula shifts in a 180 degree focusing on NASCAR instead of like Super Heroes that of the Incredibles with a James Bond set up like villain, or action figures and toys like Toy Story 1, 2, 3 was. Given that I would of thought he'd call it well-meaning but it doesn't strike home like other Pixtar films. But hey I'm not a psychic and I'm not one to say that Bob wouldn't give it a chance. So I say it would of been interesting to see his take on a female character fighting against what was considered a female role in her time.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm honestly somewhat THRILLED to know you recognized that many of us miss the mid-credits gags just as I was sadly wondering if they were gone for good.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Abe vampire killer seems fun... Brave A bit disappointing but still good enough to sell on me... Self confessed sucker for Pixar movies.

And yea I miss some of the fun parts in Escape to the movies
(captcha "whoops a daisy") 8)

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
You know what?

I'm going to go see a film at the cinema for the first time in years (Startrek Nemesis for crying out loud) because of this review.

Oh and I know that I could have gone to see better films, but I really don't care. I go to the cinema for a laugh, if I want something moving I'll watch it at home, on the PC.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
As a Virginian I don't think I have ever met anyone who thought that the confederates weren't in the wrong. Anyway, I might just check this out purely for the cheese value.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
Glad to see the mid-credit inserts will be returning. I figured you had just been too busy with other things to put any in. Glad to know they'll be back, nonetheless.