Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Alice in Wonderland

MovieBob goes down the rabbit hole and reviews Alice in Wonderland.

Watch Video

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
The link apears to be broken.

Aparently if I had waited 30 seconds more the video would have finished being uploaded to the site, live and learn I guess.

Disapointed that the Bob thinks the movie sucked, I was kind of thinking of going to see it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Ugh, I was looking forward to this to. Seriously, why couldn't make a faithful adaptation to story and call it day?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Again, I thank the Escapist for that ad, which will drastically reduce the number of people with brains who will actually buy that game, thus keeping the multiplayer servers of games I like free of morons.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I kind of saw this coming I was not really excited to see this film. I mean it looked pretty but looking pretty does not make a good film. So im skipping this one . Oh and on a side note I liked Charlie and the chocolate factory but to each his own.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
LOOK AT ME!

I haven't even watched the rest of the movie yet, and this had me rolling on the floor.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I am still watching it, it seems like a good adaptation. The story itself is weak anyway, so the movie will reflect that. I agree that adding CGI to a weak story does not make it better, really, but it should be watchable.

Dec 14, 2009
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob
I love it when people make dogmatic assumptions.
At any rate, the general consensus seems to imply that the action climax is unwarranted.
When I've seen it myself, I'll form my opinion.

- Sweeney Todd, by the way, was Burton's most drab and uninspired film to date.

Melion

Apr 16, 2009
Based on the trailer, I had this uneasy feeling that the "EPIC WAR BETWIN GOOD AND EVIL WOOT!" would not fit together with Alice In Wonderland at all.

Looks like I was right...

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.
I really like the way you put it. I full agree with you good sir.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Actually, I'm honestly surprised you didn't mention Armond White in the beginning of your review in reply to those criticisms that you've apparently been getting. Seriously, guys, Armond White called Martin Scorcese a hack. And he's got one of the worst tastes in movies on this side of reality. And need I mention his "Better Than" lists that he writes up at the end of every year? Ugh! *shudders*

In other news, I might look at this myself, if only to get a small inkling of what to expect in terms of Sweeney Todd's visual style...

twilinova07

Nov 26, 2008
well what a shame. It still looks absoluetly fantastic but I need more than that in my movies.

Lets hope his next film is another "Edward Scissorhands" instead of another "Chocolate Factory." I really want another Burton hit, not another Burton tragedy.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Wait wait wait, it has fight scenes? This is based on Alice in Wonderland? What?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
mchoueiri said:
I kind of saw this coming I was not really excited to see this film. I mean it looked pretty but looking pretty does not make a good film.
Not going to point out what that says about Avatar, but I AM hoping for an upset Sunday.

This review has now prompted me to dig out American McGee's Alice this weekend and have some fun with a psycho totally leagal gal dealing with the death of her family.